moving without bed bugs?

(4 posts)
  1. rae75

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jan 4 2018 22:55:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, I have lots of questions and lots of concerns, so i'm just going to spill out of need to vent again, and out of need to try and resolve all of these beg bug issues were having.

My boyfriend, my best friend, and myself moved into a lovely two bed apartment on dec 1st 2017, and that next day we found two live bed bugs in the apartment. My boyfriend does not show signs of being bitten, he is very lucky. However I have an extreme reaction to them, possibly and allergic one. I almost went to the ER due to the pain of being bitten just 5 times. I have been living with a relative in the mean time. So anyways, after a few weeks we found out the tenants above us had been living with bed bugs for a year, maybe less. There were thousands just living right above us. We've been working closely with a pest control company, who have heat treated our apartment three times. After those treatments, they just kept coming back through the ceiling and wall cracks. The building is over 100 years old so, no wonder I guess. It's also infested with some wonderful cockroaches, and horrible neighbors.

After much debate and pain we decided to move, because no one can seem to fix this problem, and frankly it was just dropped on us like a ton of bricks. Moving day is next thursday the 11th of jan. So far, I have trashed at least half of our stuff. It was garbage anyway, i dont really mind letting it go. We decided to just abandon all of the furniture, none of it is very expensive (were just college students) So we'll only be taking our essentials and a few other things.

My biggest concerns for this:

Our car. We only have one, and we have no choice but to use it daily, because we both work two jobs. I can't tell if it is invested, but I dont think ive ever been bitten inside of it. Now it's pretty cold here, dropping to about -16 each night. Ive read that it doesnt do shit unless its for at least 80 hours, but the pest control guy is telling me something different. How can I make sure there are no bugs before moving day, or during? We came up with the idea so put all of our remaining belongings in my aunt's garage, and then heat treating the garage with everything inside. Would it be possible to put the car in there too? would that kill the bugs in side? If not, how would I go about cleaning it? We don't have any money to buy a steamer or anything like that. We're getting a limited amount back from the place that gave these lovely bugs to us.

The clothes. How do we transport these clothes from the laundromat then back to the car, and then to the new apartment without getting any on them? right now they are sitting in the apartment bagged and sealed tightly. However even though I've bagged them, i'm worried one could get on the outside and travel that way if I'm not careful (which brings us back to the car transport)

Other stuff: I bought nuvan strips if anyone knows if they work or not. I plan to put our electronics in tubs that can sit for a month or so. Our tv, is a big problem, because it's a 55inch. Were not sure if theres any way to clean it, and theres no way to put it in a tub because of its size.

We plan on getting a smaller two bed that has carpet, but also a deck we could potentially leave stuff outside on for long periods of time. I'm super concerned about not taking them with us, and if anyone has some tips on how we could avoid another disaster, that would be great!!!!

2. thirdusername

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 1:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope I never have them in my car.
    I choose to believe that car infestations are rare.
    As for the bagged clothes.
    Are they clean?
    If they are clean, move them in the bags.
    Plastic is hard for BBs to grip so as long as you make sure there are no creases in the bags for BBs to fall off you into, you should be safe.
    I don't know how you can be 100% sure except to Vikane gas the moving truck with all your belongings in it and that would be expensive.
    I think I read about using nuvan on tvs.
    I don't know if you can heat treat a garage, I suspect it would leak too much heat.
    I would suggest a homemade monitor for your car (read the FAQs on how to make one).
    Consistent cold for 4+ days probably works but most places warm up during the day.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. rae75

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 11:49:50
    #

Login to Send PM

It's possible that they are not in my car, however I did find on in a bag of my work clothes about a month ago. Ever since then i've been very cautious. My boyfriend thinks the best course of action is to put the car in the garage where they are going to heat treat, open all the doors and what not. My aunts garage is not extremely sealed, but it's enclosed enough to heat up I think. Besides that my only other option would be to just pour rubbing alcohol everywhere again and vacuum. As for the tv I really have no idea. We might just return it I'm not sure. My boyfriend also seems to think that the xbox one could not have gotten infested, due to the heat. I'm thinking its possible, and I'm worried that heat treatment of the xbox and vacuuming it might not even be enough, but I could just be going crazy about all this. Keep in mind our infestation isn't insane yet, we only find one or two every once in awhile, and we can't find any signs of eggs, fecal matter, or the babies anywhere. just adults come and go from the ceiling it looks like.

The clothes are clean, but I'm choosing to wash them and dry them again just to be on the safe said. it's nine loads total, and I feel it's not too much after everything ive already trashed.

So I cant really gauge where they are which is frustrating lol. Anyways, any tips to help us move would again be greatly appreciated!!!!! (also thanks thirdusername)

4. rae75

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 12:11:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I cant seem to find the self made monitor you suggested. Link? thanks

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,369 posts in 44,499 topics over 135 months by 19,512 of 20,192 members. Latest: crazybugkiller, friendlyroommate, Unlucky