(7 posts)
  1. bedbugbadbug

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 15:36:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

I currently live in a 3 bedroom apartment as a roommate in NYC, and about 2 weeks ago my roommate mentioned finding bugs crawling on his wall. I immediately checked out the bed frame in his room, and found a pretty bad infestation in his bed frame and in the wall adjacent to the bed where the paints were chipped. We called the landlord immediately and he scheduled an exterminator to come out in 2 days to spray our apartment. We freaked out and done what we shouldn't have done if we were smart...we threw away the bed frame and the mattress on the street without putting a plastic cover on...possibly and probably spreading them throughout the apartment and the building. (we threw them away under the landlord's and exterminator's consent...making me to doubt how legit this exterminator is)

Although my room didn't seem to have the infestation, I've been freaking out since then for the possibility. (I didn't have any bite marks, I already had a bed bug casing on my mattress, and I went through all the furniture and didn't find any sign of a BB)

I took the next day off and prepared for the spray. I put all my fabric items into washer and dryer, then put them into garbage bags immediately and sealed them tight with duct tapes. I only set aside 1 week worth of clothes in separate garbage bags. I put all the shoes in another garbage bags. I put all the suits in separate garbage bags to have them be dry cleaned later. I threw away about 1/3 of my belongings (CD's, DVD's, Books, etc.), and everything else, I tried to inspect as carefully as possible and put them in garbage bags. All the garbage bags are now double bagged and piled up on the kitchen.

During this time...the roommate with infestation followed above protocols only about half, and the other roommate....none...saying her room is fine since she doesn't have any bites...They've been both thinking that I'm over reacting to the issue. I realized that this problem will never go away since my roommates are not cooperating at all, and thus, I decided to move out. My roommates were okay with my moving out. I've been extremely stressed out especially in fear that I somehow may and could have carried a hitch hiker and spread this problem to my gf, office, and church. Since 2 weeks ago, I've been wearing only fresh clothes (washer/dryer) every time I go out, covered my shoes with Cimexa the night before I have to wear them, and I've been sleeping with every inch of me covered in with long pajamas, gloves, socks, and ski masks with Cimexa sprinkled around the mattress.

The exterminator has come out twice and sprayed different chemicals with a week apart. The landlord called a contractor to come out and seal baseboards and every openings/cracks that they could find in all three rooms the day after the second spray. That was 3 days ago, and last night, my roommate found another live one crawling on the infested wall.

I thankfully found another place to move into and I will be moving out this Saturday. The rent is a few hundred dollars higher, but I'm desperate. I will be moving into a fully furnished place, and thus, I will leave all furniture including mattress behind. The other roommates wanted to keep them...So here's my action plan and I would like all your opinions/advice:

1. I already took Thursday/Friday off to prep for the move.
    2. I already rented a car from Thursday till Saturday.
    3. Washer/Dryer all the fabric related items one more time at a laundromat and sort them into contractor bags (4 mil) with a Nuvan Pro strips thrown in, tightly sealed, and store them in the rental car immediately without taking them to my room. I will set aside another bag with clothes for next 2-4 weeks, but for all other bags, I will have them sealed with the Nuvan Pro strips for minimum 2 weeks.
    4. All the clothes that cannot be put into washer/dryer, I will throw them into another contractor bag with a Nuvan Pro strip, and eventually have them dry cleaned in a few weeks.
    5. Sort through all other items carefully and throw away as much as possible.
    6. All other items that need to be saved and can be heat treated (books, shoes, etc.), run them through Zappbug Heater per the instructions. (I already tested the unit I received to make sure it's working) Then, sort and put them into contractor bags with a Nuvan Pro strip thrown into each bag and have them sealed for 2-4 weeks. I will only save my bathing items (lotions, etc.), ipad, and cell phone charger set aside to use for next couple weeks.
    7. All other items that cannot be heat treated (photos, laptop, monitor, etc.), put them into contractor bags with a Nuvan Pro strip thrown into each bag for however long I can store them.
    8. Each time, I bag up something, I will store them straight in the rental car, minimizing the time it stays in my room.
    9. Lastly, I will bag up the Zappbug heater into a contractor bag with a Nuvan Pro strip thrown in, and have it stored away for a very long time.
    10. Prepare a pair of new flip-flops, and clean/new clothing into a garbage bag and set it aside the night before the move.
    11. On the day of the move, throw the clothing I wore to sleep and the day before into a garbage bag, shower, put on new clothes in the bathroom, throw away the dirty clothing and the flip flop I've been wearing, and put on a new pair before getting into the car.

I tried to plan this as carefully as possible...and I will do my best to follow above protocols...But please do let me know if you find any flaws or additional suggestions to above protocols! My room is not suspected of infestation, but I want to double kill/triple kill to make sure. For all you pros, what may be the chance that I will still carry one with me to a new place?

Now that I know more, I'm thinking maybe I should've just spent another $400 compared to what I spent already and just fumigate...but I've been carried away without much research and already paid for the rental car, Zappbug heater, Nuvan strips, etc. that if I change the plan now, I basically will be losing $400 already spent on top of additional $800 for fumigation. The cost is too much for me at the moment...Do you guys think I should still go for the fumigation, or above plan seems as legitimate?

Thanks everyone for reading through and any advice/opinion is appreciated!

Thanks,

D

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 23:58:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Much clothing that can't be washed AND dried on hot can still be dried on hot if it starts out dry.

