Marks on Pillow

(15 posts)
  1. SemperPruritus

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 12:30:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I found these marks on my pillows and I'm looking for an explanation but not having much luck, I'm wondering if they can be indicative of anything. For months we've been having strange bites show up in triangle patterns or line, with a frequency of one to two weeks. Once a month I will go over every inch of the beds (wood frames, no box springs) with a flashlight and have found nothing. Passive monitors on the beds are clean. I was starting to become pretty comfortable that the strange bites were of some random origin, though when I found these on the pillow last night it made me pretty anxious that I'm missing something. Just hoping that an expert might be able tell me if this is a cause for concern.

Thanks!

link 1 - http://imgur.com/qf4ZM
    link 2 - http://imgur.com/9oDaW

Higher-res available by clicking on images

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 12:41:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They are fresh blood and as much not indicative of bedbugs.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. SemperPruritus

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 12:57:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response, David. I am curious if, for science, you could elaborate on the signs that one might expect to see on sheets. Is fecal the only indicator? I guess I was under the impression that one might see fresh blood as a result of the puncture wound from an ectoparasite, or perhaps blood could be smeared as the prey moves during feeding?

I think this photo by Lou Sorkin which is included on FAQ pages of this site is what has given me (and I'm sure some others) the impression that fresh blood smears on the pillow may be an indicator of BB activity. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to hear you do not think it is, but what do you think one should interpret from the image?

Thanks again for your time.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 13:26:59
    #

Login to Send PM

OK.

Fresh blood spots on sheets = something needs investigating

Faecal traces on sheets = bedbugs

Yes fresh blood could in some cases be linked to bedbugs but it is not confirmatory. The only confirming signs of bedbugs are:

• Live samples - see pics in FAQ's
    • Cast skins - see pics in FAQ's
    • Faecal traces - see pics in FAQ's
    • Ureaic traces - included just to be 105% technically accurate but really only confirm-able by BB super stars of which there are not many around - normal folk need not worry about them

The issue with focusing on fresh blood is that it could be other things, usually turns out to be other things and by incorrectly associating them with confirming bedbugs it spreads anxiety which this site is not about.

It is better to keep an open mind when you see fresh blood and thus seek confirming signs rather than arguing the point.

David

5. SemperPruritus

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 14:02:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I apologize if it appears if I'm arguing the point. I really do accept what you are saying and I appreciate your responses, but I was just confused about the correlation of blood marks on the bed that I had seen mentioned in the FAQ's and just seeking to understand the connection out of curiosity.

6. tearsinmyears

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 17:55:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm glad you asked this question, Semper, and that David gave that detailed response. I've been wondering this very thing myself. For weeks, we've been seeing blood smears and spots on sheets and on my night shirt. They always correspond with new bites (on me). My husband doesn't seem to get bitten. Yet, we can't find fecal stains or cast skins. The PCO hasn't seen a bedbug yet, but we found one early on with my first bites. Unfortunately I killed it, and he didn't see it. (I didn't know to save it at the time.) We're convinced we have bedbugs, but the PCO is not. And I can see his point now that I've seen the professionals on here say what you need to see to confirm bedbugs. But we're between a rock and hard place, because he's beginning to treat me now like a kook.

David, your response makes perfect sense to me now. Blood smears may have something to do with bedbugs, but they are not concrete evidence of bedbugs. In a court of law, it might be circumstantial evidence. If we hadn't seen that bedbug, and my daughter hadn't been bitten at the motel nine days earlier, I might question it too. My theory is that the few adult bugs we brought home were killed in the initial spray, almost 4 weeks after motel stay. Later bites are most likely from hatching eggs, which are still arriving. They are hiding deep inside some crack or crevice, I don't know. But after six weeks of treatment, I feel that this should have stopped by now. Am I wrong? Or am I a kook? I just wish my husband was the bitten kook. I think there's more respect for men among the extermination community? Am I being too sensitive?

