Moving, Shoes, Car(3 posts)
So I am a poor grad student, and about two weeks ago, I found out I have bed bugs in my room that I am currently moving out of.... It's not my house, and the landlord doesn't want to get it treated, so I'm just leaving.
I'm taking a lot of precautions to make sure they don't spread to the new place.
- Throwing out a LOT of my stuff, bringing absolutely no furniture. All I'm bringing are some dishes, books, keepsakes, clothes, shoes, purses and guitar. ------------- I don't have much furniture as is, so it's not too big a deal to get rid of it.
-Washing and drying eeverything I possibly can. How do I make sure delicate items won't be destroyed? I have a lot of delicate clothing that I can't wash in high heat --- I hear 20 minutes in the dryer won't hurt delicate items, though. Is 20 minutes enough?
- Putting everything that cannot be laundered in contractor bags with Nuvan strips for 3-4 weeks. Is that enough? Also - how loosely packed should they be?
- How do I know if bags are sealed tight enough? I plan on packing and moving everythign in the contractor bags - should I seal them with tape? tie them in knots? double bag them? If I take bags of clothes to the laundromat, how can I be sure nothing will crawl out of the bags into my car?
- I heard laundromat dryers aren't as effective in killing bedbegs - Will a heavy duty residential dryer on high heat work to kill them? I heard that delicate clothing can be put in the dryer for 20 min as long as I don't put them in a washer - will that be effective in killing bedbugs?
- What should I do with my high heels? I'm on a budget, and can't really afford new pairs of shoes. I will do it if I have to.... so sad :( ... So far, I haven't seen any bed bugs in my shoes, but they WERE under my bed (before that fateful night when I discovered two adolescent bugs frolicking on my pillow next to my head). I have inspected the shoes, as much as you can inspect a pair of high heels., and seen nothing remarkable. I suspect that it was a relatively light infestation that didn't spread too much (Until i started cleaning and creating a ruckus)... But I want to be sure ....should I douse my shoes in 91% solution? will that work to kill everything that could be inside including eggs? should i line them DE? Should I nuvan them? Can I put them in a dryer? Should I pour extremely hot water all over them and let them air dry in the hot california sun?
- Where should I air out nuvan bags? At my old place or new place? i don't want to scare my new neighbors/roommates, but I don't want to risk infesting them if I air them out in my old home, or bring them unsealed in my potentially infested car.
- How do I make sure the outside of my contractor bags are not infested when I move? Should I wipe them down with alcohol? What are the chances of them being infested? What if my car is infested and they're sitting in there?
- How do I make sure my car is not contaminated at all? I have been checking seams, and pillows with a magnifying glass and flashlight, and I dont' see anything. I'm paranoid because I found a couple of nymphs in my laptop today, and I carry that around with me everywhere. --- I put DE down in my car tonight, and it just registered in my mind that i'm gonna be breathing that in while I drive. Not happy. I am planning on putting a BB active alert monitor in my car - Is that a good idea, or will it just attract bed bugs into my car through cracks (my car is very old with lots of cracks and crevices). - If it is infested, what can I do? --- I heard detailing works --- will a vacuum suffice, or do I have to ask to for a special steam clean service?
I would so appreciate your help and suggestions! (Just don't suggest a hair dryer or packtite, as I hear they're not 100% effective, and I unfortunately just can't do Vikane, or hire a PCO - I was a minimum of $600 for heat treatment of moving boxes-- and even that's not 100% effective. If I had more furniture/valuables, I might consider it) .... Do you think I'm prepared enough to move, esp considering that I don't have much stuff? ---
Pros to this experience:
- Heightened senses - I feel like a crazed, paranoid, exhausted version of spiderman.
- Going to home depot every other day - I feel very cool among all the burly men.
- Getting rid of things I don't need -- minimizing can feel good (Ignoring the night where I sobbed throwing away sentimental items)
- Yup. That's about it............. I don't even want to go into the cons. SIGH!
Thanks so much for your help!
Also --- what should I do with my laptop? Will nuvan work? And what about my iphone? it's a touch screen, so I should be able to see the eggs. Do I need to do anything with it??? Wipe it down with alcohol?
And! What do I do with my hair dryer and straightener? Nuvan, as well or will wiping with alcohol work? I want to be safe, but I also don't want to look like a bed head for four weeks.
You must log in to post.