Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Moving out UK help please! (cleaning electronics/books/shoes)

(3 posts)
  1. melgan

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 12 2017 10:29:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in the middle of a moving/bedbug crisis. My shared flat in London got BBs about 5 weeks ago, and my lease expires and I am moving to a new flat at the end of this month. The flat was treated with fiscum a week and a half ago, however we are not conviced that the PCOs did a thorough job. I moved back to my parent's house last week with a scant suitcase of belongings which I put through the dryer/vacuumed after nearly losing it from sleep deprivation.

My question now is what to do with the rest of my things. We are planning to collect them from my old flat at the weekend and keep the boxes in my parent's garage or shed so that I can clean them up before I move to my new flat. It's easy enough to deal with the things that can go through the dryer, but I am struggling to work out what to do with books/electronics/shoes etc.

I have read a lot about DDVP strips however it would appear that these are not legal in the UK. There also doesn't really seem to be anything on the market in terms of portable heat treatment - it feels as though we are very badly prepared to deal with BBs here! None of the PCOs I've spoken to seem to have any useful information about what to do (one suggested freezing everything for 24 hours which I've read on here doesn't work). It's probably not in those things as the infestation doesn't appear to be severe, but I don't want to take any chances in taking it to the new place.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 12 2017 10:33:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Where were the bed bugs found? How many bedrooms are there? Is there a shared common room couch or some other piece of furniture that was used for long periods by everyone?

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  3. melgan

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 12 2017 10:41:10
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a 4 bedroom top floor flat in a converted townhouse. The infestation appears to have started in the bedroom next to mine - the girl living there has found loads of live BBs at different stages. I found one adult BB and some nymphs on my mattress last week, having not seen any prior to that. There's been no sign of BB actitity in the other 2 bedrooms (or perhaps the boys who live in them aren't suceptable to bites..?)

There's a shared kitchen lounge with 3 sofas that we are worried about being contaminated, although we've seen no sign of BBs on them thus far.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd