My problem is gone

(38 posts)
  1. Bugfree

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 1:43:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Much to my horror, I experienced a bedbug problem both in my bed and living room couch. They had gone unnoticed for about 3-4 months, according to the PCO I used. So it was not a bad and long-term infestation, but shocked me nonetheless, as I am not a native New Yorker and had never experienced any problems with pests of any kind (cockroaches, bedbugs, etc.). Apparently I was either not being bit much, or just didn't know it, as I had no welts, bites marks, or any indication. The only way I knew they were there is that I finally saw a few black specks on my sheets (I wasn't washing them as often as I should, because I don't spend much time in my bedroom). After becoming appropriately sick, paranoid, and paralyzed with fear for a few days, I did a lot of research online. I came across this site (bedbugger.com), and started to review all the treatments people were blogging about. One stuck out - mitebuster.com - because the person said they were not only sympathetic and caring, but used a non-toxic product. As a private consultant, I frequently have clients in my home, so I decided for safety to try the non-toxic approach first.

I called mitebuster, and talked to Gianni, who was really wonderful on the phone. Very informative, and explained their procedure. I booked an appointment, and he and his partner Luis showed up, and could not have been more thorough and helpful. Sprayed the entire bedroom, sanitized and sealed the mattress, sprayed the entire couch. Also steam cleaned the rugs at my option. And, since this is a non-toxic product, I did not even have to leave my home... I stayed and watched a learned a lot about bedbugs! Disgusting creatures, and I really became sick when they found a large number in my tufted pillows. There were also a few on my bedroom walls. They categorized my infestation as "mild" (thankfully), and honestly said it was a good thing I called and acted before letting the problem get any worse.

Well, after only one treatment, they are all gone. Mitebuster offers two free follow-ups, and they came again two weeks later for a repeat spray of the bedroom and couch just for my peace of mind. I may not even bother with the second follow-up, as I have seen nothing almost two months.

They do offer other services and treatment, such as Diatomaceous Earth, and sealing and caulking. I did not use the DE option. They also give you a bottle of their Enzyme cleaner, which kills bedbugs and eggs on contact. I did continue to lightly spray my pillows and couch every day for a week, just to make sure none were missed.

I cannot emphasize enough how happy and completely painless the treatment was. They moved furniture, lifted mattresses, were careful of my belongings, and were genuinely pleasant and took a lot of time to explain everything to me and answer all my questions. I cannot guarantee that this is the way to go for everybody, but it worked for me, and I highly recommend their services. Plus, if anyone is concerned about toxicity or safety (for the elderly, children, a small closed living space, etc.), their treatment is ideal. And in my opinion, very economical for what you get.

I still use their enzyme spray, and mist occasionally just for my own peace of mind. If I have people over sitting on the couch, I give it a light treatment after everyone is gone. It dries very quickly, and leaves no residue or stain. It was mitebuster's opinion that probably someone brought it into my home, and I transmitted it to my bed. (I live alone, and no one but me sleeps in my bed).

Hope this helps anyone out there who is experiencing this really awful problem. Shocked the hell out of me, but Gianni and Luis calmed me down and made the solution so much easier. I have read some of the horror stories here, the lengths to which people go to guard against them, and completely understand what this problem can do to your life and your mental state. Mitebuster gave me my sanity back, and the comfort of living in my own home again.

I noticed in my initial search of this site that some people referred to mitebuster, but said their website was down. I think this is because I saw that people were talking about "mitebusters", which is not an active site, and that term seems to be a national chain. I used "mitebuster.com", which is a company in New Jersey, which services most of New York. In fact, I have another home out-of-state, and for an additional fee, mitebuster was kind enough to travel and treat that home just for my own peace of mind, although after a thorough search, they found nothing. But it was worth it. I hate bugs!!!

(Admin note: Bugfree posted this message to the forums five times in two days, despite being warned against this, and therefore was subsequently barred from the forums. S/he had posted no other messages on any topic.)

2. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 1:58:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bugfree Congrats.
    After the three or four months--can you estimate how many bugs you had for us?
    To me this sounds like a moderate infestation--not a "light" infestation. A light one is like (for me) under 25 bugs, and if they were breeding unhindered for up to four months you would have had 2-3 hundred!
    Thanks for posting that in the success stories for us.
    also--is this a single home as opposed to an apartment or condo? Was the area heavily or sparsly populated? A major city? if so--which one?
    I know it is the New York area but are you refering to NYC???
    thanks
    Willow

3. nyjammin

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 7:48:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I'm battling with bbs. I was wondering if mitebusters did your whole place like the bathroom and kitchen, etc. in addition to your couch and bed. I have 2 kids and a boyfriend that works in Manhattan. I've tried different pco's to no avail. I've been trying to get rid of these bbs since the first week of January. I was also wondering if you bagged and washed all your clothes and bagged all your belongings like books and paperwork, etc. in addition to mitebusters treatment? The bbs were in my couch and I got rid of that. I bought a futon instead to use as a couch because I could cover the mattress, but with a couch I could not. I live in the Bronx and will call mitebusters to see if they will cover me. I hope they will!

4. nyjammin

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 8:07:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, are they expensive? How much did they charge you? And also how do you know that you are free of bbs? How long has it been since they did the treatments? Sorry for so many questions. I'm at my wit's end here. Thanks.

5. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 8:20:07
    #

Login to Send PM

bugfree....who are you? I realize you posted the same thing on two different threads due to not knowing "user etiquette"... but your post also seems like an advertisement. can you describe a little bit more for us what your situation is/was and what you are doing NOW to control it?

6. nyjammin

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 8:45:16
    #

Login to Send PM

WMSB: sounds like you think this is "too good to be true"?

7. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 9:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I looked up the website...and the company is legit and looks fine. But this "Bugfree" member just appeared out of nowhere and posted 3 times the exact same thing.... and then disappeared. Didn't answer any questions or anything...so... it looks like an ad. The company is probably fine...but the "member" I think is really a shill.

Nobugs? Your thoughts?

8. nyjammin

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 9:28:35
    #

Login to Send PM

WMSB: Yeah, just became a member today??? And Bugfree you stated in your post above and I quote "I noticed in my initial search of this site that some people referred to mitebuster". When you said "initial search" when was that because your profile states that you became a member only today.

9. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 9:32:29
    #

Login to Send PM

NYJ i just pm'd u

10. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 10:05:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I find it hard to believe also. It does sound like an advertisement. If it is - shame on you.

11. coopbugged

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 10:41:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Gosh, you guys are so suspicious! Sounded to me like she had "lurked" here for advice, found a good PCO and came back and registered so she could post a positive experience. I think probably most people have more positive experiences than those who tend to post here. People who get rid of bed bugs relatively quickly and easily generally do not post here. I like to think this person was just giving a shoutout to a good vendor who provided good service. PCO's have plenty of business these days, I don't think they need to shill in the forum.

12. nyjammin

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 10:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Everytime I call the toll-free number I get an answering machine. How come I don't get a real person. Why do I have to leave my name and number and if I need to call them back, they could very well ignore my calls.

13. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 11:05:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, I didn't see a local address. They say they treat my area, but I personally would want to know where they are 'cause I'm weird like that. I'm all for anything all natural. I didn't stay in my place for a week after each application.

14. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 11:29:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Coopbugged: I partially disagree. I agree that she may have "lurked" for advice...but the entire post was copied onto three unrelated threads... and she never came back to answer questions. Maybe the company is legit...but the poster should have really intro'd herself before offering US advice.
    That's how I see it anyway.
    I don't think it was wrong...just weird since she opened with reference to "poster etiquette" ha ha ha.
    I'm the suspicious one.
    Oh well.

15. Bugfree

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 12:31:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, there is really a lot I don't know about this whole posting thing! I'm sorry that everyone had such a negative reaction, but I thought that was what this site was for... to come on and tell your story, for good or bad. I will try to give more information, without comprising my privacy (I am still VERY ashamed that I even had the problem, although I know it's not my fault).