Items don't need to be washed if they start out clean-- drying on hot is enough.

Items which are dried on hot and sealed don't need to be treated with Nuvan Prostrips (DDVP).

I am not an expert on DDVP but a former site user PBello is and so would read some of his past threads for advice on its use: http://bedbugger.com/forum/profile/p-bello

The only other suggestion I have is just a practical one-- you may want to try and avoid moving bags of stuff with DDVP strips in them around-- bags of heavy stuff can tear and it may be better to get them where they're going and then treat. Or the other way around.

If you thought you could bear staying around a little longer, it might be possible to beat this (and stay or go at that point). Seeing a bed bug after a first or second treatment does not mean it's failing.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Ozzymandias

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 9:57:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey bedbugbadbug,

Sounds like we are dealing with very similar situations, although you'll likely envy the fact that I am dealing with infested neighbors, rather than roommates. See my recent post: here

I think your plan is much more thorough than mine, and nobugsonme's pointers seem sound for toning down the overkill. That said, I know that I am looking for peace of mind more than anything else, so maybe you should go ahead and do whatever seems reasonable to you . . . even if it is overkill. Just don't waste all of your money, because as others have pointed out in these forums, you can go through all of this and still end up with them at your new place (from a neighbor, a straggler, a friend coming over with eggs on their bag, etc.

Would love to hear your comments on my own plan.

4. bedbugbadbug

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 10:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Thanks for the tips, Nobugsonme! I read through PBello's previous posts, and I will most likely get large transparent/translucent plastic bins for non-fabric items for Nuvan strips. And for everything else, I will make sure to double bag everything with 4-mil contractor bags to prevent any ripping.

Like Ozzymandias mentioned, I understand I am doing overkill with heat and Nuvan strips for that peace of mind. But it's great to hear that doing even just one of two methods can kill bed bugs, and I already bought 12 Nuvan strips, so I will have to use them all anyways.

Regarding moving out, the biggest reason I'm moving out is that my roommates are not taking this as serious. They both think I'm overreacting by following the protocols...The roommate with the infestation still has clothes in his room and wears same pair of shoes everywhere (his room, kitchen, bathroom, gym, work, etc.), in which can spread the infestation within the house and his office...The other roommate didn't even bag anything at all, and left everything in her room as is because she thinks she's completely safe and free from infestation...so if one bug somehow find it's way there, this war will never end...this is a very small and old apartment unit, so anything is possible. Even the contractor who painted over the infested wall said, this won't kill them, but simply delay them or seal them for awhile. Once there's another paint chip on that wall, it will begin again. The fear of possibility that I can spread this to my gf or office is eating me alive every hour...

I think this may be a good time to move out since we just had second treatment last week, and population should've decreased a little bit for awhile...I hope...

Any other suggestions/advice would be appreciated! Even if it's an overkill.

Thanks,

D!

5. Ozzymandias

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Oct 14 2017 10:51:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hope the move goes well today.

6. bedbugbadbug

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Mon Oct 16 2017 15:42:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Ozzymandias, thanks for the encouragements!

My place was treated with sprays by exterminators on Thursday morning for the 3rd time, and once the treatment was finished, I followed above steps very carefully as much as possible throughout Thursday till Saturday morning...barely had any sleep for those two nights.

Now I moved into the new place with bunch of bags and plastic boxes with Nuvan Prostrips in them. I decided not to store away regular clothes with Nuvan Prostrips since I ran them in the dryer for over an hour for each bag. The only other thing I've done compared to above was basically wash all the kitchenware before putting them into plastic bin...but I haven't treated them with Nuvan Prostrips.

I will open Nuvan Prostrip treated bags/bins after 3-4 weeks, and thankfully, my new place has a balcony that I can safely ventilate these.

I really hope I have successfully escaped without a single hitch hiker. I believe I've done all I could and the rest is up to God...I feel pretty confident since there's not a single item that I haven't inspected or treated that I brought with me...and I believe this was some serious prep for someone who hasn't seen a single bed bug or bite in his room, but infestation was in his roommate's room.

Good luck to you Ozzymandias as well, and I will keep you all updated after a month.

7. Ozzymandias

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Mon Oct 16 2017 17:30:56
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugbadbug - 1 hour ago  » 
    Good luck to you Ozzymandias as well, and I will keep you all updated after a month.

Heya,

Glad to hear things went pretty well. You sound pretty confident, and I really think you've taken the necessary precautions to get your risk down as close to that of someone who hasn't had an infested roommate. There is always risk, of course, but everyone is facing it. They say as many as 1 in 5 people have the damn things, so every restaurant table, subway ride, or bump against a stranger presents a risk. I'm not saying this to rattle you, but to encourage you that you've done everything you can . . . if you get the fuckers at the new place, I really think it is NOT your fault.

I fucking found one on my wall this weekend. I still have no signs of an infestation in my apartment––the bed is encased and inspected twice daily, I have no bites, and I simply cannot find anything other than these adults that seem to be stragglers coming from the infested apartments, two floors away. That said, I think it's just a matter of time, and I need to get to work.

Please feel free to send me a private message on these forums if you want to chat on the telephone or over skype or something about our similar experiences with this. I'd love to get your input on my own procedures, and I feel like we're sort of kindred spirits at this point.

May the BBs be behind you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234