Tags:

1. kms

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jan 14 2009 2:30:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

I've got what I think is a minor bedbug infestation that I must have brought with me back from a motel two weeks ago. I've read through a lot of these posts and it has been very helpful. I stayed at the motel on the night of Dec 27th. I noticed the bites around 4pm the following day...after I had already gotten home and unpacked. I have gotten around 5 bites since then on two separate nights (the bites seem to become obvious quickly now, whereas the initial bites took all day to appear). I've looked for evidence of bugs but haven't found anything conclusive other than the new bites. There was a little spot of blood on my sheets, but it is possible I was itching my legs and it could have been from a previous bite I itched too hard.

What I take from my experience so far is that I probably do have bedbugs and there probably aren't that many of them yet since its only been two weeks since I brought them home. Since I don't have any proof of them yet, I haven't called my landlord. But I've been taking a few steps: I ordered a mattress & box springs encasement, I put all of my unnecessary clothes in the dryer on high and then put them in bags, and I did a bunch of vacuuming. I've been checking for bugs when I wake up at night, but nothing so far. My guess is there are probably only one or two (maybe more if they've bred) that get hungry every 5-10 days and bite me once or twice.

Here's what I want to know:

If I isolate my bed, put it in an encasement and then ensure that any bedbugs that want to climb up the legs of my bed frame get stuck in a glue trap, can I essentially just act as bait every night till all of the bugs in my room eventually get hungry, attempt to get me in the night and get stuck in the glue?

This approach is based on these assumptions: 1) a hungry bedbug in my room will attempt to bite me and won't head off to another room or something, 2) bedbugs are not smart enough to know to not walk across the glue, 3) they will first try the easiest route to me (the bed frame legs) rather than climbing the walls, and 4) the glue will catch all the bedbugs.

The real problem would be if the glue traps around the bed frame legs discouraged the bugs from trying to get to me. Then they could just hang out for 18 months (or however long they go without food) or try to get into a neighboring room. Is there any reason to suspect the bed bugs would avoid crossing the glue? I saw a post on the forum where someone had stuck the glue traps under the bed frame legs and that seemed to get their problem under control.

I'm interested in your impressions of this plan & general advice about how to approach this. I'm trying to be logical and calm about the whole thing, but dang it is sure gross!!!!!!!

Thanks!
    kms

2. Marixpress

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jan 14 2009 12:31:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds good to me but I'd have at least one treatment by a professional done too

3. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 15:05:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So there is a synthetic lure available for bed bugs which research done by Rutgers University helped develop it (they borrowed a lot from prior researchers) - their tests show that the lure increases catches in traps by 2 to 3 times more often.

They found that bed bugs, aside from being attracted to our CO2 and heat, they also sense us by our body odors, like sweat and breath.

So, rather than purchasing the synthetic lure, I'm going to try the 'real-deal', by exercising profusely outside while not wearing deodorant (don't want to have them swarming toward me inside my home), and then rub small pieces of black cotton fabric under my arms, as well as drip some of my saliva on to the cotton. Then, I will place that into my CO2 traps. It seems logical that this will a. work better than the synthetic lures, because bed bugs do find me very sweet to snack on, b. save me some money, and c. build more tone and muscle.

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 15:16:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am increasingly thinking you need to stop and go back to basics. There is a pattern that when people start frantically posting jumping from one idea to another they often don't actually have bedbugs.

As such I would suggest you spend a little less time on research sites and more time looking for:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

If you have bedbugs they will be present.

