(9 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 26 2014 15:28:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am working on a new public education project and wanted to do something along the lines of:

What is the information would wished you had known before you actually encountered bedbugs?

The idea being if you could send yourself a short message in a bottle back in time what would it be?

Would you share words of wisdom, encouragement or something else.

Once I have collected some input and the project is created I will of course show people what we have done with it.

Thanks for any and all input.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 26 2014 16:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Without a doubt my message would read: "Hey dummy, they only need to mate ONE TIME to produce several clutches of eggs over time, so don't dump the contents of that pill bottle into your hand without carefully looking first."

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. TheApplause

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 26 2014 16:26:28
    #

Login to Send PM

1) Inspecting your hotel room goes a looong way (actually any bedroom/couch/etc you spend a night at) . They can be in ANY hotel room, so you really need to check. The news media articles out there talking about hotel rooms should be taken seriously...it can happen to YOU. First time I encountered BBs in real life (other than a K9 training vial) was when I inspected a hotel room. And I did NOT bring them home due to this diligence.

2) Monitors are inexpensive, easy, and make life so much less of a hassle. Invest in one or more for your sanity (and avoiding future expense). Check it regularly per the instructions and make sure to replace it as appropriate.

3) Never ASSUME when it comes to BBs. This often sends you down a dangerous path.

4. proactv

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 10:31:08
    #

Login to Send PM

My bottle would warn that when traveling, looking for bugs in the folds of a mattress at the head of a bed is not enough. I'd send clear info on what to look for besides bugs, where else to look, what forms the bugs can take, and - most important - what to take along (zip locks, bags) and standard precautions to take during the stay and when leaving and entering a new site or home EVERY time whether you see bugs or not. By chance, I saw one bed bug under my pillow & was forewarned. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't know I'd break out covered in literally a hundred bites until 5 days later, after visiting a friend, then driving home & unpacking normally.

Also, the panic of possibly having bugs follow me home inspired a crazed need for action & an internet search of a huge number of available options to use/buy. I'd tell myself that less can be more in an initial infestation, before I bought things I later didn't use, or used chemicals in a way that could be more harmful than bugs, or made the situation worse. I'd include a list of how to avoid dispersing bugs & keep an initial infestation small & quickly observable.

And I'd let myself know about the ability to access experts on the forum.

Thanks for asking & everything else you do to educate!

5. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 11:02:07
    #

Login to Send PM

In addition to what others have said, mine would read:

"If you find out you have bedbugs, STOP. Don't do ANYTHING. First go to bedbugger.com and educate yourself. Read the FAQs. Read them again. Arm yourself with knowledge."

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 11:16:39
    #

Login to Send PM

• Don't throw your things away. It won't solve the problem but also isn't necessary to solve it.
    • Don't listen to people who tell you you can never get rid of bed bugs (they may well have another problem and an incorrect diagnosis).
    • Bed bugs are not a magical, mythical beast. They are small (yet visible) insects and someone needs to find them all and kill them all.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 12:05:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 44 minutes ago  » 

8. Bed bugs are not a magical, mythical beast. They are small (yet visible) insects and someone needs to find them all and kill them all.
  9. Exactly what Nobugs said!!! So many of us (MYSELF INCLUDED!!!) absolutely freak over bed bugs!

Bed bugs are bugs! Find them, kill them!

People get bed bugs, people get rid of bed bugs!

Find them and kill them!!

and HIRE A PROFESSIONAL if you can!!

10. TheApplause

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 17:32:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 6 hours ago  » 

• Don't throw your things away. It won't solve the problem but also isn't necessary to solve it.

I second this. Don't throw things away! They can be treated if need be, but don't give up personal mementos, heirlooms, etc out of fear/anxiety.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 28 2014 7:30:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, all input appreciated and its starting to show patterns along the lines we thought.

Please keep the comments coming, its a somewhat large and unique project but the potential for good is vast.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,464 posts in 44,760 topics over 136 months by 19,640 of 20,340 members. Latest: Hellobabies, Njpleasehelp, WaterBedBugs