Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

My pet bedbug update. (With pics)

(26 posts)
  1. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 3 2017 16:35:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought it might be somewhat interesting to note what I've found with keeping a female bedbug as a "pet" for the past several days.

She was captured on February 21st, and has been in an air tight tupperware for 10 days. She has pooped 3 times, the most recent being on day 9. I'm pretty sure she last ate on the evening of the 20th, as that was the last welting bite I received.

Here is a pic of her from the evening I found her.

[img]http:// [/img]

And this pic was on day 8 of captivity.
    [img]http:// [/img]

I put a piece of folded paper towel in there to see if she would lay eggs but she has not (praying that means she was an infertile loner when I found her!)

Day 10 into finding her and no other sightings of any evidence nor any more bites.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 3 2017 17:24:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Good, sounds like it was just the one.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 1:43:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Would she lay eggs though if she was in an uncomfortable situation? Like being in a tupperware container that is probably often disturbed. Or do they just lay them regardless of the stress they are under? Curious to see what Lou thinks of this.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  4. basementdweller

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 11:17:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I have placed bed bugs in a sealed ziplock bag and had it full of eggs in just a week. Only a few of the eggs actually hatched though.

Put a little blood with a male and female, and you'll have a whole colony of bed bugs in a month.

5. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 11:35:32
    #

Login to Send PM

That eases my mind a ton, basementdweller! Although I'm sorry you're having to deal with the bs. I think my neighbor brought one over with her and have already told her she's not welcome in the house anymore. (Separate homes.) I'm hoping that with my paranoia, I will always check and never have to deal with this ever again!!!

6. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 11:40:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Tuper - 3 minutes ago  » 
    That eases my mind a ton, basementdweller! Although I'm sorry you're having to deal with the bs. I think my neighbor brought one over with her and have already told her she's not welcome in the house anymore. (Separate homes.) I'm hoping that with my paranoia, I will always check and never have to deal with this ever again!!!

If your neighbors have them then they will need to be inspected and possibly treated. Are they adjoined neighbord or is your house single not attached?

7. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 12:53:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Separate homes. They have zero money for anything. They won't do anything about it. Except spray a bunch of rubbing alcohol. They won't even neuter their pets.

8. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 13:01:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Although I do know their landlord and I'm debating telling them. The house is about 1000 feet from mine, but she has been over to my house a handful of times since they moved in last summer.

9. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 17:20:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Rubbing alcohol SMDH. Their landlord should know so they don't spread their problem further. Ugh.

So have you named the young lady BB yet? Lol

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 23:15:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Give her a feeding and remove everything but a folded Post-It note from the container. She should drop a clutch within two or three days.
    In between the fingers is a good spot or if she's really hungry and doesn't mind being in the open use your forearm.

What whispers the whisker?
  11. BBuster

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 7:14:38
    #

Login to Send PM

This is better than therapy

12. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 11:54:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Negative. Not going to feed the vamp. I don't mind keeping her in a tupperware and letting her slowly starve to death. And no, she doesn't have a name. LOL! And no, she won't lay eggs, because she is a loner. She had fed when I caught her and she didn't lay any eggs then. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 0:39:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Good choice, Tuper.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 2:20:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hell yeah, I'm with you dude. These POWs get no mercy.

15. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 8:57:49
    #

Login to Send PM

No mercy. Lol! I'm tempted to hang on to her to see how long she lives without food. And the plot thickens concerning the neighbor. We had some "fence time" last night, and it turns out the landlord is fully aware of their problem. It just states in their contract that they are responsible for all problems. In fact, I think he is the one that suggested that they came from the woods. Of course, the longer I talk to her, the more she revealed. Apparently everyone at the gas station on the corner that she worked at had them. So she must have picked them up from those people. I tried my best to educate her, but she is very thick-headed. She said they spent all their tax return money purchasing a new bed. I told her that wasn't going to do anything. She said they have also spent over $100 on self-help stuff that hasn't worked. She finally said they were planning on moving if they can't get rid of them. I tried to tell her that wouldn't work either, but she won't listen.

16. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 10:50:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Tuper - 22 hours ago  » 
    Negative. Not going to feed the vamp. I don't mind keeping her in a tupperware and letting her slowly starve to death. And no, she doesn't have a name. LOL! And no, she won't lay eggs, because she is a loner. She had fed when I caught her and she didn't lay any eggs then. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

I forgot she had just fed prior to captivity.

I'm willing to put my best male out to stud for a fee. You should receive the package by week's end.

17. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 17:28:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a better idea, I can send her to you, free of charge!

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Mar 7 2017 0:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Sending live bed bugs through the mail may violate USPS regulations...

19. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 20:51:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Alas, I have some sad news to report. I checked on my pet tonight to find her tits up in the tupperware. Pardon me while I DON'T shed any tears. Lol!

I've been sleeping so much better this past week or so. No more bites, no more sightings or signs. It's kinda hard for me to believe that I have managed to escape this PLAGUE with only one bug, but it appears that all my prayers have been answered. She never laid any eggs, and she never pooped again as of the original posting. How long can unfed bugs live? Well, mine only lasted a little over 3 weeks.

I'm not 100% gonna call it. I'm waiting the recommended 60 days. But I'm fairly hopeful at this point. I feel like I dodged a major bullet. This experience has forever changed me. I will NEVER take staying with someone or in a hotel for granted ever again. I will always be aware and on the lookout.

20. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 21:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you put breathing holes in the lid? She probably slowly suffocated to death.....why does that sound so pleasing....lol

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 0:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Suffocation takes a long time from what I gather. They don't need much air.

I wonder if it was just her time, or if she had been poisoned (but I think you're saying there was no treatment?)

Anyway, glad things are going well!

22. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 10:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

It was a decently large Tupperware, and I checked on her fairly regularly. I doubt she suffocated. No, there were no chemicals involved at all. Perhaps she was old? I kind of doubt that though. Looking at my time frame of bites and lack of eggs. If she had been an adult when I picked her up, surely she would have laid eggs at some point and I would be crawling.

My theory, no matter how odd it may sound, is that she was a hitchhiker as a nymph. I noticed my first bites at Christmas time while I was visiting my ex-fiance's sister. It could have been residual, because it was the first day we were there. But all of my other bites have been immediate, so who knows. I have not heard that my ex's sister has been dealing with anything. So that could have been something else. The reactions were the same as the other bites, though. I had to at her house, a month later I had two more, and a month later I had three more. And that was the night I found her. Surely she was eating me more than once a month, but those were the reactions I was having. It was either my ex's sisters house, or my neighbor, who had a confirmed case. We have separate houses, but she had been over to my house a handful of times. I have used the excuse to be able to tell her to stay away anyway. LOL!

Another thing to note, I may have or may not have been getting less reactive bites as well. I did have little pinpoint scab itchy places on my body during this time too. When I talk about bites, I am referring to the massive welts that were swollen, red, and painful.

23. Ombugsman

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 11:18:53
    #

Login to Send PM

You might find this link interesting:

http://www.winnipegbedbugheating.com/post-script-to-my-video-how-long-bed-bugs-live-some-discrepancies/

And here is his original video to which he referred:

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugins

24. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 12:48:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Tobacco container experiments. These once had tobacco, right? Nicotine is an insecticide.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  25. BBAB

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 16:29:00
    #

Login to Send PM

26. BBuster

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Mar 21 2017 14:28:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Ombugsman - 3 days ago  » 
    You might find this link interesting:
    http://www.winnipegbedbugheating.com/post-script-to-my-video-how-long-bed-bugs-live-some-discrepancies/
    And here is his original video to which he referred:

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugins

I do find this interesting but than what about others studies where BB's live up to 18 months and a story somewhere on this board about a student going back home to Azia after one year and had his BB's still alive in a plastic bag with clothing.

As BB's can be resistant to different types of chemicals, maybe different colony's live longer/shorter than other colony's.
    I don't think writing a report of tests on one colony is reliable irl. BB's should be collected all over the world and run tests on them, real life tests like putting them in a dryer, freezer, etc.

Grz,
    BBuster

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,327 posts in 41,281 topics over 125 months by 18,087 of 18,507 members. Latest: Andem, anxietyJeff, gotquestions