Moving, how paranoid about non-bedroom stuff

(3 posts)
  1. jellybug

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 12:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

So long story short, we were possibly (but not certainly) exposed to bedbugs over the July 4 weekend at a small home in the mountains. My in-laws broke out in bites on exposed areas after first night. We had bites only after we got home and in non-bedbug-typical areas (primarily crotch and armpits). We were across the small house from my in-laws, but they moved to the sleeper couch right outside of our rooms the last night to try to get away from whatever was biting them in their room. I thought my MIL was being weird and paranoid since she was inspecting her mattress pretty closely the whole time (we are not close), and I didn't take any precautions with our luggage or clothes until we'd been back for three days and we started having bites appear.

We are staying in a furnished apartment while our house is being remodeled--we bought an older fixer-upper at the end of May. We move back into our home at the end of the month.

I have already washed/dried all clothes on high heat just in case, and we are keeping them in the Ziploc bags. . I have also bought packtite passive monitors for both beds and the couch, which should arrive in today's mail--however, I sprayed ecoguard and put down cimexa about a week ago.

Presuming we don't see any signs of bed bugs on the packtite monitors, how paranoid should I be about brining stuff back to my house in about two weeks? I'm mostly worried about my laptop printer, which is next to the couch, and unopened food stuff. The apartment is a very small 2/1.

Should I throw everything out? Take everything that's unopened?

Part of me thinks I'm being nuts since it probably wasn't bed bugs, at least for us. The other part of me wants to take zero chances because our house is super old and has nothing but cracks and crevices everywhere.

The cabin owner did have a PCO come out to inspect the cabin on Saturday, and the report came back clean--however, she told me on the phone that she had a "connection" to the PCO, and it was Orkin, so I'm not sure I totally trust it. My in-laws claim to have seen two bedbugs on shoes after they got home and spent $1,100 cryofreezing their house.

We *did* bring back fleas--or our cat-sitter brought them while we were away--but I can tell the flea bites from the other bites we have. (I'm a crazy cat lady and have had fleas plenty of times; I don't have a strong reaction to them but am still healing from the July 4-ish bites.) However, I am hoping that might be what was biting my in-laws and not bedbugs. It was a pet-friendly rental.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 12:23:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The printer and foods are terrible harborage areas for bed bugs, I wouldn't be concerned with those items at all.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  3. jellybug

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 12:35:59
    #

Login to Send PM

That's helpful. The printer is probably 10+ years old and has lots of vents on the back, which makes me anxious about it. I have been thinking of replacing it for a couple of years, but it seems like a waste of money to do so when it just keeps chugging along.

I figured bottled foods were okay, but I'm thinking about stuff in cardboard boxes. However, the kitchen is a bit separate from the other areas, so it would be very weird for bedbugs to head that way since we're never there at night and only there while cooking during the day.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,595 posts in 43,278 topics over 130 months by 18,982 of 19,560 members. Latest: Koonspg4s, slynnp1, bkb