I am NOT giving an ad, nor connected with the company that treated my homes in any way. Before March, I knew absolutely NOTHING about bedbugs, because I originally come from New England, where I have never experienced any. As I said, I googled "bedbugs" back then, found your site, read as much info as I could, and decided on mitebuster to do the work. It's that simple. Didn't expect to be called names for that.

As far as my connection with this site - if "lurking" means just reading the info without registering, that's what I did, because I thought it was my right and what this site is for. If it's not for people who are seeking information to come, read, and then come back and tell their story, then what good is it? There was NO rule that I saw that I had to register to read all these stories and get help. I now come back to tell my story, in the hopes it might work for others, and I was a little taken aback to not be welcomed.

A little info that was requested (I'll try to answer each question as I read it downwards, again sorry for my inexperience in not providing all this first or "introducing" myself):

I originally found the bedbugger.com site in mid-March, after discovering my problem. I didn't see any requirement to register.
    This was a Manhattan condo in a large luxury building. No other problems of this sort have been reported. I live alone.
    I saw (and mitebuster seemed to find) no more than 50 or so bugs. You can make the call as to what to call that level of infestation, or how long you think I had them. I have no idea, I only know when I first saw them, in mid-March.
    Mitebuster offices are apparently in New Jersey, from their billing invoice.
    They were willing to do any area needed, but I only did the living room couch, rugs, and bedroom. They were of the opinion that, at my problem level, bugs do not normally live in kitchens and bathrooms.
    I did originally wash and bag everything, but am now taking things out and living normally.
    I do put a cover on the couch whenever I have business meetings here, and throw it right in the wash afterwards. This was mitebuster's suggestion, I would not have thought of it myself.
    The treatment was done in the middle of March, and nothing since then.
    I was under the impression that quoting prices and giving phone numbers constituted commercial advertising, so you should probably visit their site and get the info for yourself.
    Sorry my post seemed like an ad, but it was not. And sorry to post more than once, but I wasn't sure anyone would see it the other way. Only by seeing that original post months ago, was I able to solve my problem by finding a PCO that worked for me.
    I'm doing nothing other than covering my couch, and being visually aware of my bedding. I had them double-bag the mattress in vinyl casing, and I keep it a few inches from the walls, just in case.
    I'm not sure why anyone who calls gets an answering machine, every time I ever called their phone number, Gianni answered (I believe it goes right to his cell). Are you sure you are visiting "www.mitebuster.com" and dialing correctly?
    To the person who referred to me as "she" - I am in fact a guy.
    And to the poster who said I should have introduced myself before offering advice (wantmyskinback, I believe) - I didn't know enough to do that. But I am NOT offering advice to people here, who seem more expert that I am. Everything I've read here indicates everyone's problem is different, and requires different solutions. Mine worked for me, it might not be enough for you. But all I can say is - they killed all the bugs, and none came back. I'm just telling my story like everyone else seems to be doing here. If I was wrong to do that, I'm sorry.

I apologize that so abruptly registering has caused everyone so much emotional reaction. But it was very emotional for me to have this problem, it is disgusting. I hope this info satisfies the questions, I'll try and check back in a day or so to see if there are any more. But as one poster said (and I agree), people like me who have a light problem and solve it easily, don't really become a part of this discussion and make it a part of their life. In fact, I'd personally rather forget it. But I came back here because this site is what led me to mitebuster, and I wanted to tell of my success in solving my problem. I don't mean to insult anyone, but quite frankly if I had to become a member and participate in ongoing forum discussions for EVERY site I've ever visited to quickly find out information, I'd have no life! That's the beauty of the internet for me... quick search, find my answers, and solve my problem.

I wish everyone well and success with their problems. I will try to answer any more specific questions if I can, when I check back.

16. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 14:15:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Bugfree.
    You and I were the only one's on line last night, when you posted and copied your story. I saw it--was surprised, happy then I saw it again and then again. Just a few days ago I had cut and pasted a few things in a few places too, so although we do “DO THAT HERE, ” most people NEVER do.

