MY ROOM IS INFESTED, where do I start?

(2 posts)
  1. dontknowwhattodo

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Mar 19 2010 20:29:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm only a teenager, and only my room is infested with bedbugs since January. I've been sleeping on the couch for 2 months and haven't been bit. My mom is skeptical, and thinks it's only because I have a messy room. This Spring Break, I have to start cleaning out my room.

MY MASTER PLAN:
    1) get rid of wooden desk
    2) get rid of wooden bedframe and buy a metal one
    3) buy mattress and pillow bedbug protectors
    4) vaccum the entire floor
    5) clean and wash entire closet
    6) get rid of clutter & inspect all items
    7) Lysol? (mom)

QUESTIONS:
    1) How do i convince my mom I have bed bugs and Lysol will not work? she's cheap & won't buy incesticides
    2) How do I make sure bed bugs will be gone 100%?
    3) What measure should I take to get rid of these evil creatures?

I'm scared to get bit while I'm cleaning!! I still have scars from my bites 2 months ago. I don't think I can sleep peacefully knowing something is after my blood.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 20 2010 8:19:27
    #

Login to Send PM

DKWTD,

Sorry you're going through this.

Lysol won't work, and it is usually necessary to get one (and usually multiple) treatments from a pro who has a lot of experience killing bed bugs. If bed bugs were easy to kill, I'd put an ad up for the product that would do it easily, and close this site down.

The first thing that's REALLY important is to make sure you actually have bed bugs.

Have you seen them? Did you compare to photos here? Has anyone else confirmed the ID? Depending where you live (and you can private message me if you do not want to say where on the forums), we may be able to suggest someone who can ID them. A good photo can often be identified here on the forums.

There are other things which can cause similar symptoms but need different treatement, so identification is KEY.

The second thing to consider: are you renting or does your family own your home? If you are a tenant, in many places, landlords are responsible for treatment.

If this is true, it may make it a bit easier to get your mom to seek help.

Finally, many people are resistant to this idea because they have not known anyone who had bed bugs, and this has not been a widespread problem since the 1940s. My relatives thought I was crazy too -- except ones who had seen a news report on the growth of the problem.

That said, they are becoming really common. Once you're sure this is what you have, we may be able to point you to some resources and articles to help convince your mom to take action.

Above all else, know you are NOT alone.
    Other teens in your situation have been on the forums before. Even a lot of the adults here (like myself) had a hard time convincing people what we were going through. (This is common because not everyone reacts to bed bug bites, and the pests themselves are so hard to catch in the act.)

Everyone here understands where you're coming from.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.