Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

moving to new apartment. advice please.

(4 posts)
  1. DistressInBrooklyn

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2009 13:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Due to the total irresponsibility (and cheapness) of our landlord, we are moving out of our building. We have had one spray so far, and are trying to get another before we move, but we'll see if they do it.

We are putting most of our stuff, sealed in storage, and moving into a smaller apartment. Something we were planning on doing anyways, but just waaaay accelerated due to the BB situation.

Questions:

1) How do we properly clean and seal our couch for storage? The canine inspection did not show any BBs there, but we obviously want to take precautions for both keeping anything in the couch if it's already there and anything out that might creepy into the storage unit.

2) How to best inspect/debug/pack dishes and kitchenware? And items like hangers? Is boiling water enough? Do we need to run it all through a packtite?

3) How do I ensure that BBs are not on the OUTSIDE of any of these carefully sealed airtight 3mm garbage bags of ours? I feel like we went through such precautions to wash/dry all our clothes, packtite things and then reseal them into bags, but now those bags have been sitting in stacks around our living room and kitchen. (Not in the bedroom) How do we move them safely? I think sterifab or 91% alcohol will melt the plastic. Can BBs or eggs be harboring on the outside of the bags? It seems unlikely but I am obsessed with not bringing anything new to our new apartment.

4) Any general advice about putting stuff in storage? We plan to treat everything possible in our packtite, and then pack into plastic bins, and seal them. We plan to steam clean our couch and have it shrink wrapped in plastic. We have two shelving units and a table that we'd like to keep -- best to shrink wrap those as well? I don't know how you seal a 6-foot bookshelf! (These were both far from our infestation)

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom ....

2. jessicaps

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 0:20:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I am bumping this because I am in almost the exact situation except that we are throwing away our couches and pretty much all furniture except a mattress from the guest room that we will be treating and encasing... We are going to stay with my parents until we get into our new house... I am also wanting to double bag everything and seal the bags into plastic bins that will also be sealed. We have had one spray also and they will not come back for a second before we move this weekend. I am convinced that I can do this. I have to do this. Anything that cannot be boiled, put in a dryer, or treated with Bedlam will be thrown away. I am not worried we will take it to our moms because we are only taking clothes that will come straight from dryer at laundromat. I am more concerned of when we get items out of storage. I am also planning on putting the no pest strips inside of our fully enclosed storage unit.

We have been told our infestation is light... we have not found where they originated from (except our upstairs neighbors.) WE have only seen three adults and two nymphs throughout the whole time.. bites spaced around two bites every week or two weeks...

Another PCO visit is out of the question before this weekend as well as getting a packtite... so any other packing/moving advice would be great!!

3. megan.orange

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 16:33:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Going through the same thing you guys are. Throwing everything away that can't be put in the oven, washed, or sprayed with alcohol. I think that Packtite is a good idea for the electronics that will fit. I found a bug hiding in my laptop. I think that living without furniture for awhile will be an adventure though. Camping!

4. BedBugGuru

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 21:22:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I am going to try to answer everyone's questions in this one post. Let's start from the top:

@DistressInBrooklyn: There is basically only a couple ways to clean everything you have. There are a few companies that will fumigate all of your personal belongings in a truck. Fumigations will typically kill everything! They literally will put a tarp over a moving truck and fumigate the truck for 24 hours with powerful gases. After that time, all of your personal belongings will be free of bed bugs! I suggest shoving all of your personal belongings in a moving truck and doing this. You should contact the leading pest control companies in your area and see if they do fumigations. Usually only a few bigger companies do fumigation work. Also, fumigation is usually done during warmer months. They might be able to make an exception for a moving truck. You will have to check with the company you are working with.

Also, anything you can kill in super hot water above 160 degrees Farenheit should kill bed bugs.

Bed bugs can harbor on the outside of the bags. I would fumigate them too, or you can do this....Use two sets of bags. Take one set of bags and put all of your clothes and anything else you are going to wash in the bags. Take the bags to the laundry mat and wash everything in the bags. THROW THOSE BAGS AWAY! Now take your second set of bags and put your personal belongings in these bags. DO NOT put those bags back in your home. Keep them separate from everything else.

I would treat all of your personal belongings right before you put them in storage. If you put them in the moving truck to fumigate, you can be sure they will be bed bug free.

@jessicaps I think you are doing the right thing by throwing away a lot of stuff and washing your clothes and not putting them back in your home. You might consider fumigating your personal belongings in the same manner as indicated in my reply to DistressInBrooklyn. I don't know if you have anything left to fumigate (from the sounds of your post), so you might be okay. Just check everything you are keeping really well. Keep in mind that bed bugs can get in your electronics too, and they can easily transport to other locations in your personal belongings.

@megan.orange As I told Jessicaps, you are doing the right thing. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have them in your laptop. I recommend fumigating your personal belongings to be absolutely sure you don't transport them.

@Everyone As you probably already know, it is very easy to transport bed bugs. I would just make sure you do a very thorough inspection when you move. Also, you may want to consider getting a mattress encasement for the bed bugs so that if you do transport them to your new home, they won't infest your new mattresses.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Have a great day!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,815 posts in 29,341 topics over 90 months by 12,653 of 19,905 members. Latest: Wtf.hellnoin NJ, anxiety high, itchylady