Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Montreal -- Clean Hotel?

(6 posts)
  1. buggedmama

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 15:08:36
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, WOW! Has anyone ever Googled a city name, hotel, then "Bed bugs" ??? I got 26 hits for Montreal!

Any bedbuggers out there know of a clean (bed bug free) hotel in Montreal? I guess I am going to have to start Googling them one by one until I find one that comes up with no reports. Yikes. That or sleep in our car.

2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 15:17:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Oddly enough you may actually be better off staying at a place that has had bed bugs some time ago and have since resolved the problem.

The reasons behind this are:

Bed bugs can be removed from a location and will remain that way until someone else brings them in.

A commercial facility (hotel) which has had an issue with bed bugs is more likelyt o conduct regular checks and make sure they are clear than one who is still yet to have a problem or even realise that they have a problem.

Although internet publishing is fast ANY time between you checking and visiting the location could have resulted in a new infestation being brought in.

The only way to avoid contact with Bed Bugs is to check yourself before you move your bags into the room.

Looking for locations that have not been affected or that people say are free will only lull you into a false sense of security.

Sorry to say it but you have to check yourself to be sure on the day, there is no other way to be sure.

David

3. MixedFeelings

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 15:54:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Allo!

I live in Montreal, and there is a great hotel downtown I go to frequently when I just need a little break from family life. It is excellent, very nice. Find here: http://www.deltamontreal.com/eng/index.html

If you are staying 2 nights (or more?), you can get a nice discount package (for multiple hotels) here: http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/b2c/11/winter.asp?LangueID=2

This package is what I use to make my getaways more affordable. At the Delta, this package entitles you to free breakfast coupons, and their breakfast buffet is very nice. For $4, you can upgrade from the free continental breakfast to one that includes all the hot meats.

Now, the caveat. The Delta Montreal has always been impeccable. I've stayed there multiple times, and have inspected for BBs each time. So far, nothing. And I've never brought home BBs from the Delta either.

I *am* dealing with BBs at home now, but I got them at a hotel in NYC!!

Hope this helps, and good luck,

MF

PS - Of course, anywhere you stay (hotels or otherwise), you should always do your own BB checks before settling in. Personally, I would go into the room, put my bags and coat in the bathtub, and then inspect. And when feeling all is clear, then settle in. But of course, take decon measures upon returning home, just in case!!

4. buggedmama

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 21 2008 22:26:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Very good points, David. A lot of the reports were in 2007. The whole idea of staying in a hotel is freaking me out quite a bit, but I know it isn't 100% rational. I am already planning on bringing minimal items, following protocols, etc. even if I don't see any signs of BBs, which I will, of course check immediate.

MF, thanks for the tip I will look into that hotel. I am trying to remember the name of the one I stayed in a few years ago, it was very nice and did not have BB at the time (but of course that doesn't mean anything now). It was on Rue St. Catherine.

5. yjennifer

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2011 22:20:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I just visited Montreal for the first time this weekend. I stayed at the [name redacted] Hotel on Saint Denis. We noticed dozens of them on the sheets, comforter and pillow cases. We told the front desk and asked for a refund as we refused to stay another night. Even though the young man at the front desk acknowledged we were the second group of people to report a room with bed bugs, they were not willing to work with us and refund our money. They never apologized or asked us to show them the bugs.

Just FYI- although I can't tell you what places do not have bed bugs, this one certainly does.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2011 23:12:47
    #

Login to Send PM

yjennifer - 48 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    I just visited Montreal for the first time this weekend. I stayed at the ...

Hi yjennifer,

We don't really collect reports of bed bug sightings at specific addresses here, and someone looking for such information is unlikely to find it. You can consider posting your experience with this hotel on the Bed Bug Registry and/or Tripadvisor.com.

It's worth being aware that one hotel owner recently sued someone for writing such a review on Tripadvisor.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.