Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

My next door neighbor is infested with BB!! Thats how I got infested.

(23 posts)
  1. Omega

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 1:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Im 8 weeks without a bite. I continue to be on guard all the time.

Upon discovering I had BB I caught a couple and showed my adjoining neighbors the BB and asking them "do you have BB or seen this bug" Everyone says NO.. I seem to be the only person in the building with BB..hmmm. I had a small infestation. No harborage was ever found. I always thought the bugs were brought into my house by either my son from his school (NYC Schools are getting worse with infestations) his friends or they hitched a ride on me. When I asked my bldg mgmnt about the bldg having BB, once again, Im the only one reporting them. HA!

About 2 hours ago my bell rings. I look through my peep hole and see my next door neighbor standing there. She tells me she saw a bug crawling off her as she sat on her couch and did I still have the bug that I was showing everyone. Yes indeed, I have my little collection of BB on scotch tape and a glue board. "Is this what crawled off you"? I dont know, it was kinda black. (hmm, an engorged BB I think) Now she wants me to come into her apt. I only go to the entrance of her door. Her husband is beligerant and is yelling at her that there are no bugs. He threw out the throw pillows on the couch. I got rid of them he said .and dont think Im gonna throw out my couch either. I asked him..Do they look like this? I show him the sample. He said..I dont know,,,well maybe..I dont know..I dont have them anymore I threw the pillows away. Where are the pillows? In the incinerator room on our floor. I told them they better get them now and bag them and take them outside. She goes and gets the pillows out of the incinerator room..I go and get my flashlight, tape and jewelers loop. My neighbor is upset now. How did I get these bugs? She is a para in the NYC schools. I told her dont be surprised if you brought them home from the schools you work in. There are more and more schools with infestations.. She didnt have a clue! Oh boy, do we need education here.

As I approach her I can see fecal matter all around the piping of the pillow. OMG! She peels away the piping and there they are!! Running all over, large adults and nymphs. I capture an adult on the tape and give it to her as a sample for the PCO. OMG, she puts the pillows on the floor before bagging them. I get some steri fab and spary the entire location she put them. I run into mmy apt and immediately take off my clothes in the bathtub and bag them including my sneakers. I start spraying with steri fab all around my door. I take a shower. Im flipping out hoping nothing went on me. I stayed as far away as possible and went an arms length to capture the bug off the pillow. My neighbors apt must be totally infested,, couch and all. Both of them DO NOT react to the bites at all. They must be infested for a very long time. My first BB encounter was in March. I was treated and went 3 months without a bite. Got bite by one bug, killed it, got treated again and now Im 2 months without a bite or any sign of a bug. Now I know how I got my BB. Her couch is against the same wall on the opposite side where my couch was. How easy for them to go under the baseboard and into my apt. My couch is long gone. I have no living room furniture anymore. My son sits on a beach chair. My house is a sea of plastic XXl Ziplock bags. My once beautifully decorated bed is encased in the best BB encasement with no bedding until I go to sleep. My sheets and down comforter which are white are taken off when I wake up and bagged immediately.

My neighbor is instructed by me to call the bldg mgmnt NOW. Leave a msg and tell them you have a BB infestation and want the PCO to come ASAP. I then call the bldg mgmnt and tell them my neighbor's apt is infested, big time, and they dont react to the bites and its so bad the bugs crawl on them while they are sitting on the couch watching TV. I want to be treated AGAIN when they get treated and for them to treat the incinerator room and the hallway and my neighbors above and below.

I knew it! I wasnt the only one in the bldg with BB. I now wonder how many others are infested. OMG!

I dont feel hopeful for my neighbors because when I told them about the life cycle of BB and how they get into everything, they kinda looked at me oddly. Yes, Im panicked. I have very very severe reactions to BB bites and have lost many nights of sleep, I have spent alot of money, which I dont have, Im unemployed. The both of you dont have any reaction to bites, this is not good because you have no way to tell if there gone or not after treatment. Quite frankly, with the amount of bugs on those pillows, I cant believe they never saw them before. There apt is massively cluttered. I dont think they will prep and the jerk of a PCO that the bldg mgmnt uses doesnt inform them what to do and sprays like he is spraying for roaches.

