Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Moved a week ago w little. Bite on wrist yesterday? Freaking OUT!

(6 posts)
  1. BBNL

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 5:03:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I am on the verge of a meltdown so I hope you can help me not go crazy.

Backstory: I moved into an infested apt and had 1 bite in my bed. My roommate never got bitten. I had the place treated by a pro and all was well till about a month before I moved, when I got several bites despite sprinkling DE all over the place.

On the 30th I moved out and threw out a bunch of stuff, even some clothes. I washed and/or dryed everything possible and used a sturdy steam iron to steam whatever I could, including the travel backpack I had used earlier this year and place in a garbage bag when I returned home. I put everything possible in large garbage bags and stored it all in a neighbor's attic, along with a few items (lamps, picture frames) that I inspected and steamed and/or rubbed down with something equivalent to kerosene (I live in the Netherlands and don't know the translation for all the chemical names).

I'm staying at a friend's and brought with me my steamed backpack with clothes, one of the large trash bags with winter coats, and items I had been using daily such as my laptop bag and a couple of purses with whatever was inside them (books, notebooks etc.).

Once I got to my friend's I did notice that the large plastic bag had a hole at the bottom and the friend who was helping me move my stuff had put it down on the floor in the hallway of the building. I threw out the coat that had touched the floor just in case.

Late afternoon yesterday I took a nap in my day clothes in my bed, maybe for about 45 mins, and woke up with a small bite on my wrist. It doesn't itch at all and when I press it it hurts, though less and less since last night. All the other bites I got itch at least a little so a tiny part of me is wondering if this could be something else but the rest of me is saying, "Yup, bb's."

I'm washing all the sheets in 70C but of course I'm thinking, "The bugs are already everywhere!" Though I dealt with this before, I am very low on energy at the moment, especially thinking I'm at a friend's place. My mind keeps going blue like a dying computer screen. My friend doesn't have a dryer.

Please help me figure out what to do next!

Thank you!!!

2. BBNL

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2016 7:01:01
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE

Firstly, I would really appreciate any support as you might imagine Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I moved into my current place and 1 week since the bite (in my bedroom). I live in the Netherlands.

-So far I've only treated part of my bedroom (steam + DE), and have sprinkled DE around the edges of the living room carpet, which I will be steaming today.
    -Finally found rubbing alcohol! I got the 96% bottle but there's also 70%, and they can be found at drug stores like Etos or Kruidvat in small bottles (only option: 120ml bottles). Will use Richard Fagerlund's spray formula.

-Discovery: I couldn't figure out how the heck any of these mofos got into my stuff but now I have a theory: a plastic bag with my stuff was put on the floor at my old place and it picked up eggs. That may or may not be true. ANYWAY, today I pulled my laptop bag out of a plastic bag and lo and behold, there was a tiny bug crawling on the flap!!! It was quick and my reaction was to squish the SOB. So now I'm thinking that the bag might have been the carrier of bb's/eggs.

So now my thoughts are flying around my head like plastic bags in a tornado because I previously had my laptop bag in the hallway! I'm trying to remain calm but of course am thinking: OMG, there could be bb's everywhere!

Any thoughts much appreciated - and sorry for the lengthy posts, but hopefully details can help others.

Thank you!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 2:03:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Experts recommend the 91% rubbing alcohol, so I would go with the 96%. However, please be cautious with that (and the kerosene!)-- people have started fires after using alcohol to treat for bed bugs. It's best to use sparingly if at all.

Steam is a great contact killer. And remember, if you do not see bed bugs, there's no point spraying alcohol in those spots.

Good luck and try to get some sleep.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. BBNL

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 4:10:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the comment, Nobugsonme.

I'm using alcohol in the 40/40/20+DE formula only. At 2,35EUR it's too expensive NOT to use sparingly haha

5. BBNL

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Oct 27 2016 8:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE: I treated twice but I might have gotten a bite on my chest 3 nights ago. It itches only a bit and I'm not sure if a pimple + my imagination is what's actually causing the itching. This morning I woke up with a small bump on my ribcage that itched a little but stopped.

I've been getting blisters on my body due to stress as well, but I'll treat again just in case.

6. BBNL

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Oct 29 2016 19:52:23
    #

Login to Send PM

If it's OK I'll keep posting updates here - helps me feel better and hopefully will help someone when I succeed!

TODAY I vaccumed everywhere possible (including the mattress and comforter) with a piece of pantyhose over the vacuum pieces, dumping whatever came out in a bucket with soap and water as instructed by a pro. Found no traces. I found out that the bottoms of the storage box springs* come off so I checked and treated under there, too.

After vaccuuming I sprayed permethrin in nooks and corners and along the perimeters of the box springs, then sprinkled DE along the baseboards and around the feet of the box springs. Also applied some soap/water/DE mixture along some spots and mopped with soapy water.

I realize I've been hesitant to go to bed but it's late and I'm going now, praying I won't get bitten and most of all that the bugs are all dead.

*Not sure if there's a name for them, but I'm able to open the twin box springs to store things in them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,281 posts in 46,533 topics over 141 months by 20,522 of 21,383 members. Latest: bugBgone123, Wings83, eloiamb@hotmail.com