Hope that gets you to stop and get on the right path.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 15:19:44
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso - 12 minutes ago  » 
    So there is a synthetic lure available for bed bugs which research done by Rutgers University helped develop it (they borrowed a lot from prior researchers) - their tests show that the lure increases catches in traps by 2 to 3 times more often.
    They found that bed bugs, aside from being attracted to our CO2 and heat, they also sense us by our body odors, like sweat and breath.
    So, rather than purchasing the synthetic lure, I'm going to try the 'real-deal', by exercising profusely outside while not wearing deodorant (don't want to have them swarming toward me inside my home), and then rub small pieces of black cotton fabric under my arms, as well as drip some of my saliva on to the cotton. Then, I will place that into my CO2 traps. It seems logical that this will a. work better than the synthetic lures, because bed bugs do find me very sweet to snack on, b. save me some money, and c. build more tone and muscle.

Holy shit dude! 80+ posts in 2 - 2 1/2 days?! . . . Please stop "bumping" threads that are five years old and older!

When was the last time you trapped, caught, or saw a live bed bug in your home??

(Sorry, you've had so many posts I can't read them all to find out your info!)

6. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 15:22:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Why should I stop bumping old threads, AbsolutelyFreaking? It is logical to make a new comment in an existing post on a topic than to create a whole new post on a topic that already has a post. I believe nobugsonme prefers this site to have a clean rather than cluttered sense of organization... Nobugsonme can correct if I'm mistaken, but I've seen comments about not starting a new post on an already covered topic, but instead, to comment where's it's already been covered.

As for many posts in a short amount of time - I'm an INTJ, that's what we do.

I like your name, and feel about the same... as much as Data in Star Trek can feel, anyway.

beatingbedbugs.wordpress.com

"The Mastermind (INTJ) is very focused as well, but more on an internal vision. They are good at solving problems and like to work on tough intellectual puzzles. They are often led into technical positions such as scientific researcher, design engineer, environmental planner. The developing field of genetics benefits from their intensity as does the field of medicine. In education they are most often found at the college and university level. In the professions, they may be a lawyer, a business analyst, or strategic planner. Some have a strong artistic/creative bent and may become an artist, inventor, or designer. Whatever they do, they do it with intensity. Says Kim, "I am constantly teaching myself something new in order to solve the problems that I encounter. My husband leaves me alone when he sees that I am caught in what he calls my "Thinking Time." I'm unwinding knots even in my sleep."

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 15:29:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi trying,

» 
    When was the last time you trapped, caught, or saw a live bed bug in your home??

???

. . . . the bumping of old posts pushes other peoples' posts that are seeking help down the list which then may not be seen. Yes, Nobugs can speak for herself and what she prefers. . . but if you wanted to be succinct. . . maybe you could have combined some of your 80+ posts/questions in a couple of posts/threads . . . instead of monopolizing the entire forum. . . . just a thought!

8. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 15:35:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, but no, AbsolutelyFreaking. Many of my posts have been precisely to help others by responding to their questions based upon my own experiences, like this forum is meant for.

The posts I've bumped are on many various topics, ranging from pheromones, dusts, sprays, isolating beds, lures, repellents, diet, and new technologies. I have not been redundant.

9. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 15:56:05
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso -  » 
    I have not been redundant.

I have never said or implied that you have been redundant . . .

However. . . if I had the time to go back and read all of your posts, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case based on the few I have read. (Maybe yes . . . maybe no . . . but I don't have the time to research it.)

I have noticed, however, that Nobugs has asked you two or three times what visual evidence you have. . .

As here:

Nobugsonme - 4 hours ago  » 
    . . . .Your posts suggest you have a skin reaction and many bed bug inspections and many treatments by 3 PCOs and moving with precautions have failed to solve it.
    I am asking what visual evidence you've seen and how long your skin reactions have been going on?

. . . and here

Nobugsonme - 1 hour ago <a
    href="http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/reduction-successes-and-failures#post-210386"> » 

tryingalso,
    Your posts suggest that you may not have seen any visual evidence of bed bugs.
    I hope you will respond to my questions about this here.

. . . and you choose not to respond to her (or me above)?

Strange.

tryingalso - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Many of my posts have been precisely to help others by responding to their questions based upon my own experiences, like this forum is meant for.