My nightmare continues with the knowledge that the BB are right behind my living room wall. The war continues. I am ever vigilant and grateful for any day without a bite.

Will there ever be an end to this? I pray.

2. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 1:37:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Omega - did you caulk your floor boards? I know you are unemployed and things are tight but is it possible to ask a qualified and competent PCO to come in and spray into the adjoining walls? they have a foam that they can inject into the walls

they should dust under the floor molding and seal it with caulk and also caulk and dust around the outlets, light fixtures, light switches and plumbing in the bathroom

you also may want to keep a light dusting of DE in your closets, under your furniture and by your front door, and around the floor moldings

all of these things are preventative

Omega you run a very high risk of reinfestation again - try to do as much preventative measures as possible

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 1:43:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Everything Adele said.

You need to be very proactive since they are right next door.

Jim

4. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 1:45:31
    #

Login to Send PM

hey jim - how come you have twice as many postings as I do but I am now a Senior Member? that funny.....

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 2:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele - 18 minutes ago  » 
    hey jim - how come you have twice as many postings as I do but I am now a Senior Member? that funny.....

Dunno, Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Jim

6. Omega

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 2:13:15
    #

Login to Send PM

My floor boards have a huge gap between the hardwood floor and the wall. Its at least an inch. There is steel wool wedged in there since I moved in to prevent mice. Im there 23 years now. The bldg is pre war. Ive never even had a roach, let alone mice. Now I have the devils spawn.

I have caulked my light switches and anywhere I can see an opening already. I cannot afford a PCO on my own. I barely make my mortgage, I own my apt. I have no spare money, so Im up the creek without a paddle. Resumes go out, but no job offers. Sheesh. I have to rely on the bldg PCO who is incompetent but I will have a good word with the bldg mgmnt about them treating my wall voids. I have DE and will now dust everywhere. First, I need to find a rose duster of some sort and get a mask. How else can I apply the DE in a safe manner? Any suggestions please.

Im trying to figure out how to seal such a large gap between the baseboard. Any suggestions? My only thought would be to pack it with paper...like paper mache and then caulk that. That way the caulk has something to grab. What do you think?

Now Im panicked knowing they are right there and a reinfestation is imminent.

Oh here is the best..They were gonna bomb the living room. I said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....dont do that! It wont work and you will spread them everywhere. They think they can treat like roaches..I told them you should only wish you had roaches. Id take roaches anyday over bedbugs. Dont do anything..let the exterminator treat. I will have to tell the bldg mgmnt that they need several treatments, which I hope they get.

Im flipping out to say the least. I hope I can sleep tonight. I still have not been able to turn off my light when I sleep. Not that it helps, but I just cant sleep in the dark anymore. I know alot of you identify. Im seriously mentally effected by these bugs.

Thanks for your suggestions. If not for these boards, I would have already lost my mind. At least I have an education about them. Knowledge is power.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 2:34:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Omega - 19 minutes ago  » 

Im trying to figure out how to seal such a large gap between the baseboard. Any suggestions? My only thought would be to pack it with paper...like paper mache and then caulk that. That way the caulk has something to grab. What do you think?

Get this....

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=20&SubcatID=4

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 3:17:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele - 1 hour ago  » 

You know, Adele, for a moment, I had to look into that. And I am the one who set the parameters!

The answer is, you have to be a member for a certain length of time and have a certain number of posts in order to be reclassified, so to speak. You have 200 days here and jim doesn't yet.

Also see this. I just made a change to those status parameters. See what you think.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 9:12:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Omega, what a horrifying story. I have to say that, when neighbours insist they don't have BBs, I am always leery. We went months with BBs and didn't konw. But wow, it sounds like they have a major infestation. And couches are so difficult to treat. I can only imagine how upset you must be.

I agree with everyone else that it's time to start caulking and laying down DE.

Omega, I feel so badly for you! <<<<hugs>>>>

10. Omega

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 13:15:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your posts. Thank you itchty for your kind words.

Spidey...thank you, Im running to home depot to get that stuff. That looks like what will do the trick to fill the gaps..Yay! I knew someone would know.

Im ripping at the moment. I just got off the phone with my bldg mgmnt. He says "I got your distrubing phone message" I went on to tell him about my neighbor and their big infestation. Excuse my language her and Im sorry if I offend anyone, but he had the Balls to say to me, "I dont want to blame you, but you had the BB first and the PCO told him I didnt prep properly. WHAT!!!!! I beg to differ! I didnt prep? Im a raving lunatic here washing, buying ziplock bags and bagging the entire house, most of everything I own is in a ziplock bag or sealed garbage bag, Vacumning every day, everywhere, sealing my beds, glue traps all over the place, double sided tape everywhere, steri fab by the gallons Ive used, Ive thrown away all the living room furniture, Ive thrown away half of my belongings, Ive fumigated my electronics with vikane. What the heck is he talking about. I couldnt move a very large armoire all the way from the wall. Im one person, widowed and my son is not a strong kid. When the PCO was here I asked him to help me move it, he refused and said "Dont Worry, Ill spray behind it".

I told my mgmnt that my neighbors are the ones with the very large infestation and Im not blaming them, but its very likely, because they have absolutely no reaction to the bites that their problem has been around for a long time. I reminded him that the PCO never found any harborage in my apt, nor did he or I find any tell tale signs, i.e., blood spots, fecal matter, etc. The bugs I found were full grown and I believe that I got on top of it in a timely manner to divert a big infestation. I told him that I think the few bugs that found me and bite me came in either from under my door or through the walls from their apt next door. When I told him what I saw with my own eyes coming off their throw pillows, he kind of changed his tune and said..OY, sounds like theyve had them for a long time. YES, this is what Im telling you, I said. I found a bug, called you, exterminator came in, got treated. I became a fanatic washing, bagging, etc. went 3 months without a bite. Got one bite from a bug that was obviously living in my laptop computer cause it was on my legs and bite me while I was typing. I killed it. Went on another search and destroy mission. Got treated again and I am now a little over 8 weeks without a bite. The balls of him to tell me I was the source. He didnt like it when I said, "How come you never inspected my neighbors apts, next door and above and below"??? When I asked him about that the first time, he freakin lied to me. "Oh your the only one in the bldg with BB" He only knocked on the door and asked them if they had bedbugs.Give me a F*&%ng break here. Half of the population dont know what they look like or even know they exist. Even with a sample I had and the bug crawling on her, she didnt know what it was. He never had a PCO go in and inspect. LIAR! Of course,, he saves money like that doesnt he? Now hes going to be spending alot more and he points the finger at me for not moving my armoire properly. Before I could tell him I want the PCO to come and treat my apt again, even though I have no signs of BB, he hung up the phone. Believe me, if I had any BB, they would find me or my son and I react instantly to their bites. One other thing, I was a volunteer park ranger for years in the day while being a musician at night. Part of what I like to do is study birds, trees, mammals and BUGS and their behavior. I have a keen eye and knowledge. I have read everything I can get my hands on about BB so I can be properly educated. When I told my mgmnt this, he says "No wonder you know so much but you shouldnt do your own pest control" What, and rely on the jerk you send me who stunk of alcohol. Ohhhh dont get me started here. He is the professional and your not he tells me. See what Im up against. The owner of the PCO comes in but sends a person to spray, just like for roaches, that stinks of booze. But is my word against his and they dont believe me.

I told my friend who's house Im going to on Thanksgiving. I was ranting about my neighbor. She is paranoid now that I might bring them into her home. Rightly so. I tried to make her feel somewhat ok as she knows Im not fighting an infestation (at the moment). I told her all my clothes are washed and ziplocked bagged immediately upon leaving the dryer and if it makes her feel better, I will bring a change of clothes that came right out of the dryer and are bagged and will change outside in her garage before entering her home.

Sorry for ranting on and on. This is really the only place I can vent and everyone understands and is helpful.

Can anyone tell me how to lay down the DE. They sent me a container to put the DE in that looks like a baby powder container. It has holes in the top of the lid. Is this adequate. I read people using a paint brush?

All suggestions taken seriously and appreciated.