(In fact I have only done it like 3 times in the 2 months I've been here). Maybe you saw that and just figured to do it--you were right.

I'm not sure where I got the idea that it was 3 or 4 months, so I apologize for that. It was sleepy and just about to turn in … I saw your three posts and so, it's OK to do what you did, but you also have to realize, say once a week or so, we will get a person on here, they are "not cooperative" so to speak: They are too vague with explaining the problem they have and so we can't really advise them except from our own experiences. that is not good. Bed bugs act different in each home they invade to some degree.

(As you can see we ask "newbites" a lot of questions! Sorry for that!).

So ... you are a “Lurker … and a “Newbite” all in one—even though you seemingly have battled bed bugs and won!

God ... when I first came on here they did it to me, too; but I stayed because I was too freaked out by having the bugs and I had no clue as to what to do.

CONGRATULATIONS. I THINK THE SPREADING OF A CLOTH ON THE COUCH IS A GREAT IDEA. (One member also suggests (which I'm sure you've figured out on your own, that she never allows company to throw coats onto her bed when they have a party.)

Bed bugs are so bizarre; and irksome--some of us HAVE to make it "our life for right now".
    You did the right thing--and although I was suspicious I did hot lash out at you and I am SO GLAD 1) you came back and 2) your a guy and they thought you were a gal. It's usually the opposite here! lol
    Please do stick around some and give us a few pointers if you can. Or ... read (lurk ... yes that's what it means) more and perhaps you will have more questions and gain even more insight.
    These bugs tend to come back, especially in a crowded place and so you MAY have neighbors with the bugs (knowing they do or not) and if by chance they should suddenly exterminate ... the possibility of you getting them again is there.
    COOPBUG is right ... we are mostly suspicious but as you can see we have good reason to be. Indeed, just three days ago I wrote a small post about this very topic.
    (Some one came on here and said they had bed bugs in a jar and that they pooped up a storm. I have one captive and He/she never seems to poop at all, until yesterday So in that case the “Lurker” who posted and disappeared was sort of correct. Yukk!

These bed bugs are gross yes ... for sure!

We are actually mostly nice folks, under stress and perhaps 1/2 of us are very financially stressed over this whole bed bug thing.

Just to be clear though here is one more question (from me) Do you mean March 2006 or March 2007?
    In the end … it did sort of sound like one of those too good to be true ads we see about bed bugs.
    Please stick around some … we really need influential people, as far as anonymity goes
    I describe my situation in a way that nobody even my next door neighbor would know it was me if they were reading my posts.
    IMHO we need more guys on here! Please stay!

17. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 14:34:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Good point, Willow- why is it that we females seem to be the majority here? We obviously must be sweeter-tasting to the BBs.

18. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 14:36:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugfree,
    Do not be upset if people find stories at times hard to believe. Everyone is under a great amount of stress. We all have had a hard
    time in attacking the bugs that your story may seem a so easy that it can be hard to believe. I will research into these guys.
    Hard to believe that it was recommended to you that if you have company to spread a sheet over the couch and that will guard against an infestation, actually it seems absurd, doing that will not prevent against an infestation. The bugs will crawl out of a person's clothes or luggage and retreat to the first good location they could find such as A crack in the floor or crawl up a wall.
    I do not wish to spoil your positive feelings but I would advise more research on your part. Try calling some of the top bed bug Entomologists and hear what they will say. God forbid but you may still have bugs and they are biting but your immune system is not reacting. Also a possibility is that they became dormant.

What chemicals did these guys use?

19. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 14:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

-Blow this is a pointthat has come up over and over again ... Scary but my little "pet" is like not into biting me! oh and just for he rcord visa versa. Next time ... it will be 8 to 10 days ... I just don't want OLLI to die ... If he/she did ... I'd probalby be even more inquisitive and I might then go searchig out a new one???
    probably not!
    Hey all! It is a fabulous day here in SF--I'm out and about and feleing bugfree! it is so rare! So when it happens? PLEASE take full advantage of it!

