Moving, don't want to take any bed bugs with me

(3 posts)
  1. owen265

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 21 2012 16:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I should start by saying I'm not completely sure I have bed bugs. I noticed a few small red, itchy bumps a few days ago (one on each hand, one on each foot, two on one arm) and have been quite itchy in general, but I haven't seen any of the evidence for bed bugs that's usually cited, and I've had mattress covers on my box springs and mattress since being in this apartment. But I've also had small itchy bites every now and then (though relatively rarely) over the last 6 months.

The problem is that I'm moving out of my current apartment this coming Saturday, don't have time to have the apartment checked out and (if needed) treated, and am therefore very concerned about transferring bed bugs to my new home.

I was already planning on throwing out my mattress and all of my wooden furniture before the 'bites', but now have added incentive to do so. I will be bringing with me only clothes, books, a mini fridge, a suitcase, and a large bag for my clothes to my new place, and that's it.

Can anyone please advise me on how best to proceed and how to ensure I do not transfer bed bugs to my new home?

Many, many thanks

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 21 2012 17:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would suggest that you use the disposal of the bed and mattress as a chance to do a through if not destructive inspection. If you find signs that confirm seal all items and move with the view to decontaminating at the other end.

If its clear and you feel you have been thorough them move with normal precautions. It's a lot like the risks with a hotel, the harder you look and find nothing the less likely you are to take anything unwanted home. In this case moreso because in a light early case the bed and immediate sleeping area would be the only infested part of the room, unless an infected item was brought in which would be detected through looking while packing.

Just upack quickly at the other end once you know the apartment itself is clear and no with life as normal.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. owen265

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 21 2012 20:10:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David! That's really helpful (and reassuring) to hear.

I'm sure you've posted this elsewhere on the site, but I was wondering if you could list some of the steps for decontamination on the other end just in case (*gulp*) I do find something while packing up.

Many thanks again!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.