Morning discovery, please HELP [a: clearer images needed to ID]

(11 posts)
  1. val7x

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 12:10:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I work for a very prestigious internet company at one of their warehouses, and recently there was a bed bug problem in the locker area and work in general. Mind you about 1000 employees work there and they hired a batch of temps for the holidays and operate 24 hours. so there is a lot of possible ways anything can spread. So HR being brilliant, pulled everyone's things out of their lockers, threw everyone's coats together & had someone hardly spray some things down. I thought this was a terrible idea as you would think that's how things spread. I can deal with bugs, but because I travel and do things. This has always been my number one fear.

This morning I woke up late to work and I spotted what seemed very similar to a nymph, I killed it and it left a blood stain. A few minutes later around the same area I saw another younger clear nymph and kill that one. This was enough proof for me. I tend to have very bad anxiety and am medicated for it, but this gave me a literal panic attack. I'm extremely tired and have been researching and reading treatment options. I'm on hour number 5 now. I still don't know where to begin. There is so much information that everything seems 50/50 I'll find something and read good things, then bad.

Unfortunately, I'm in real bad financial trouble, and can't afford to hire an exterminator. So I have to take matters into my own hands, which even then I could barely afford. A friend suggested bombs as it worked for him before, but I kept reading how that was the worst thing you can do. I don't have a plan, but what I have in mind is wash sheets, vacuum as thorough as possible, and order encasement today which will unfortunately be coming tomorrow then powder with DE or CimeXa. I can get DE at the store today, but CimeXa would be coming tomorrow which I've read is the better choice. I don't know how much of a difference a days wait would make, as i feel this is a time sensitive matter? also should I was my pillows as well and buy casings? and lastly I was reading about oils and how a cinnamon oil mixture worked for someone if any one here has experience with that?

But as I've mentioned I've researched a lot and still feel at a dead end. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated or steps I can take that have worked for you.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 13:30:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Post some photos of what you're finding, nymphs can easily be identified incorrectly.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. val7x

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 14:10:43
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 37 minutes ago  » 
    Post some photos of what you're finding, nymphs can easily be identified incorrectly.

I have the one picture from this morning, grabbed whatever was nearest, in this case an old rag and killed it. I tried to sharpen it as much as I can. Hope it helps.

https://flic.kr/p/22iPgym

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 15:03:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe someone else can recognize what you have there but I just can't see enough to give you an ID.

5. val7x

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Jan 12 2018 20:55:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't been able to catch anymore since I've been avoiding my room. I did sleep in my bed last night, and did wake up to bites on my ankles and arms.

I'm almost sure I brought them with me and very paranoid to do anything even go to different rooms in my house. Any answers to me previous questions and additional tips would be greatly appreciated.

6. goingcrazy88

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Jan 13 2018 21:53:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I heard Cimexa is faster acting and more effective. DE can take 7 to 14 days to kill the bugs. Which gives them ample time to reproduce hundreds more. If you do get DE, be sure you're washing and drying every piece of clothing and bedding you have on high heat. Get encasements for mattress, box springs, and yes even pillows. Vacuum every day and immediately throw the bag out to the dumpster. But seal the bag tight. Get bug monitors for the legs of bed frame and furniture. Dry everything on the highest best for 1-2 hours. I may be exaggerating with timing but better safe than sorry. I also have anxiety so i know the feeling. Make sure you check everything peice of item you have for bugs. Declutter everything because bugs love to hide in such places. There is a spray on Amazon called Tempo Ultra SC or something like that but it costs around $50. But it's a liquid form that turns to powder when it dries and lasts up to 6 months. I think that's the next best thing to an exterminator. I'm getting some of it to use for my place also. But make sure you cover all furniture in encasements too. Be very aggressive and consistent with it. I won't lie, it's such a pain and exhaustive. Theyre hard to get rid of but possible

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 2:01:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Added a note to attract more expert IDs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 9:40:49
    #

Login to Send PM

val7x - 2 days ago  » 

I'm almost sure I brought them with me and very paranoid to do anything even go to different rooms in my house.

I have the one picture from this morning, grabbed whatever was nearest, in this case an old rag and killed it. I tried to sharpen it as much as I can. Hope it helps.

You had them in the previous home?
    It's really not in focus at all. There's something about the colors and patterns that suggest a bed bug nymph. Do you still have the same sample? Try taking a few pictures but set it to highest resolution and largest picture size. Some pictures without zooming in closely.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. val7x

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Jan 19 2018 15:54:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi I apologize for the late response, I usually don't spend time on my computer during the work week. I did end up having them, or rather do have them. I bought DE at my home depot that came with an entire kit, I believe it was called Harrison's and also ordered CimeXa online which took a few days to come along with the mattress and pillow encasement. I started washing and vacuuming everything and all seemed fine. I figured they would come out during the vacuuming process. So I followed the kit and when it got to the spraying part is when they started coming out from the mattress. at that time I had already powdered everything lightly and stuff as well. Ended up casing the mattress, box spring, and pillows. I've powdered any cracks and crevices along the wood in my room, and also the furniture near my bed. I'm really hoping they were just on the mattress. I haven't seen any since but only time will tell. I'll retreat when it hits week 2. Hopefully pickup the Tempo Ultra SC goingcrazy suggested as well. Hopefully I'm doing this right and caught it sooner than later.

10. val7x

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Jan 19 2018 15:57:19
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 5 days ago  » 

val7x - 2 days ago  » 

I'm almost sure I brought them with me and very paranoid to do anything even go to different rooms in my house.

You had them in the previous home?
    It's really not in focus at all. There's something about the colors and patterns that suggest a bed bug nymph. Do you still have the same sample? Try taking a few pictures but set it to highest resolution and largest picture size. Some pictures without zooming in closely.

Nope not in s previous home, I'm thinking I brought them from work since there were rumors going around and they brought in an exterminator. Can't really think of anywhere else it could have happened. Unfortunately I have a huge phobia of them and as soon as i took the picture I disposed of it. Didn't think of saving another since I vacuumed and killed the visible ones. After having seen them on the mattress and adult ones I'm 100% sure I do have them though.

11. val7x

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Jan 19 2018 15:58:59
    #

Login to Send PM

If I do come across anymore, I will take a pic. After what I've seen in the crevices of my mattress though I'm positive they're bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,826 posts in 45,105 topics over 138 months by 19,806 of 20,545 members. Latest: Mollygee23, DaveC, TravelerK