Now lets see if the bldg mgmnt takes this seriously. He lied to me by telling me I was the only person in the bldg with BB.. They never inspected anyone elses apt!! My neighbor has them crawling on her awake and they dont know what they were looking at. Im sure this is the case a hundred times over. OMG!

I will do everything in my power to not get reinfested.

Thanks again for all your help.

11. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 13:58:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi - I can understand how pyssed off you are. But it sounds like you're doing everything right so keep it up. I think somewhere on these forums someone posted a picture of a Duster you can use to apply the DE (it's Food Grade right??) I heard someone say to use a old style mustard or ketchup bottle, anything with a narrow nozzle, like those hair dye kits, y'know? That way the nozzle slides under the crack and the dust doesn't fly up your nose!

Good luck!!

12. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 14:09:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Way down the road, I hope there eventually might be some type of "bedbug alarm" that could be installed in every rental unit or hotel room, maybe a unit that can alert a central location when it is triggered. Just as a smoke detector detects the presence of smoke and sets off the alarm, bedbug alarms could do that for bedbugs. The device would have to have some attractant so any bedbugs were drawn to it. They say if you can think of a product, it can be on the market in 10 years, so I'm thinking!

13. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 14:13:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs... I don't really care what my status is - I was making fun of Jim (AKA SpideyJG!!)

I feel very badly for Omega and don't want to take away from his/her posting

14. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 14:15:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Get a P100 respirator while at Home Depot if you are goin to spread DE and get a bellows duster like this.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bellow-hand-duster-p-106.html

About the same cost as a rose duster but far beyond it for control and efficacy.

Dusts shine as a control method due to BB nature and the ability of properly applied dust to get far into cracks where BBs reside.

Jim

15. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 14:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Omega - it's really important that when you apply the DE that you do so in a VERY light dusting - I mean light film. these dusters - I think someone here mentioned a rose duster that you can buy - but make sure you are using only a little and wear a mask. I did not wear a mask and it aggravated my asthma

the reason for a light dusting is to ensure that they cross the DE and not avoid it. Too much DE and they will avoid it

16. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 14:34:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Also - you may want to get some Spray AWay good night fromo Home Depot - it is the same formulation as Bedlam

you can use it to spray your furniture directly underneath

17. bait

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 14:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Omega,

I use a 99 cent pastry brush to apply around my sleep area. I didn't like the rose duster -- too much of the stuff went airborne, but it should work just fine for getting in cracks.

Good luck. Hope you find a job. I wish you were my neighbor.

18. bitten123

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2008 12:35:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Omega, I just wanted to send you a cyber hug and I am hoping that you finding out your neighbors infestation is a good thing. I am hoping by the source being detected, that it can be eradicated. We are pulling for you and your son!

19. Omega

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 28 2008 12:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your good wishes..

I have a bit of an update and its not good.

My neighbors are very indifferent to their infestation. I knocked on their door to find out when the bldg will be sending the exterminator (who is inadequate IMO, he doesnt tell you how to prep properly). I gave them some tips on prepping and told them how important it is because we share the same wall. I told them how highly allergic I am to the bites. When I told them about washing and bagging, sealing cracks, etc. They waved me away!! Oh were not going to do that..let them just come and spray and it will be over.

Because these people do not respond to the bites, they really dont give a hoot. She showed me a pillow on the infested couch that she wrapped in a terry cloth towel and said..Look no bugs on the towel!!!!!! I said you wont see them on the towel they hide inside your couch..just like you saw on the the seams of your pillows you threw out. They are gone now, she told me!!!!! I said, No they are not! we opened the couch (its a couch bed) and we didnt see anything. I said did you use a flashlight and check the seams, look underneath, etc. We dont have them anymore....we threw them away with the pillows. Do you see what Im up against? People who dont care! If they started getting reactions to bites, they would certainly be more concerned. I cant beleive they have their son and grand daughter come over and sit on that horrible couch. Im sure the other furniture is infested as well. They have 2 lounger chairs as well. I wonder what their mattress is like..OMG!

My neighbor is retired and his wife semi retired (she should be retired, she is bringing the bugs to the NYC school system, big time). He is short tempered, beligerant and seems like his wife is meek and under his control. So when I talk to her about the BB, she waves me off as if to say, I dont want to hear it and changes the subject.

