Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

My Story... and new bites after first treatment... I hope not!

(5 posts)
  1. bugaoff_uk

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 6:07:33
    #

Login to Send PM

So here's my story:

In late July 2017 I went on a weekend stag do to Budapest Hungary staying in an apartment which all 16 of us shared. The beds were arranged like a disaster relief centre, box beds and mattresses throughout the apartment. Very low budget!

When returning I emptied my backpack onto the couch. I was in work the next day - just took out my phone charger and left the rest of the clothes in a ball on the couch. Only washed them the following day after work.

A day or so after I got back, I noticed I had been completely covered in bites. None of the other 15 staying with me have reported the same. I assumed it could be a rash or infection but the doctors said it followed the pattern of bed bug bites. I searched my apartment and couldn't find any evidence.

Then I found a live bed bug walking along the wall above my couch. I called the exterminator who had availability the following day to do a full initial treatment, with a followup to be booked in 3 weeks.

The treatment consisted of: full apartment spray with cypermethrin (Cimetrol) residual, DE behind sockets and light switches, and a fogging using a machine and something called ULV 500. I stayed in a hotel for 2 nights (the night before the treatment - which I used to store my washed dried and bagged clothes) and the night after to give the fog chance to really permeate.

I also took a photo diary of my whole body bites.

For the first week after treatment, no new bites. Great.

Then on day 8 after treatment, I got some new "bites". However, I am not convinced they are bites. They look only as "angry" as the original bites which are now 2 weeks old. However the areas with them were definitely not anything other than smooth skin when I took the photos.

So my question is: is it possible to continue getting bitten but have a less "angry" reaction? Does your skin "get used" to the bites the second time you're bitten? I am hoping these are the often-talked-about stress spots or some other bite.

Seems odd how it would take them 8 days to bite me again. I'm hoping by the fact that the new bites are in the same area as the majority of the previous bites, they are just original bites that "didn't show" until much later. Not sure if that's a thing either?

I should say, I still haven't found any evidence of an infestation (no skins, fecal matter or blood stains). The only evidence of any infestation was the solo adult live male I found walking along my wall prior to calling the exterminator. The exterminator couldn't find any evidence either. I'm hoping I brought back only one or two in my bag and caught the problem in time (within a week of landing).

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 7:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This information is for your friends on the trip as much as you, this issue may be effecting a few of you.

The long term solution is learning the importance of checking when you travel to avoid the issue in the first place. There are inspection videos int he FAQs of the site.

Sorry to say it but ULV-500 has not been recommended for bed bug in the UK for about 5 years because of the risk of dispersal. The DE int he sockets is also an overkill.

In recent introductions like this the correct strategy is to focus on isolating and dealing with the potentially infested items brought back as bed bus will usually associate with them for a few days to a few weeks.

Then its an issue of manual hunting and eradication and optimising of the remaining property so that if something escapes that it settles and is easy to resolve on a follow up visit if needed. Its basically a scenario where TbyPMR works as a surgical approach rather than a "treat as if it were an established infestation".

They key problem at this stage is that ULV causes dispersal to the extent that bed bugs may not behaving as normally as you would want and may be in more remote places than usual.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. bugaoff_uk

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 7:38:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David

The Pest Controller is registered with the BPCA... should I be concerned he used ULV?

In your experience, is it possible for some bites to manifest themselves visibly a week after others, if they were bitten at the same time?

The only evidence I have found - at all - was a single live bedbug. No skins or fecal matter. I only brought a small backpack, but I guess it could have housed many bugs for all I know!

The second treatment is just another spray of Cimetrol. I've thrown away bedding but not my mattress or couch (which was where I found the bedbug, before the treatment, and where I emptied my backpack). Not sure how to tell if I still have a problem! The couch is charcoal in colour, so seeing any fecal matter on that would be difficult I guess.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 7:49:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The use of ULV is not recommended under the EU code of best practices for bed bug control. Sorry but clubs which don't regulate their members have no value being in and that's my stance on trade bodies.

It is not harmful but it is not helpful to your aim of eradicating bed bugs.

I have written extensively on bites both here and on my home site, its not the thing you need to focus on at this stage as they are not reliable. If you search for the "bite primer" you will get the latest information.

I would suggest you look at monitoring of the area for ongoing activity and share the better information with those you traveled with so they can deal with the issue more appropriately.

David

5. bugaoff_uk

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 8:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

The stress of hunting-and-not-finding is really getting to me. I've taken everything apart and can't find any further evidence. The hunt continues.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335