. . . Have you resolved your bed bugs issues??

I did read where you have tried several (can't remember if you said two or three) companies and they didn't resolve your bed bug issues. Call John Furman's company there is NY . . .Boot-A-Pest. If you want to resolve you bed bug problems, he's your man!

10. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 16:00:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Right, AbsolutelyFreaking - I didn't respond because I had already detailed the evidence in the post - dogs and bites. I try not to be redundant. Thanks for the tip about the exterminator, in the event I'll need one. Two I've tried in the past failed, one of which did so either because of laziness, and/or incompetence and/or unethical business practices. Others I've spoken with have had similar experiences, so hiring an exterminator seems as tricky a process as exterminating bed bugs. Go figure.

11. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 16:09:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and going forward AbsolutelyFreaking, if you have an issue with my methods of posting and commenting, feel free to PM me about it. Now this post has gotten way off-topic into communication methods, which defeats the very purpose you yourself requested.

It looks like this, and is quite amusingly funny. Thanks for the laughs. =D

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugin

12. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 16:19:45
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso -  » 

So is that your website and you're just trying to generate traffic for it?

13. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 16:33:53
    #

Login to Send PM

It's my site, yes, and it's more succinct and organized than what I can post on this site, given the formatting of this site. It's for anyone who wants to follow efforts which I've found helpful without being bogged down with more than a couple of posts I might make here, of which, I've only made a few on this site. The wordpress format is more organized and orderly. Again though, you're off-topic. Zzzz.

14. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 16:35:31
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso - 1 minute ago  » 
    It's my site, yes, and it's more succinct and organized than what I can post on this site, given the formatting of this site. It's for anyone who wants to follow efforts which I've found helpful without being bogged down with more than a couple of posts I might make here, of which, I've only made a few on this site. The wordpress format is more organized and orderly. Again though, you're off-topic. Zzzz.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

15. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 16:35:58
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso -  » 
    Right, AbsolutelyFreaking - I didn't respond because I had already detailed the evidence in the post - dogs and bites.

tryingalso - 41 minutes ago  » 
    Them doggies, them bites.

Well if this is the post/response you are referring to . . . it was quite a while after Nobugs asked you as she had to ask you several times (and many, many posts later) . . . just say'n.

tryingalso -  » 
    Oh, and going forward AbsolutelyFreaking, if you have an issue with my methods of posting and commenting, feel free to PM me about it.

To borrow a line from you tryingalso . . . if you don't mind of course . . .

tryingalso -  » 
    Thanks, but no,

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 17:06:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It may be more organized and orderly but sadly it's far less accurate than what is already here.

Dogs and bites does not equal proof of bedbugs, to get things back on track you need to show live samples, cast skins or faecal traces.

David

17. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 18:23:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so glad to hear that, beg-bugscouk. Perhaps it's time to chalk it up to a case of 'head bugs', and totally relax... lol. And all this hoopla about the dogs being 95% or more accurate, and way more accurate than a human in finding them, can be 'put to bed'.

http://www.bedbugcentral.com/bed-bug-dogs

Per the advice there, using multiple dogs and multiple handlers overcomes false-positives and failure to detect. In this case, that's what was done. All freeze treatments after dog alerted on several different occasions did result in no bites for 5 days, and then bites started again, indicating the treatments failed to kill all the eggs.

18. bedbugtakeover

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 18:23:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Is this guy for real ?

19. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 18:26:54
    #

Login to Send PM

How many people has this site helped to fully exterminate their bed bugs, in the many years of its existence? Sadly, I don't see many successes at all documented here, through the years.... Maybe I missed them? Or maybe when a person succeeds after so much misery, they can't conceive to drop back by for a moment to help others by stating what finally worked...

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 18:31:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I subscribe less of the concept of "head bugs" than people in te US, I look for and find causes to problems.

I also select worthy sources to quote not the NJ bedbug mafia.

