lysol

(15 posts)
  1. pissdinastoria

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 11:41:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I mentioned to you all that I'm moving soon, and I was talking to the PCO about it. He said that I could spray everything with lysol and it would kill them. I haven't seen any live bugs lately...so if someone has any, can we get another experiment going? Or does anybody already have experience with lysol?

2. coqibug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 11:49:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think I've heard that lysol kills them. I think some people may spray a bug they see with stuff to the point that it kills them because the are saturated in liquid and it suffocates them.
    Just an idea.
    Others on here with much more experience than I.

3. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 12:14:03
    #

Login to Send PM

coqibug: could be that, and too, the near instant cooling down from the aerosol process (sort of like the cooling of 91% r alcohol, but perhaps not the drying effects. I had read, in one article only, where Lysol was ever mentioned. Perhaps as a contact kill or stun, it would prove … “fairly useful.”

I'd rather see that then people spraying ammonia and bleach--which, I know are old wives tales AND VERY STUPID AND DANGEROUS.

(and crazy … why r people so crazy? Good question you posed in another thread really made me laugh. pissed)

THE ARTICLE I READ, REFERRED TO OLD WOMEN IN NEW ENGLAND USING Plain SOAPS AND LYSOL ...

BUT if they were or were not using it very EFFECTIVELY?
    DONNO article didn’t say … it hinted at some possible success.
    Short order when I move Lysol will be in my arsnal of bed bug preventatives, as in spray the heck out of some areas of the new place with it—before I even move in.
    I’ll also lay down Fresh water DE strategically, after lysol is 100% dry ... and jaunt around the room with that carefully as in goggles, dust masks. et al.

Plain hot water knocks them out sometimes too for some amount of time.
    Defnately not a permanent fix, unless --your spraying this crappolla and spraying hot water every 5 minutes for life.
    Not feasable as solo treatment.

What are some of your other ideas or options for some more preventative pissed? (besides mailing any findings) ... lol

4. pissdinastoria

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 13:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

i promise i won't make any mailings! but a girl can dream, can't she??

1. i'm not taking any furniture with me. i'm actually going to home depot right now for an electric saw, heavy duty trash bags, and red spray paint so that i can destroy and mark it all.

2. my clothes are going to be sent to the laundromat the day before i move, and i will pick them up and keep it moving. i'll also give them instructions to dry everything for at least an hour.

3. Is there somewhere locally that I can buy kleen free and DE? I don't want to treat this apt, but I do want to lay it down in the new place. I also want to spray everything that can't be washed (electronics, tennis racket, shoes...) I have a lot of books, paintings, and some videotapes that I don't want to get rid of (old school cartoons...like lil lulu, some early caspers and others that I know I couldn't find again). So, I'm going to put them in heavy duty trash bags and then place them in SMOOTH (thanks oli! R.I.P) plastic bins with DE and carpet tape. Tape the bins shut and make sure to spray the outside of them before they go in the car.

My biggest worry is my two guinea pigs. They'll get a thorough wash and a new cage.

I also have a million stuffed animals that I've had my whole life. They've actually been stored in plastic bags since December, before I ever saw any BBs. I think I'm gonna have to let them go...unless you fine people know any way that I can keep them? I can't decide if I should spend the money to clean them or spend the money on the therapy that I'm going to need after all of this.

5. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 15:02:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Entomologist Dini Miller discussed Lysol in this interview.

I personally don't trust a PCO who says kill 'em with Lysol.

Could you not tumble-dry the stuffed animals, or will they be damaged? If they mean so much to you, don't throw them out, you WILL regret it. Keep them in plastic bags if you have to.

6. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 15:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks pissed, (I love saing your name). I'd spray the bins with 91% r alcohol or klean-free purchased off a link here or anywyere (on the internet, only, is where and how it is sold. As far as I know--it is not sold in stores. I too would not trust lysol so much as to spray it on the bins going out (if that's what you meant to spray them with). I'd get the klean free or 1/2 a bottle of r alcohol per every three bins or so. Spray it on with a ceap sprayer.

Good luck with all of this--and yes, can't you heat the toys? A black plastic bag in soun for a few weeks, or a laundromat dryer--preheated on high for 20 minutes, then maybe turned down so they don't get too warped?

7. pissdinastoria

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 15:44:57
    #

Login to Send PM

That article actually says the lysol could be used as a contact killer because of the alcohol and pressure(?)...which is what my PCO meant.

8. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 15:51:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure if your asking me if the article I mentioned above said it would kill because of alcohol and pressure--if so ... no it did not say anything like that.

I'm saying one reason MAYBE becase of the quick temerature change when it hits the bug--could be other reasons and it could bed BUNK.
    The article I saw gave no reasoning that was scientific.
    "It hinted, only i tone of the writing, that it had at least some success, otherwise why wold they still be doing it sort of a thing.

Works some ... may be only a tad.
    I'll put money on it numbs them so you can step on them. i woudl not be surprized if it did not kill at least a couple out of every hundred ....
    Who knows ...
    Other people please catch some bugs experiment and get back to us on the results.
    What does spraying lysol actually do to a bed bug?
    how much how long to spray .... how long did it thake, to numb, kill, do nothing, do something ....
    please--I'm an old man .... I've plum run out of bugs and it is a bit too much for me to do much more experimenting here.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 18:02:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Pissed,
    A contact killer is not going to get rid of bed bugs.
    It will only get rid of bed bugs you can look in the eye--which is likely a small percentage. They're designed and wired to hide well.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. pissdinastoria

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 21:46:04
    #

Login to Send PM

ohhh big misunderstanding! lol

willow, i was talking about the article when i was talking about the alcohol and pressure.

i wasn't planning on only using lysol. i do pay some attention here!

i've had what i call 2.5 PCO treatments. .5 because the first PCO only treated my bed and sofa. i haven't seen any bugs or had any bites since march. ::knocks on wood:: i just want to make sure that i'm using everything i possibly can to keep it that way, and if lysol really helps, i'll add it to my arsenal...but it doesn't seem that way.

i don't have a car, so i don't know how i would leave anything in the sun, and it would cost too much to rent a car for a month (right?). i keep thinking of buying a bunch of space heaters and just piling everything up in the middle of my apt and turning those suckers on...but i fear that might not be the safest or most effective bet.

le sigh.

11. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2007 12:08:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I know now --we have to get a bit anal in our posts here, as so many just log on and do not post--but they take ideas and then they just run with them. All too often, too many go running in the wrong direction: that's all people meant.

We can tell how intelligent you are. It goes with the territory--all people in Queens especially the "Astoria’s" are of marked intelligence lol.

Thanks for the clarifications ... but pissed... look at some of the posts from some of the new bites on here today. You will see, easily, why we so often wind up repeating and getting all so anal about the advice, we do give.
    I'll have to read nomos linked article above then ...

post script:

Once again, THANK YOU NOMO!
    I HOPE EVERYONE READS THAT LINK!
    Don't mean to make you blush nomo, but most of the favorites list I have for bed bugs, as of this link--now comes from you!

12. pissdinastoria

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2007 14:03:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Just got Steri-Fab and Drione Dust from domyownpestcontrol.

now i destroy furniture.

do you all realize how much anger and stress i'm about to release??

so excited!

13. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2007 14:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

the bed bug, hax saw murderer from Queens you go girl! lol

Just don't let any bugs "fly" across the room with such vigoruous chopping.
    And no to all else ... Bed bugs don't have wings so they don't acutally fly.
    They creep and they crawl and they can even fall onto a bed from a ceiling... occasionally ...
    But they do not fly and thank God for that!

14. ahmeria

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 22:26:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I'm not sure if I am too late for this advice, but, the first appartment I owned was infested and I found that Raid worked wonders on killing them, now I am in a house and I bought a new bed from the same people I got the other one from (thinking it was the apartment that was infested due to neighbors telling me they had the same problems for about 6 months before I moved in there) and I just found out that it was the company I bought my bed from. I found a bunch of them on my new leather coat -eggs and all- and I sprayed it with some Rid lice killer and that killed the bugs two.

My deducing that the BBs were from the new bed, I dont own ANYTHING from that apartment. I left every thing there and just bought new stuff, clothes, toys, movies, even a new car due to the infestation. lol talk about being thurough.

15. bitbybugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 2 2010 13:30:47
    #

Login to Send PM

- 3 years ago  » 
    Entomologist Dini Miller discussed Lysol in this interview.
    I personally don't trust a PCO who says kill 'em with Lysol.
    Could you not tumble-dry the stuffed animals, or will they be damaged? If they mean so much to you, don't throw them out, you WILL regret it. Keep them in plastic bags if you have to.

i washed mine and dried them they still look the same as before

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,746 posts in 31,259 topics over 95 months by 13,522 of 15,355 members. Latest: slee, Zenchess, Kristy