Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Moving but current apt is still infested how to not take bed bugs with us?

(4 posts)
  1. bedbugnightmare

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Apr 15 2017 5:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

My family is moving to a new apartment soon. Our current apartment has an infestation that we never treated. How can I avoid taking bed bugs to the new place? We've already decided to throw out our beds especially because they were 10+ years old anyway. I'm afraid to take any furniture to the new place and would rather just throw it all out especially because it's old. The only big pieces of furniture left in the two rooms that were infested are wooden dressers, a wooden table, and a small wooden desk. If you have any advice on what would be a good way to treat these things or if I should just throw them out let me know. Also what precautions should I take when moving other items such as: DVD'S, CD'S, electronics, piles of paperwork, etc.

With our books I'm honestly considering throwing them out as hard as that is. I know bed bugs can live in the books and there really isn't anyway to treat them without damaging them? The books I am keeping I put into ziploc bags and will double bag them. Do you guys think that will work? I know that I will need to keep the bags sealed for a year or two to kill the bugs.

Also I was thinking of washing some of our clothes and taking it directly to the new apartment so that they don't get contaminated again as we keep packing. Is this a good idea?

If you guys have any more tips that would be great. This whole situation has been really stressful as we've been dealing with it for about a year now. Also the reason we never got treatment for the bed bugs in our current place is because my mom never consider it as an option and never wanted to tell the manager so my family has just been dealing with it as much as we can.

2. mp7ski

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Apr 16 2017 1:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Moving is difficult, I'm in the process of doing it during an active infestation myself. People have done it, but it often fails. If you've been dealing with an infestation for over a year with no treatment, you need to assume everything is infested. I've undergone unsuccessful treatments and have controlled them somewhat but am still planning to only take treated cloths clothes and only a few things that have been treated in a packtite.

That's your best bet. But it's still not a guarantee. Nothing is with bed bugs. Just do your research, this site has a FAQ section to help. Good luck.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. mp7ski

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Apr 16 2017 2:21:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Also look into vikane or heat treating a moving truck with your belongings in it. That's the best bet as far as treatin any of your belongings.

4. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Apr 21 2017 3:02:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Everything you're moving needs to be treated if you want to be sure bed bugs aren't moved.

Heat treatment may not kill every bed bug, and even if it does, if attached neighbors have bed bugs, more can be introduced at any time.

If money permits, you may be able to get a pod or moving truck treated en route with Vikine gas (sulfuryl fluoride). It's not cheap, but should enable you to treat everything at once (more or less) and take it all.

Less expensive possibilities include heating items using a Packtite or other bed bug oven (see this section of useful tools on Packtite and other bed bug ovens), sealing items in bags and treating with DDVP stripsor Cirkil/Proof Rag in a Bag -- note this last option has a smell some will not be willing to deal with (see the Useful Tools sections on DDVP strips and on Cirkil/Proof Rag in a Bag).

Clothing and other cloth items can simply be washed and dried on hot or just dried on hot. The FAQs cover this. Yes good idea to wash and tumble dry clothes and take to new apartment first

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,798 posts in 42,219 topics over 127 months by 18,529 of 19,024 members. Latest: Graham35, katieny, teemo87