My BB Experience in Brussels, Belgium

(3 posts)
  1. soylouisebrooks

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 8:51:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all - first time posting here, though I've been lurking since I realised I had bedbugs.

Background: I moved into a new flat on Nov 1 2017, left for work travel for a month, and on my return in early December was bitten and saw bedbugs on my bed, in the living room - everywhere. The place was crawling with them.

I dealt with shame and guilt and feeling stupid about not having known to inspect for them - this is my first experience and hopefully my last. Then I phoned the landlord and had a meltdown. He swore up and down that he didn't know and agreed to pay for full treatment. Apparently the previous tenants either knew and didn't care or were just unaware, but the furniture they left was infested. I ended up sawing the two sofas they left into tiny pieces with a hand saw and the sweat of my brow. Thank god the landlord agreed to pay - I would have moved out otherwise.

The PCO came on Dec 27 (I was away) and treated the whole flat, including dismantling the bedframe. I had bought a bedbug proof encasement so the mattress is safe, but he treated it anyway. He spent about two and a half hours in my flat and subsequently emailed in a report saying the infestation was major and I should expect to continue to be bitten, which I did, albeit seeing fewer and fewer live and dead bugs during my daily hoovering crusade (an hour and a half to two hours set to 80s music... I call it the Jane Fonda 2018 routine).

He returned today and inspected the bedframe and two infested sockets in front of me saying it looked much better. After the first round of treatment I turned my flat upside down, threw out a lot of clutter and furniture (not that I had much, having just moved in) and looked everywhere. He is treating everything with dry steam, cimexa and some other nasty sounding pesticides today, and I am hoping after a third round of treatment this ordeal will finally be over. He also said that if a third round of treatment was needed he would treat the unit below me (important for me, because if the landlord doesn't treat that unit and the bugs return, there is no way I am giving notice - set at three months in Belgium, or paying three months of rent up front to leave straightaway - before I get out of there).

I wanted to share this here because this forum has been a source of information and comfort as I navigate this nasty experience. I learned about quarantining clothes and other items, keeping the safe spaces safe (my kitchen is not infested) and other precautions. The success stories have also been a great help.

I'll keep you all posted. Sending strength to everyone who's going through this.

2. LeaP

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Wed May 30 2018 12:24:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there!
    Any news here? Also in Brussels battling these! Any advice on which way to go? treatment, companies?
    Any help would be great! We also have a 11 month old baby- so would be open to less chemical options, if efficient!
    Thanks!!

3. thirdusername

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu May 31 2018 1:52:11
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like the OP got a really good PCO.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,825 posts in 45,105 topics over 138 months by 19,806 of 20,545 members. Latest: Mollygee23, DaveC, TravelerK