So with a PCO who doesnt inspect properly and treat properly and neighbors who dont care, I feel constantly threatned and feel like its a matter of time before the BB are back after me.

I will do everything I can to prevent them from entering my house. Hold a good thought for me, I need it.

Maybe I can be the one who can report on how to keep BB out of your home when they are only a wall away. So far Im going on 9 weeks without a bite. Im sick to my stomach over my neighbors complacency.

20. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 28 2008 12:58:46
    #

Login to Send PM

What an awful situation! Honestly, that really is hard. But hey, 9 weeks-no bites is great news. I'd do exactly what you're doing. Every single crack, crevice on that wall should be caulked and then caulked some more. So you share pipes (no, I mean water/heat/ac) with them? Look into it. And seal up and cracks you see.

I don't know how anyone could live with them and fluff it off like that. Imbeciles, jeeze.

You say you own your apt. Do they own theirs too? Is it a condo type bldg? With some owned spaces you may be able to force them to treat properly if it poses a risk to other residents (like you). A bldg committee board anything like that? There must be some 'communal' organization who takes care of property issues. Look into it and I'd even threaten to sue them if you have further problems. You don't have to really sue but maybe the threat to both the numbskulls and bldg mgrs could work. Speak to other neighbours and let them know - they would probably be on your side if they know about it.

Keep up the preventative measures it sounds like you're doing it right so far.

21. Omega

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 28 2008 13:22:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes..its a coop bldg with rentals.Yes, they own as well and the people across the hall own. Yes, I am dealing with imbeciles and idiots who do not take this serious. I have sealed every conceivable crevice I can find. All switchplates, etc. I am going to redo the floor to the ceiling crevice and spread DE along my hallway from their apt to mine.

Im not sure if this makes a difference, but we have concrete walls, no sheetrock. Its a very dense concrete wall.

I just called my bldg mgmnt to find out when they are getting treated and I want to be treated again. I left a msg on their answering maching. I told them Im going to inform the coop board. I know they dont want that cause they told me to not tell anyone when I first reported BB.. Guess what I went around to all my neighbors showing them the Bug I found. See the stupidity here. we need education, not a hush hush situation. Yes there is a stigma attached to having BB but if we dont educate and inform it will get out of control. Im sure Ill get a phone call back as soon as he hears Im reporting to the coop board. Yeah..,lets make everyone nuts about it and no I wont keep my mouth shut. If they want to blame me as the source, go ahead, I dont care as long as they do something about it and not make everyone keep their mouth shut. I knew it. My neighbors knew they had some kind of bug when I showed them my sample, but they were afraid to say anything.

I can see that I will become the enemy now of the building. Everyone will hate me including the mgmnt and my neighbors. My mgmnt will point the finger at me as the source of the plaque rather than be proactive and inspect everyone. Then again, alot of neighbors wont allow the an exterminator in their apt. Its a no win situation at the moment.

I am relentless.

22. Omega

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 28 2008 13:29:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I forgot to tell you.. My neighbor told me she vacumed her couch with a dustbuster. LOL

I told her he had to vacumn alot and dispose of the bags in a plastic bag.

A dustbuster, OMG!!!!!

God help me.

23. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 28 2008 15:33:32
    #

Login to Send PM

A Dustbuster!? Seems she's got it all under control then...sigh:)

I wouldn't worry too much about what the neighbours think at this point. In fact some of them may well be as concerned as you are and that can help you when you go to the Board.

I suspect the bldg mgmt don't want you to mention it to the board (or anyone else) 'cos it will make them look bad for doing such a crappy job of taking care of it. I hope the board sees how serious it is. You sound very determined to resolve this and that's good, for you and for everyone. If the board DOES take it seriously then everyone will have to be involved whether they like it or not. Really, who wouldn't allow a PCO in to inspect/treat??

See if any of your neighbours ARE concerned and maybe band together to get firmer results. Though from what you said they may be as non-chalant as the one next door, but don't give up!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,010 posts in 28,274 topics over 87 months by 12,188 of 19,341 members. Latest: Vantz, bugAnxiety, redbird
Site Meter