Since I'm not convinced my PCO has done an extensive search for evidence, I'm wondering is there something more we could do to search. Would we see more if we took the bolts off of the headboard or if we took the quarter round from the baseboard? I'd just like to get to the bottom of it.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 18:33:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi tearsinmyears,

Can I ask if you found any faecal along with the rogue bug.

I am following up on my theory that some lone bedbugs are in fact bat and bird bugs which is why they are found with few if no other signs. It's one of the reasons why keeping samples for up close inspection is such an essential part of the treatment process.

One to think about if your not 150% certain of the source it's worth considering.

David

8. tearsinmyears

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 18:50:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

No, I didn't find any fecal. In fact, the bug we found was on the living room floor in the middle of the day. It appeared to fall from a bag that we'd brought in from the trunk of our car. I assumed at the time that this bug had been in the trunk for the past nine days after our trip. So in answer to your question, no fecal traces.

As far as batbugs, would you have to have bats? We've never seen any here.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 18:58:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I don't see many bat bug cases but its more of a case of having had bats and not having them at present. The bugs then seek alternative food which usually means the homes occupants although ingress is more common on upper floors.

More likely to have been exposure when traveling if you used anything other than your own car and found it in the lounge.

David

10. tearsinmyears

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 19:12:08
    #

Login to Send PM

We haven't ever had bats here. I'm still puzzled about not finding fecal. though. Is it possible that they would leave their droppings only in their hiding places? Or is it most likely that we'd see them in the open as you do in pictures? Also, do nymphs leave the same fecal stains, or are they tinier and more difficult to see?

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 19:29:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You can't 100% apply mathematical rules to a biological system apart from a few constants.

1 If bedbugs feed they will defecate, all life stages but nymphs leave smaller traces.
    2 They usually defecate close to harbourage ( I actually have granted patents on this).

If you have 1 bedbug and no faecal it's likely to have either just arrived or not fed yet.

Close examination of the sample would confirm when / if it had fed as well as sex and age. Only an adult female that had mated in the last 30 days could lay eggs so statistically you would have to have poor odds to get egg laying and it's only likely after a feed.

Again what were your exact travels in the day or so before arriving home.

David

12. tearsinmyears

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 19:41:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Well, we went for a two-day visit at the end of June. We stayed at a motel for one night. One daughter and I shared a double bed and the other daughter had the second bed. The daughter in my bed woke up with three bites, but didn't say anything at the time. We dropped her off at her house before coming home. I didn't suspect anything, so I'm sure I threw the bag on my bed to unpack the few things we had. Eight days later, we went out in the same car and put packages in the trunk where we'd stored our bags during our trip. Unloading the packages in the house is when we found the one bug. The following morning, I had three bites on my neck, and the daughter who lives here said she'd actually seen bites on my back the day before while we were shopping. I then called my other daughter to ask her if she had anything, and she said no, but that she had woken with bites in the motel. She actually had to see a doctor two days later, one was so bad. We called the exterminator who examined the bed but couldn't find anything. He suggested we wait and get encasements, which is what we did. We seemed clean for a couple of weeks, and I felt pretty confident. But then all of a sudden, bites again, and always on the back of my neck and middle of my back. Lots of blood stains, no fecal.

13. tearsinmyears

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 19:49:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, I may have misunderstood your question. Were you asking where else had we been besides the motel? After leaving the motel, we were at an outdoor venue most of the morning, and then a restaurant before driving home.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 4:29:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi tearsinmyears,

In your case I would suggest that you check with the hotels and ask them to screen the rooms to either rule in or out that source. If clear it may have been the restaurant but the reality is that you might not find the source.

Restaurants are not common infested locations and avoidance of all sources can be hard to achieve which is why the second battle front is detection.

Hope that gives some pointers.

David

15. tearsinmyears

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 18:04:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

We did email the motel, but did not get a response. I wasn't surprised really. That would have helped somewhat in convincing the company we're with. I guess we'll just carry on as we've been doing. Our company is now only willing to treat every 30 days over the next few months. They claim that bugs lie dormant and will continue to show up and that this approach works best. Thanks for your suggestions. I've just downloaded the ebook.

tearsinmyears

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.