Lucky lucky me

(4 posts)
  1. Deytrollin

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 0:55:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, if any of you remember me from a few months ago. I remember you guys kind of sent me off with a "you probably don't have bed bugs" response. Well I kind of did have them.

So I moved. I kept some stuff bagged, but many bags ripped in transit. I'm still getting these bruises that come and go once in a while.

I finally hired a handler with two bed bug sniffing dogs, after I moved, because I wasn't allowed to do it at the old place. They alerted on a sealed suitcase, and nowhere else. Lucky me that suitcase was never opened and that it never ripped. All I had to do was throw it in the woods so no one would pick it up and I think I avoided reinfesting myself. Maybe.

The dogs that came were This dog and this dog. They both look certified. Does anyone know how accurate they are?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 1:42:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello .... Kind of pregnant and pregnant are two very different things.

A dog alerting to something without visual confirmation means nothing more then further detective work is warranted. A "hit" alone is not proof you have bed bugs. Be it one dog or five. Fact is the second dog will know where the first dog was and probably "hit" in the same area because the first dog did.

I probably do 10 visual inspections a week behind K9 inspections for second opinions ... and 9 out 10 times the dog is wrong. Certified or not, because that in itself is something to laugh about.

3. Deytrollin

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 8:32:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't care if the dog gave a false positive and I unnecessarily threw something out. I realize that is possible and I'd rather not take the risk of exposing it to the rest of my stuff if that was the only item I had to lose. I want to know about the possibility of false negatives.

If you will recall correctly I had my samples of bed bugs and fecal confirmed by a PCO, and fecal matter was confirmed by you as well. The reason Lou and others were dismissive was because of the location of the evidence, and my sudden change/disappearance of bite reactions compared to three other BB infestations. You were the only one who said it was worth treating my old room.

Maybe this should be moved if a dog confirmation is worth so little...

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 21:35:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I couldn't find the posts you refer to where "Lou and others were dismissive," and maybe i am misreading the threads I did see, but I found multiple posts where people like EffeCi confirmed a fecal stain image, and David Cain suggested the location of fecal stains suggested perhaps a particular pattern of infestation, but warrnted further verification. And you're saying above that KillerQueen said it was worth treating.

Given this limited exploration of your discussions, it sounds like people here were not terribly dismissive overall.

I am glad your issue is resolved. I can understand wanting to treat without a visual confirmation.

But two facts remain:
    (1) As should be obvious, people on a web forum cannot determine with any certainty if someone has bed bugs. They can only try and assess the description or images they see.
    (2) A dog alert without visual evidence being provided is simply not definitive evidence. The standard advice we hear from experts is to hire a dog handler who visually confirms all dog alerts. We have a FAQ on canine scent detection which highlights this advice.

I am aware of cases where treatment was undertaken without visual evidence and the problems persisted afterwards. This is a very expensive and frustrating situation for those involved. It's the reason people are cautious and advise first finding visual evidence.

Being cautious about not treating until some visual evidence is found is not the same as assuming someone does not have bed bugs. If they are present, physical signs will become apparent with monitoring and searching. A dog handler who visually verified alerts might even have found some for you.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,362 posts in 44,495 topics over 135 months by 19,509 of 20,188 members. Latest: Fighterme, DrayaF, Chakka