Mineral oil (Baby oil)

(6 posts)
  1. heavyrocker

Account closed

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 12:20:27
    #

Login to Send PM

This stuff really works,i caught a BB and dropped it into a small cup of the oil and it sank right way and could not move,looked like it was dead,ishould jave taken it out an seen if came back to life,but i assure you it was not moving for at least 5 minutes.I put some in glass thick bowls under bed legS and no bites or signs of the evil things.BTW...i have a BB proof encashment and i power steamed my bed frame...very important to get a good steamer,they lay eggs everywhere.They CANNOT crawl up glass.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 20:24:56
    #

Login to Send PM

heavyrocker,

One problem with putting your bed in moats of oil is that it may cause them to spread to various other parts of your home in order to feed on you. This makes them more expensive to treat and treatment may take much longer. I do not recommend cups of oil on the bed legs. (Or vaseline or tape.)

Some PCOs seem to like ClimbUp Insect Interceptors but at least one is concerned this may also lead to bed bugs spreading.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. heavyrocker

Account closed

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 11:42:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry but i disagree with you on this one,i think the very first thing one should do is totally isolate the bed with good covers and and the oil(vasoilne dont work) make sure bed frame is totally bug free,keeping hem from the main food source is #1,and i can sleep at nite,i know they will be coming at me sitting at my desk and stuff,but at least i sleep at nite,also my place is a small studio type.I amd making progress.

GET A STEAMER EVERYONE,you even have to steam the new covers after putting them on cause the eggs can infect the top cover by all the pulling and moving to get it on,and power steam the bed frames again too.works for me...no more bites in bed.

4. heavyrocker

Account closed

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 11:49:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Also never sit on you bed after isolating it with your clothes EVER...they can hitch a ride to the bed right from you computer desk again.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 13:44:27
    #

Login to Send PM

heavyrocker - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sorry but i disagree with you on this one,i think the very first thing one should do is totally isolate the bed with good covers and and the oil(vasoilne dont work) make sure bed frame is totally bug free,keeping hem from the main food source is #1,and i can sleep at nite,i know they will be coming at me sitting at my desk and stuff,but at least i sleep at nite,also my place is a small studio type.I amd making progress.

The thing is, I used to find this kind of argument compelling. But experts tell us that isolating the bed legs with oil can make bed bugs spread around your home.

You yourself may not be in the best position to say whether this will have negative effects or not -- for yourself or for others.

I hope your bed bug problem is cleared up swiftly, but I would ask you not to encourage these methods.

6. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 16:44:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand the argument, and sometimes I wish I had not isolated mine since the bed is in many ways the easiest place to inspect. Of course, at this point, with the mattress and box spring encased, I am not going to look back and change things.

Still, I can't help but wonder if the argument that they will stay around the bed, unless driven elsewhere, is as strong as everyone makes it out to be. It strikes me as quite a feat to keep them limited to the bedroom. They can be on us when we move in and out of the bedroom, and get loose in another area just as they travel on clothes and spread to another building or home. It would seem that people whose infestation is known to be limited to the bedroom should not have to worry so much about having company over or transporting the bugs as hitchhikers. People tend to be sedentary these days, hanging out on the couch for hours watching television, or spending half the day at a computer. It just seems like people would have to be awfully lucky to keep them in the bedroom;that bugs have some kind of preference for that area strikes me as an old-fashioned idea born in an earlier time when people had no TVs or computers.

It just all seems like chance to me. Many people here feel that they are bitten at their computers or couches, and I wonder how many of them even have their bed isolated. If they are going to spread anyway, I would rather sleep in peace, yet all the while knowing that no matter how isolated it is, some chance thing can bring them back to the bed again, headed for the frames. Impossible to isolate frames once they get in the bed somehow.

Just some thoughts. I realize people here know much more about it than I do.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.