Now if you wish to engage in a civil tongue we can help you. If you can't please promote your blog elsewhere.

David

21. bedbugtakeover

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 18:41:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Since you are clearly stating that this site wont help resolve your bedbug problem then why don't you beat it. Like AbsolutelyFreaking said, all you are doing is clogging up the forum with your nonsense. There are real people that have real bedbugs, real problems and need real advice. Like David said, go promote your blog some where else. You don't have bedbugs and you don't know what you are talking about. You have way too much time on your hands.

22. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 18:47:43
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugtakeover -  » 
    Since you are clearly stating that this site wont help resolve your bedbug problem then why don't you beat it. Like AbsolutelyFreaking said, all you are doing is clogging up the forum with your nonsense. There are real people that have real bedbugs, real problems and need real advice. Like David said, go promote your blog some where else. You don't have bedbugs and you don't know what you are talking about. You have way too much time on your hands.

Well that was certainly succinct and to the point bedbugtakeover!!

23. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 18:49:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Sure, bed-bugscouk, I'm all for civility. Multiple dogs from multiple handlers (3 different companies) alerting positive plus bites is enough for me, and that is a permissible method for detection here in the USA. I can appreciate though where you prefer even more evidence than that.

24. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 18:53:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Lol bedbugtakeover and AbsolutelyFreaking. I get you're starting offensively, and putting someone on the defense who then gets defensive, getting further offensive. No point to it, really. Just curious as to the success-rate of this site. That's a feasible inquiry from a newbie to the site. It'd be comforting to be shown where successes due to this site occurred. And if there are very few, or no successes from this site, to reassess how the number of successes in exterminating bed bugs could occur from this site, as is its mission.

25. bedbugtakeover

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 19:04:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Craziness. This is the first forum I have ever belonged to. I think the majority of people here are good people with good intentions. There is a lot of help dished out on a daily basis. For a new member or someone browsing this site, they would be totally confused by all the posts and could potentially follow really bad instructions. Its so bizarre how people just join to cause problems and follow their own agendas. It is almost like a game to some. AbsolutelyFreaking, I am for the most part a pretty straight forward person.

26. bedbugtakeover

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 19:12:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not going to debate with you. I feel like I am arguing with my teenage daughter. You don't even make sense.

27. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 19:14:31
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso -  » 
    Just curious as to the success-rate of this site. That's a feasible inquiry from a newbie to the site. It'd be comforting to be shown where successes due to this site occurred.

And now to borrow a line from DC (apparently today is my day to borrow lines) . . .

bed-bugscouk -  » 
    Since you asked so nicely:

This is where I am aware the success stories for the site are . . . if this is not the correct place, perhaps Nobugs can point you in the right direction:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/forum/success-stories

28. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 19:15:24
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking - 3 hours ago  » 

tryingalso -  » 
    I have not been redundant.

I have never said or implied that you have been redundant . . .
    However. . . if I had the time to go back and read all of your posts, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case based on the few I have read. (Maybe yes . . . maybe no . . . but I don't have the time to research it.)
    I have noticed, however, that Nobugs has asked you two or three times what visual evidence you have. . .
    As here:

Nobugsonme - 4 hours ago  » 
    . . . .Your posts suggest you have a skin reaction and many bed bug inspections and many treatments by 3 PCOs and moving with precautions have failed to solve it.
    I am asking what visual evidence you've seen and how long your skin reactions have been going on?

. . . and here

Nobugsonme - 1 hour ago <a
    href="http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/reduction-successes-and-failures#post-210386"> » 

tryingalso,
    Your posts suggest that you may not have seen any visual evidence of bed bugs.
    I hope you will respond to my questions about this here.

. . . and you choose not to respond to her (or me above)?
    Strange.

tryingalso - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Many of my posts have been precisely to help others by responding to their questions based upon my own experiences, like this forum is meant for.

