Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Methyl bromide

(5 posts)
  1. controlfreak

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 20:42:49
    #

Login to Send PM

So what is the verdict about methly bromide? Can it be used instead of vikane? Leaves residue or not? Anyone who used it for BBs? Is there a place i can call and ask?

2. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 22:49:45
    #

Login to Send PM

From my understanding Vikane is now more commonly used in place of Methyl bromide. Methyl bromide used to be used for many fumigations for pests (old house bores, carpenter ants, etc...) just the way Vikane/Profume is used today. Methyl Bromide does leave a residue on all surrounding surfaces and may take longer due to it's weight. I believe this is one of the reasons that vikane is more commonly used today. It's a true gas, releases quickly and leaves no residue. Because Vikane is lighter and being a true gas, the fumigant it gets into tiny cracks easier and leaves the area w/o residue in a much smaller time window. This is my understanding from the research I've done in the past. Experts feel free to add or correct me where I'm wrong.

3. controlfreak

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 14:25:20
    #

Login to Send PM

The company I found only uses Methyl Bromide but I am thinking if it leaves residue, it really shouldn't be used to treat furniture like mattress or futons or sofa. I can wash everything else and clean the wood surfaces etc but I feel uncomfortable with leaving fabric inside the truck. I am surprised that they have the facility to do fumigation but did not move to vikane yet.

4. crossroads

Posted 6 days ago
    Wed May 17 2017 13:10:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it is worth reviving this old thread to mention this 2015 article about the potential lethal and alarmingly rapid consequences of methyl bromide:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/07/the-bug-spray-that-felled-a-family

Terminix later settled with the family for $87M:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/terminix-set-87m-settlement-poisoned-family-article-1.2734342

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 days ago
    Wed May 17 2017 14:36:50
    #

Login to Send PM

"Terminix has admitted that one of its workers sprayed the apartment below with methyl bromide, an odorless gas that was banned from indoor use in 1984 and can cause severe damage to the nervous and respiratory systems."
    It's very odd that a worker would spray this product since it really can't be sprayed. If worker did apply it, I wonder what happened medically to that person.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

255,240 posts in 40,867 topics over 124 months by 17,884 of 18,271 members. Latest: DDScared97, Chelsearae0315, nervousbugdown