(Also NYJ ... when you went to the zoo a few weeks ago ... many of us feel like that ... it will pass as soon as you get the awful situation under controll--and you will! ... I SAW you were on-line so I stuck that in as a semi note of inspiration.)

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 18:50:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bugfree,

Let me clarify a few things, since I run the site. Welcome, first of all! I am glad you are here. However, just to clarify for everyone, posting the same message more than once is not permitted. I have deleted the three other postings of the same message (!) and left this one. Thankfully people had only responded to this one, or it would have been a mess.

Also, please don't be offended that people thought you might be an advertiser. People often come to our site and post comments which are endorsing products. If they're visiting for the first time, sometimes it looks a little fishy. You're right, though, that there are legit reasons people will come on and register and post once, and that's fine too.

Although I am glad you shared your experience with mitebusters, and that you had good luck with them, I am skeptical about the services for bed bugs.

Here's why:

I actually looked into their service. It consists of steam cleaning (deep steam cleaning) and the use of an enzyme cleaner (akin to Kleen Free and similar products available over the counter), followed up by the customer spraying more enzyme cleaner, and more steam cleaning of apt. and bed by mitebusters.

All of the absolutely can play a role in fighting bed bugs. But my hunch is, it is very rarely enough.

We've had only one mitebusters customer who was a regular on our site. He liked their services immensely, but he also followed up by repeatedly spraying lots of pesticides himself (including D-force, and others--I cannot remember them all). His fight went on a long time. I know he had a significant infestation, but it was clear that the problem was not going to be solved by mitebusters alone, though I daresay they helped.

I do not consider mitebusters a PCO because they do not apply any of the traditional treatments (pesticides, mainly) and I do not think they're considered PCOs by the government (since PCOs are licensed by the state), and this is not mentioned on their website. I think it would be more accurate to call them a cleaning service, since steam and enzyme cleaners are cleaning methods. That's not to say they don't also kill bed bugs, but that they do so only on contact.

Residual pesticides and dusts can kill not just when you spray or steam a bed bug directly. I am glad mitebusters offers the option of using DE and I think this is a positive move. But I would caution others against thinking they can do this without harsher pesticides, and I really encourage people to have a PCO experienced with bed bugs do that application and re-application (every 10-14 days). (And I am not a PCO.)

Finally, I am surprised you said you chose mitebusters after reading about them here on bedbugger.com. The only time they've been discussed on the blog is when the one poster I mentioned described his experiences. His fight with bed bugs was long and mitebusters was supplemented by many pesticides applied by him. So which post were you thinking of? Maybe you can link us to it (it might be one I missed!)

Many thanks and welcome again,
    nobugs

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  21. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 21 2007 19:04:31
    #

Login to Send PM

OOOPS! my mistake. thought we could copy and paste ... sorry 4 that!

22. Bugfree

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 0:39:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the turnaround - I don't feel so bad now! No need for ANYONE to apologize, and I'll try and answer your questions and respond to your opinions.

Willow - I meant March 2007. The problem only appeared in March of this year, and I have been living in this condo for over a decade with no pest/rodent/insect problems of ANY kind. And thank you for your kind words! I hope you get rid of your problem as well.

Lieutenantdan - Thanks for your comments, and I understand the stress. The short amount of time I had the problem, caused me no end of mental distress and sleeplessness, so I can only imagine what those of you who have been fighting for months are going through. Incredible. Regarding the couch-cover... I had them custom made after the problem, and they are completely washable and bleacheable. Of course, just keeping the cover on the couch provides no protection - but after I have meetings here with people sitting on the couch, the cover gets a little spritz of enzyme solution, and into the wash it goes - every day. That was the proactive recommendation made by mitebusters after querying me as to my living and social habits. And all company leaves their coats, backpacks, purses, and belongings in my foyer, nothing comes into the condo proper. Shoes off, too! And I did look into the biology of bedbugs in my initial research... how they seek out thermal sources, are attracted to carbon dioxide, their reproductive cycle, their longevity, etc. I think all the info I got might have come from an entomology website. But in the end, I wasn't interested in becoming an expert, I just wanted them GONE, and would pay anything for that to happen. I do not believe they are still in my condo.. haven't seen one, it is a newer building (post 1980), poured concrete walls and structure, very soundproof and secure. So hopefully, I won't suffer the relapses some have. Mitebusters does not use pesticides or harmful chemcials (they are not a licensed PCO to my knowledge), they use an enzyme solution which kills bugs and eggs on contact. They also offer DE as an option.