. . . Have you resolved your bed bugs issues??
    I did read where you have tried several (can't remember if you said two or three) companies and they didn't resolve your bed bug issues. Call John Furman's company there is NY . . .Boot-A-Pest. If you want to resolve you bed bug problems, he's your man!

"Call John Furman's company there is NY . . .Boot-A-Pest. If you want to resolve you bed bug problems, he's your man!"

God NO!!!!! PLEASE!

29. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 19:18:23
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen -  » 

AbsolutelyFreaking - 3 hours ago  » 
    Call John Furman's company there is NY . . .Boot-A-Pest. If you want to resolve you bed bug problems, he's your man!

God NO!!!!! PLEASE!

LMAO!!!! I was wondering if you would read that . . . . and have something to say about it!!!

You did NOT disappoint me!!!!

30. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 19:33:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I'm done with silly squabbles, and will just not respond at all, or PM, when being put on the defensive over facts. The facts are that an acceptable method for detecting bed bugs is via using multiple bed bug sniffing dogs by multiple handlers.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=29&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CHcQFjAIOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Fpublication%2F23233404_Ability_of_bed_bug-detecting_canines_to_locate_live_bed_bugs_and_viable_bed_bug_eggs%2Flinks%2F09e41507da6aa3a857000000&ei=PkhhVLC-NeXHsQSDl4D4CQ&usg=AFQjCNFldK2lVzS_GYWrDrWVlBlN0-horA&sig2=YR_q_VXfFGCLp6ljyYp5OQ

While bed-bugscouk may feel that multiple dogs by multiple handlers (3 different companies, in this case, with all 3 having detected positively except for one time in which the one that tested positively the first few times failed to on the last time - hence multiple dogs by multiple handlers to overcome false-positives and failures to detect) alerting to bed bugs with the addition of bites as an indicator isn't enough, studies prove that it is an acceptable method. Heck, dogs are now detecting cancer better than modern technology. I'm done squabbling in this silly way - facts are facts, and people can uncover them themselves by turning to peer reviewed scientific studies with documented methods and findings.

31. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 19:43:46
    #

Login to Send PM

In any event, back to the posed suggestion and question:

So, rather than purchasing the synthetic lure, I'm going to try the 'real-deal', by exercising profusely outside while not wearing deodorant (don't want to have them swarming toward me inside my home), and then rub small pieces of black cotton fabric under my arms (for the body odors), and spit (for the breath odors) on to the cotton. Then, I will place that into the CO2 traps. It seems logical that this will a. work better than the synthetic lures, because the bed bugs know my scent better than the synthetic scent, and b. save me some money.

32. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 20:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Folks, the only way to stop this is to stop feeding the troll. Although I do love the witty retorts from all my faves.

33. bedbugtakeover

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 20:07:57
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL @ KQ

34. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 20:19:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Great to see you, buggyinsyracuse, since you're a senior member. It looks as though you may have manged to escape bb's by hiring a PCO. Do you know what they sprayed, dusted and did that worked that others can employ?

Or, do you figure it might just have been that you moved and managed not to take them home with you from the apartment?

I'm wondering if exterminating bb's is just a lost cause and better to end the misery by just moving... and that my inquiries about lures, traps, etc is just exercise in futility?

35. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 3:37:25
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso - 11 hours ago  » 
    Right, AbsolutelyFreaking - I didn't respond because I had already detailed the evidence in the post - dogs and bites. I try not to be redundant. Thanks for the tip about the exterminator, in the event I'll need one. Two I've tried in the past failed, one of which did so either because of laziness, and/or incompetence and/or unethical business practices. Others I've spoken with have had similar experiences, so hiring an exterminator seems as tricky a process as exterminating bed bugs. Go figure.

trying,

I understood from your posts that you had seen no visual evidence. No bed bugs, no fecal stains, no bed bug eggs, no cast skins.

You have skin reactions and that is all. Yes, two out of three dogs alerted, but without any handlers presenting visual evidence.

