Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

My Vikane Experience at Multi-unit Dwelling

(3 posts)
  1. sereneseek

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 3:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

A few weeks ago our apartment complex (three separate structures) was tented and Vikaned. After two bite-free days in my apartment I started getting bites again. I assumed that I had reinfested--maybe from my car. I just learned that one (and maybe a second) tenant in my complex (one of them is upstairs from me and one apartment over and the other is in a separate structure behind me) started getting bites a couple of days after we were back. None of us has seen a single bug.

I'm wondering if they used enough gas. Are these bugs coming in from outside--possibly from the crawl space beneath our buildings? I'm wondering what we do now. Spray again? I thought we were home free with the Vikane.

The PCO my building manager uses (it has a contract with them) has had a defeatist attitude toward treating and, frankly, I know more than it does from reading these boards. This PCO subcontracted the Vikane out, but gave us the prep instructions for that process which were lacking. I really don't think they understand how easy it is to transfer these things. I used the information I learned from these boards to prepare, so I don't think that was it. I was not bitten at the hotel for four days, so I don't think what I took with me and brought back in reinfested my apartment.

I'm stumped but would not discourage anyone from using Vikane--it's just difficult when one lives in a multi-unit dwelling, because I have no control over what the other tenants are taking out and bringing back in.

I do think, however, that it knocked the bugs down to a manageable population, and maybe I can go at them with chemicals now.

2. barelyliving

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 7:43:46
    #

Login to Send PM

You're probably nervous to bring this up to the landlord, but maybe she could check if they did it right and make them re-do it. If three of you are still getting bitten, esp. w/ you being very careful, you probably have a strong case that there was an error.

I had Vikane done on my house and it was 100% effective, so I know it can be done. The landlord needs to know if they didn't do it correctly. Good luck.

3. sereneseek

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 9:30:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your response. Well...I know they are in my car now and not sure if I reinfested my apartment by way of car, but then the others would have had to reinfest too. The building manager wants to spray the other person's apartment who is getting bites; I'm trying to find a way to bring it up to them. I'm thinking of asking them if they will plug all the holes and cracks in my apartment because I feel like I'm getting bitten. That will open the door.

I'm kicking myself right now b/c at our meeting before Vikane I should have brought up that some of us may have transferred them to our cars and we might be bringing them back in. Maybe they would have done our cars too. That's another example of how PCOs (and most folks who haven't had them) don't realize how insidious these things are.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,265 posts in 29,422 topics over 90 months by 12,691 of 19,952 members. Latest: IvyGreene, Shawna weaver, SFgirl2345