nobugsonme - thanks for the welcome! I must somewhat disagree with your assessment of mitebusters... from what I saw and experienced, it can be enough. Now granted, I did not wait a year until I had thousands of bugs. They in fact said themselves that if I had had the problem for years and the entire condo and furnishings and belongings were infested, it might be beyond their scope to help me completely. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. The overriding reason why I chose them was from the NONTOXIC viewpoint. It was essential for me not to have any dangerous chemical treatment in my home, for personal reasons. So I decided to start with them. In fact, when I first spoke to mitebusters, I told them upfront I wanted to start with their nontoxic treatment, and if that didn't work, I'd have to move on to a PCO who uses chemicals and pesticides and toxins. I didn't see any reason not to start with something totally safe first, before using toxic treatments. My feeling is - if someone comes in and treats your home, and kills every bug and no new ones hatch or are found after 3 weeks, then what's the problem? It's a success!! And I couldn't be happier. Oh, and by the way - I just found out that mitebuster now has a bug-sniffing dog!! Imagine that, I didn't know there was such a thing. I may let the dog come to my second follow-up, which I've decided to go through with anyway, just because it's included.

Now, truth be told, I did do other things, such as bag and dry clean most of my clothing, throw away rugs which were under the bed, discard comforters and bedding and a heated mattress pad (love those!) and a heavy velvet couch cover which covered the couch, wrapped my mattress in vinyl casings twice (actually, three times, at my request), and had mitebusters calk and seal the baseboards in my bedroom. All this was done at their suggestion, and I followed what they said to the letter, since I felt they were the experts. I also had the luxury of adjusting my work schedule and I had the money to do all this. So there is my fair disclosure.

I saved the info that led me to mitebusters. The link is no long valid, but it came from a site called bedbugger.wordpress.com - here is the link (which leads to a 404 error): Dec 27th 2006 at 6:46 pm. It seems that this site was run by you originally, or it merged with your site? In any event, if you want the text of the VERY lengthy post by "buggedinbrooklyn", I can email it to you. It is what led me to start with mitebusters.

wantmyskinback - thanks for your good wishes! I wish I had more to offer, but my experience with bedbugs was very brief and limited. I sincerely wish all your bugs are dead soon!

In summary, I really wish I had the answer to this problem. I wish I could tell everyone how to solve their situations. I counsel people daily in my private life, so as a teacher of sorts, I am always wanting to inform, help, and fix people's lives and business. This is a horrible, disgusting, and degrading experience. I completely empathize with everyone here who is not having luck solving their bedbug issue. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. But I still haven't shaken off the fear that they will return, and have changed a few things (as mentioned) about the way I live and act. BUT - my feeling about bugs is the same as terrorism. Having lived through 9/11 (with luck) here in the city, I lived by the often-expressed motto, "if you stop living your normal life, the terrorists have won". And so it is with the bugs... if they make me paranoid and cause me not to live and enjoy my life and condo, then they've won. Anyone can get them, in a variety of ways, so I just intend to live my life as before (with a few adjustments that common sense dictates), and keep my eyes open. That's all I can do.

Thanks to all of you who reposted and welcomed me! Can't guarantee I will be a regular here, but I do intend to check back and see any responses for a bit.

23. nyjammin

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 6:33:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugfree, sorry to have doubted you. Welcome. The mattress covers that mitebusters gave you, are they sturdy, do the rip easy? Are they made of vinyl or cloth? Thanks much!

24. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 9:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugfree: Thanks for that perfectly INFORMATIVE and satisfying post!
    Listen..it's only been 2 months...keep vaccuuming and watching out for the sequel...that's how I live now. In my opinion...my problem ended when I painted my bedroom floor...thus sealing up all potential cracks and hiding places...and replacing my bed, desk, and desk chair with metal.

25. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 11:16:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugfree,

Buggedinbrooklyn was the poster I was referring to. He has later described the great lengths he went to applying pesticides, for months, because mitebusters was not enough. He said yesterday he would not chose the company he chose again (he did not name them this time, but this is the company he used).

I reiterate that I am glad it worked for you, but I also emphasize I am skeptical about them for these reasons. Many people come to our site thinking they have a small bed bug problem, because they don't see bed bugs. Many of them have a much larger problem, and I'd be wary of having them all try to use this solution. I also would like to hear from you more than 2 months after the bed bugs are gone, which will inspire even more confidence. I hope you are truly bed bug free, and I hope you don't take offense at that.

I am surprised you have not had your follow up treatments yet--so all this was done in one visit? You are very lucky indeed! I think you're right that in a building where one is not the only one with bed bugs, it would not work.

26. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 12:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I just want to point out one thing about employing a cleaning service. It will cost money, comparable to hiring a PCO. If you have a limited budget, spraying enzyme cleaners, steaming and vacuuming are things that you can do yourself, barring physical limitations. So, I would save my $ for what I cannot do myself, i.e., for the guys and gals who have to wear respirator masks.

27. bugsrbitingme

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 20:25:46
    #

Login to Send PM

SO, I'VE BEEN DOING VERY GOOD ALSO. I DON'T WANT TO JINX MYSELF, BUT I HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM IN ABOUT 2 MONTHS. IT WAS REALLY PAINFUL FOR ME, BECAUSE I WASN'T GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP. AND I REALLY NEEDED IT. BUT THE CLEANING AND ISOLATION WORKED. ALSO, I DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE EVEN MYSELF TO SIT ON MY BED. I WON'T EVEN SIT ON MY BED AFTER WORK. I RIDE THE TRAIN TO WORK, SO I'M SCARED. I EVEN FIND MYSELF NOT WANTING TO SIT TO CLOSE TO ANYONE ON THE TRAIN FOR FEAR THAT THEY HAVE BEDBUGS. WHEN I GO TO SLEEP, I CAN ONLY GET ON MY BED AFTER I HAVE ON MY PAJAMAS. MY CLOTHES HAVE BEEN COMING OUT OF BAGS SLOWLY BUT SURELY AND SO FAR I'M GOOD. I AM A NERVOUS WRECK. I BROUGHT A HANDY VAC AND I SWEEP, MOP AND VACUUM EVERY 3 DAYS. I PRAY THOSE LITTLE BASTARDS DO NOT COME BACK. I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY WASHING AND BUYING NEW SHEETS, PILLOWS, PILLOW CASES, CLOTHES, CLEANING PRODUCTS AND A NEW METAL FRAME BED (I ALREADY HAD BED RISERS). SO WISH ME LUCK!

28. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 20:33:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Bugsrbitingme. Welcome. Glad to read that you are doing well. I fear the same as you...although I'm more relaxed about it. I know the feeling on the subway or bus. Or cab or theater. Ugh. It's a strange paranoia that is un-natural. Keep up the good work. And I hope you stay and tell us your results.

29. buggedinbrooklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 20:46:57
    #

Login to Send PM

hi all,
    (yes, I'm still around...just so busy, don't always have the time to post alot)

yes, as NBOM recalled, I too used mitebusters.
    I too think they helped alot.

I also think that enzyme cleaners have a place in fighting bedbugs, but they are not the "be all, end all" in this fight.
    enzyme cleaners do not kill off the eggs, and I can't see you not having any eggs when you "SAW" 50 bugs.