You have somehow had at least three companies treat your home, one of them five times, and you took precautions and moved, all without eliminating your skin reactions.

This is what I understood from your posts, but I couldn't quite believe it. If accurate, from what experts tell us, it suggests you quite likely don't have bed bugs.

Dog alerts are not necessarily evidence that bugs are present. Our FAQs recommend you select a dog handler who visually verifies all alerts. It sounds like yours did not do this. I understand some experts use multiple dogs instead of visual verification, but the experts here seem to agree visual verification is best.

As entomologist Michael Potter likes to say, "show me the bugs!"

But the bottom line (no pun intended) is that bed bugs defecate every single time they feed. I am not sure how long this problem of suspected bites has been going on, but if you have bed bug bites consistently for a period of time, then you should have plenty of fecal stains present, if no other signs. Your posts suggest you don't see those and professionals who inspected did not find them.

If you do see them, you can post a photo of fecal stains for an expert to identify. If you don't have them, it suggests your skin reactions have another cause. There are lots of physical, environmental, medical, test, and other causes for skin reactions.

As for the discussion above about your posts, actually, you are out of line and I have already commented on this here.

If you want to avoid being banned from this website, please stop:

1. giving others suggestions regarding treatment,
    2. talking about how bedbug treatment doesn't work (unless you can prove you actually have had bed bugs),
    3. reviving threads which are old (for example, in this case, no one had posted to this thread for five years),
    4. responding incorrectly to requests for information or bug IDs,
    5. bombarding the forums with so very many posts.

Obviously, the last one is a judgment call, but if you stop giving treatment advice, and stop extrapolating from your own "experience" (which may not be bedbugs), and stop reviving old threads, it will go very long way towards reducing the number of posts.

Why does this matter? As I explained here, you're pushing other posts out of the "latest discussion" list. It makes it harder for others to get responses to their posts. You may not have understood that, but hopefully it's clear now.

Note also that many of the issues I've noted above are covered in the forum rules, a number of which you've broken:

Netiquette and community customs

Civility

Please do be civil to others. Attacking ideas is okay, attacking people is not. It should be obvious that calling others names is not permitted.

Giving Advice

Please do not give advice on anything you're not qualified to give advice about. This is tricky, in terms of rules, because to some degree, you have to regulate yourself.

Most consumers -- even those who have self-treated their homes -- should not be giving advice on which pesticides to buy and how to use them, for example, telling people to buy DE or how to apply DE. If we have a FAQ on it (like DE or steam), please direct people to those. If you don't agree with those FAQs or think something should be added, then please make a suggestion about that. Remember there are qualified experts here who may be willing to answer questions about pesticides and you can direct users to them.

Most consumers should not be identifying pest photos.

There may be exceptions. For example, I am not an expert but can ID shiny spider beetles and cockroaches from twenty paces, and can tell you if you probably have a bed bug. (Probably, because closely-related species like Swallow Bugs and Bat Bugs can't always easily be ruled out from photos.) I've even on occasion identified a bug as a closely-related species, but I deferred to our expert entomologists for the final ID. Some other long-time users are also good at identifying specific bugs, and some like spideyjg have much more encyclopedic knowledge than I do.

So if you're a consumer and you're absolutely sure about a bug ID, it's okay to respond, but in other cases, please leave bug IDs to expert professionals or more experienced consumers.

Remember that incorrectly suggesting something is or isn't a bed bug can put another forum user on an emotional roller coaster ride until the experts ride in and correct you, and think how you'd feel if you experienced that. Remember a consumer might not even stick around to get the conflicting ID, and then you just sent someone away wrongly thinking they had, or didn't have, bed bugs.

and

Responding to old discussion threads

When you read an old thread, consider carefully whether to reply. Doing so will "bump" the thread to current status. If you do this for a thread which is old, you are likely replying to a question asked by someone who may be long gone. (Clicking a user's profile tells you when they last logged in; looking at any post tells you when it was posted.) The other reason you might not want to reactivate old threads is that they will push "down" more recent threads in the list of current discussions.

