Moving From an infested Bed Bug Apartment!!! Need Advice

(4 posts)
  1. infested77

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jan 28 2012 15:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So here is the situation... Moved into a new apartment the beginning of August, the beginning of Dec., I discover bedbugs. I found out the whole building has been infested with them for over a year according to a tenant downstairs. It is a multi- family building, five families including my family and one store on the first floor. I contacted the property manger immediately and she sent an exterminator over five days after. First off, I felt like I had to harass her to send one over. The exterminator came and had me bag up all my possessions with the exception of the kitchen stuff. The exterminator was very helpful (him and the internet) in my situation and gave me advice such as buying a Hepa vacuum, giving me glue traps to put under my furniture and telling me to caulk up the cracks and crevices in my apartment.
    I have brought mattress encasements, Hepa Vacuum, a Vapamore steam cleaner, caulk, double sided tape, clear plastic bags, clear plastic bins, a 50 lb. bag of DE with duster, face mask, laundered everything and anything that could be laundered and if not it went in to the dryer for 40 mins or more, depending on the items.I have vacuumed and steam cleaned on a three times a day daily basis since December. I also laundered my clothes and bedding every other day. I have researched this matter on the internet vigorously and followed expert advice closely. Also I have had my apartment exterminated four times but yet the bed bugs keep returning. I know that the bed bugs are coming from another part of the building because by the radiators are openings that I am unable to close up. Also since the heat is so strong in my apartment the caulk has been cracking allowing bed bugs to return from the baseboards and the floor. I keep sealing the cracks but my attempts are useless. I have been successful with the sticky tape around my furniture and bed to keep the bed bugs from biting my husband, 2 yr old daughter, and myself. However, I have the bed bugs coming out during the day now and crawling on the walls and ceiling, possibly trying to drop from the ceiling in order to feed off of us. We are all sleeping in one room since my daughters room is uninhabitable. Also the bed bugs I have been catching are grown adults and none of us have bites for these bugs to be surviving or growing. I was likely that I clean regularly and do not like clutter because I caught the first bed bug early but I know there is a major infestation some where in the building and the property manger has not made any attempts to exterminate the other units. I have even called the city and made a complaint in which they inspected my apartment and confirmed that I had bedbugs. I have a lease until this August but I understand that if they do not make any attempts in eradicating the bed bugs, I can break the lease. I can not live like this anymore and the infestation is getting worse. My mental health, my marriage, my finances and my life has seriously been affected by these bed bugs. I even sent a letter to my landlord stating the situation and that the whole building needs to be treated. I have received no response from him.
    So I have no other choice but to move. Please advise on how I can do this successfully because I can not survive bringing these demons to a new home.
    These have been my efforts so far....
    I have packed my stuff in clear plastic bags and then put the bags into bins in which I covered the inside with DE. Closed the bins and had my husband remove the bins from the house immediately to store in my family's backyard until we can move. This process is slow but I pray its effective.
    As for clothes I have a plan. I will take all laundry to the laundromat and dry everything that I can dry for as least 40 mins to 60 mins.
    As for my furniture... I will not be taking any of my furniture with me.Although some of my furniture is brand new since I purchased it for this apartment, I am not taking the chance. I will take my TVs but I need advice on electronics. So far I bagged one of the flat screens up in a bag with de and sealed the bag with tape. I plan on keeping it sealed for at least two weeks or more depending on when we move. I will take my mattress since it was not infested and I have a mattress encasement on it already. I will steam clean and bag it up before I remove it from the apartment.
    Please help me.... I need advice and I do not have money for a packtite or anything helpful like that since I have spent almost $1500 in treating my apartment.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jan 28 2012 19:21:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear infested,

If the situation is as presented above this sounds like a typical case wherein you occupied a residence that had a known & pre-existing BB infestation going on.

As such, there are options open to you and you need to seek out the correct advice from the properly experienced and qualified people who can best help you.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  3. Tomy001

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jan 28 2012 23:45:28
    #

Login to Send PM

[Admin warning: laws vary widely from one place to another. No one should be taking legal advice from anyone on the internet unles that person is a lawyer you have hired. You should not "take the word of" anyone here about legal matters. Moreover, I would not accept advice about using pesticides from just anyone here either. Remember that anyone can claim to be an expert online.]

First of all I would not be concerned about breaking the lease. What you have here is called
    a "constructive eviction". Take my word for it .. I'm a landlord and a PCO.
    Have you ever heard about Novon Strips? I would use is for your electronics and other items that can't
    be washed or dried. Your PCO should have done it for you already ... you paid $1500 !!!
    I really upsets me to read about PCO that take advantage of the situation and it is even more upsetting to read and personally meet landlords who are absolutely arrogant about the whole issue. I work my but of
    as both. Recently, I met an owner of 44 unit apartment complex with EPIC infestation in 4 units and moderate problem in 12. He wanted it treated with a 90 day guarantee for $2000. ... total.
    People like that deserve to learn what a rent strike is. Otherwise, there is no way for them to learn.

Before I spell out detailed advice on how to use pesticides, you should "compel" you PCO to return
    and do the job right, only because I don't think you should be using pesticides without proper training, especially with a baby around.

I hope that helps a bit. Here, I vented and feel much better

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2012 3:37:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Tomy001,

You said,

First of all I would not be concerned about breaking the lease. What you have here is called
    a "constructive eviction". Take my word for it .. I'm a landlord and a PCO.
    Have you ever heard about Novon Strips? I would use is for your electronics and other items that can't
    be washed or dried.

I added this to the top of your post:

[Admin warning: laws vary widely from one place to another. No one should be taking legal advice from anyone on the internet unles that person is a lawyer you have hired. You should not "take the word of" anyone here about legal matters. Moreover, I would not accept advice about using pesticides from just anyone here either. Remember that anyone can claim to be an expert online.]

I appreciate that you're trying to be supportive and helpful, but do you realize that there can be legal ramifications for breaking a lease? Laws on this vary and you should not be giving legal advice. You are not a lawyer. And if you were, it would
    still be problematic, because we have no way of knowing you are who you claim.

Furthermore, I agree with you that it might be dangerous for the original poster above to start applying pesticides. But you recommend that they go and buy some Nuvan strips? This product can be used safely or can pose quite a hazard. It should be used by those with knowledge of how to use it safely.

We always welcome new people on the forums who want to help others, but please consider carefully how people may react to your words, and what kind of background and knowledge you have that they may not (in the case of pesticides), and the limits of your knowledge (e.g. the laws in various places).

I am neither a lawyer nor a pest professional, but I do know how quickly some understandably desperate people will try and implement recommendations from pseudonymous strangers on the 'net. We all need to be very cautious about the suggestions given and how they are given.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.