I never saw that many in my whole 5/6 month fight with them.

yes, I did use D-Force and drione dust to help kill the long term hatchlings that keep trying to reinfest my house....couch/bedroom.

while I have not cleaned up any of the dust yet, I have not used any spray in a week or so, and have stoped spraying for now.
    I do feel that I'm finaly bug free for sure.
    no visual bugs or bites in months.

let me just say a few things about bedbugs....
    if you see 50 of them, you have to have hundreds of bugs too small to see with even my good eyes.
    eggs don't die from mitebuster's version of Kleen Free products, so they will hatch in 10-14 days.

I pray everyday that there is not a bedbug hiding under my carpet just waiting for me to clean up all the drion dust, and the sprays to ware off...and then start this whole mess all over again.

I'm glad your bug free, but I fear that just one spraying from mitebusters was not the reason.

the real,
    buggedinbrooklyn

30. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 20:49:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice to hear (read) from you BIB. Haven't seen you around for a while. I'm also doing well. I hope. Fingers legs and eyes crossed.

31. buggedinbrooklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 21:05:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I also went to DR (Punta Cana) to a real nice resort.
    spent 7 nights getting bit by mosquitos on my balcony...so now I have all new bites.

but at least I'm now tan. lol

oh, and yes, I had a great time, regardless that I didn't go with my girlfriend (but we did just get back together)...and making plans for Jamaica now.
    woot, pattys and jerk chicken, here I come.

buggedinbrooklyn

32. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 21:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggedinBrooklyn,

Thanks for offering your opinions here. And congratulations on reuniting with your girlfriend AND with the vacation--recent and upcoming. I have to say I appreciate a good hotel now more than pre-bedbugs--but i do a nice thorough search before settling in.

33. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 21:38:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Ps BuggedinBKLYN-- congrats also of course on being bite-free. Did you eventually have to get rid of your couch or did you finally wrest it from their slimy little bed bug claws???

34. buggedinbrooklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 23 2007 0:04:28
    #

Login to Send PM

hi NBOM,

I know I should have just gotten rid of the couch, but I kept it, and fought the good fight.
    I still treated it up untill about a day after I came home from vacation...almost 1 week ago.

that treatment, along with spraying my desk, beds, and around the bedroom with D-Force, is the last treatments I'm doing.

I do have 2 cans left, but I think they are totaly gone...also crossing my fingers, toes, legs, eyes.

I still fear new bites from that couch, and I do sleep on it if my back hurts.
    yet, I just have not gotten any new bites in months...about 2 months.

anyway, I'm totaly ripping up my carpet in my bedroom and living room.
    repainting the whole place.
    carpeting the bedroom, but varnishing the living room/hallway and keeping my floor bare.
    lots of upcomming work, but should be well worth it in the end.

please also remember that the couch was the biggest hassle to get rid of the bugs.
    after 2 visits from mitebusters, and constent spraying with D-Force, I still resorted to use drion dust after months of still getting bites.
    it was a horror show.
    but dusting on 1 week, and spraying D-Force the next week, seemed to do the trick in about a month.
    I'll say this...next time, the couch goes. not worth all the work and bites in the end.

buggedinbrooklyn

35. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 23 2007 8:59:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Buggedinbrooklyn,
    WOW! You really did it. You win the award for the most persistent Bedbugger ever. Persistent, stubborn, and a heck of a warrior.
    (I would definitely toss it myself, but i am impressed!)

Take some good naps on it, much deserved.

36. nyjammin

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 23 2007 9:17:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Bib: If you used drione on the couch, how, when you sat on it the dust didn't come up into the air?

37. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 3 2007 3:21:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugfree posted the same message above FIVE times on the forums, despite being asked to stop.

38. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2008 23:24:58
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI -- Since the discussion above, Mitebusters is now apparently using both enzyme cleaners with steam AND DE (possibly with pyrethrins added), which does seem to change the nature of their treatment plan.

(I am still seriously skeptical about Bugfree's testimonials above (50 bed bugs sighted is a large infestation, and I really doubt this could be remediated in a single visit of this nature).

Click Mitebusters in the TAGS above right to see more recent threads about this company.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,298 posts in 29,427 topics over 90 months by 12,696 of 19,958 members. Latest: huntelaar1999, gonzoateafly, Steve Tidebeck