Normally, I would discuss with such matters individually.

However, since your posts have become a topic of public discussion and concern, and since this thread was way beyond hijacked, I thought it made sense to respond here. I hope this clarifies matters.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  36. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 3:55:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, thanks nobugsonme. As for giving others suggestions about treatment - I am qualified to assess what's helping me reduce the number of bites I get. For example, immediately after I installed a fan next to the head of my bed and put it on when I sleep, the number of bites decreased - that makes it harder for bed bugs to track where my CO2 is coming from, and thus, harder to find me. While I don't have education about entomology from a school, experience is a great teacher as well.

Regarding reviving old posts - I've seen where you instructed to not make posts about a topic which is already covered, and to, instead, make a comment to a post that already covers a topic. While I could make a new post regarding something which is new to me, I followed your instruction to post it as comment in an existing topical post. Just because there is a post about a topic already in existence, hardly means that someone may not have something brand new worthy of being a thread in the more recent ones about that topic. And it's just more organized that way - if I look up "kidney bean leaves", it's easier to read one or two posts with many comments about that, as opposed to a dozen separate posts all about it.

37. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 4:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Ok, thanks nobugsonme. As for giving others suggestions about treatment - I am qualified to assess what's helping me reduce the number of bites I get.

Actually, the issue is that you're suggesting methods for reducing bed bug bites.

The problem is, what you've told us has raised serious questions as to whether your problem is even bed bugs. I explained this thoroughly above. If your problem is not caused by bed bugs, then how you're reducing your skin reactions is irrelevant to people who have bed bugs.

Regarding reviving old posts - I've seen where you instructed to not make posts about a topic which is already covered, and to, instead, make a comment to a post that already covers a topic. While I could make a new post regarding something which is new to me, I followed your instruction to post it as comment in an existing topical post. Just because there is a post about a topic already in existence, hardly means that someone may not have something brand new worthy of being a thread in the more recent ones about that topic. And it's just more organized that way - if I look up "kidney bean leaves", it's easier to read one or two posts with many comments about that, as opposed to a dozen separate posts all about it.

I'm sorry that you can't quite understand this yet, but please read David's response to you near the top of the thread. You need to stop looking for possible "solutions" for bed bugs, and first verify if bed bugs are actually causing your problem. Everything you've told us suggests they're not.

Consider for a moment that there may be people here who can increase your knowledge, and that maybe that's what you need in order to solve your problem. Please reread the first half of my post above, and consider it carefully.

38. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 4:12:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug sniffing dogs, visual confirmation of bug from owner of exterminating company, fecal stains, bites - this is the site for that. I'd have no impetus to be doing all this research and sharing it in an attempt to help if it weren't due to either myself having it, or someone close to me having it. As stated, I'm not an entomologist - despite that, I have experiences and gained knowledge which can help others too.

39. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 4:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Bed bug sniffing dogs, visual confirmation of bug from owner of exterminating company, fecal stains, bites - this is the site for that.

You previously mentioned having found a blood stain, but not fecal stains. You also did not mention a visual confirmation of the bed bug if I remember rightly.

Can you post a photo of a fecal stain for ID?

40. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 4:21:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the confusion, nobugsonme; I stand corrected, and meant to type fecal stain rather than blood stain. I don't keep electronics near where I sleep, as don't want to contaminate them, so won't be oggling the bed sheets for photos.

41. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 7:13:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

3 dogs and 3 companies does not equal bedbugs if all these dogs are trained with the same errors.

This is why visual confirmation is so essential because it cant be mistaken.

If nothing else this site is about "getting it right the first time".

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,669 posts in 44,817 topics over 137 months by 19,671 of 20,376 members. Latest: Tashagene, KH14, Buggedout123