(44 posts)
  1. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 8 2014 7:18:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Folks,

Lou & Paul (that's me) will be appearing on ABC's 20/20 Show on May 9th, Friday night at 9:00 PM.

The "bug segment" will reportedly feature a hidden camera bed bug thing as well as a home destroyed by termites.

As merely role players in this thing neither Lou or I actually know what will be included on the actual show. Since we were told the entire segment would be "about six minutes", and having worked with television news type folks before, it seems appropriate to list some information here for your review:

> As explained to us by the producer:
    * We were contacted to serve as experts in their show.
    * They were suspicious that some folks may be using K9s to sell bed bug jobs based upon false positive alerts.
    * The plan was to set up a hidden camera to see what occurred at a certain location inspected by about ten individual companies.
    * We were asked to inspect the location in question.
    * The subsequent events would be video recorded and we were asked several questions.
    * We did not know what companies were involved.

> Other Stuff & "Take Home Messages":
    We were interviewed on camera side by side and answered several questions. In my view we offered viable and sound responses however, there is no assurance which or what portions of our responses will actually appear on the show ! I'm sure Lou aggress that neither of us intend to be misquoted or have our responses taken out of context. While this could happen, the take home messages intended are listed below:
    * We requested that no company names were to be used on the show. In fact, this was assured to me via a telcon with the producer this past Tuesday.
    * We requested that the show focus on the positive aspects and present viable information for interested consumers.
    * That K9s are a viable and valuable tool for today's bed bug professional.
    * That K9s have a huge advantage in scent detection/bed bug detection over humans.
    * That, since they cannot talk, K9s have a slight disadvantage and, as such, areas where the K9 alerts should be visually inspected and confirmed by a human prior to initiating a bed bug treatment.

What's listed above pretty much covers the fundamentals of the entire show. Since only Lou was able to view the hidden camera video, he may want to post additional comments.

Termite Segment:

The termite segment was filmed on location in Birmingham, AL. Again, no company names were supposed to be aired on the show. Some interesting points:

* This home is not reparable due to the extensive damage.
    * The home will be completely demolished and all debris removed prior to another home being constructed on this lot.
    * The damage was caused by Formosan termites which are a non-native species here in the US. They are very aggressive and damage infested structures at a greater rate than native subterranean species.
    * The show will present the extensive damage and the homeowner's perspective on their ordeal.

You will need to view the show to see the results and various points that are covered.

In just six minutes one wonders what will be covered from these two stories. We need to realize that the folks who make the decisions on these news shows are not well versed in pests, bed bugs or termites. As such, it's anyone's guess what comments and video will be presented.

Thanks for watching kids !

pjb

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 8 2014 12:08:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I look forward to seeing the two of you in action . . . all six minutes of it! I will have my popcorn popped - and might even DVR it . . . just in case I miss even one of the 360 seconds!

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 8 2014 12:28:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou & Paul (that's me) will be appearing on ABC's 20/20 Show on May 9th, Friday night at 9:00 PM.

Is that eastern time? 10 on east coast?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 8 2014 13:03:21
    #

Login to Send PM

You're right Lou !

It's on at 10 PM EST (not 9 pm).

(Check local TV listings to be sure.)

pjb

5. Canuck

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 8 2014 14:04:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul and Lou,
    Am I understanding right - Paul discussed the termites and Lou gave the feedback on the bed bugs or were you both commenting on the bed bugs?

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 8 2014 14:30:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Nope.

> BBs - both me and Lou but only Lou saw the videos for review.

> Termites - just PB.

Thx ! pjb

7. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 8 2014 17:00:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope ABC won't block my Internet viewing.

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  8. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 8 2014 17:12:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I went to check the 20/20 archives. Got an Error! message.

"Due to international rights agreements, we only offer this video to viewers located within the U.S. and its territories."

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 8 2014 18:05:57
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking,
    Sometimes videos end up on YouTube under such circumstances.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 9 2014 1:31:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to it. I already set my DVR to record it.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  11. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 9 2014 13:15:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Update !

Dear folks,

The bed bug segment may not actually air tonight due to the graphic nature of bed bug close ups which were included in the show. Reportedly, a high ranking network official thought, that although the story was done very well, that the video may be "too creepy" for viewers as is.

While we hope this is resolved in time for the scheduled show time, there are no guaranties.

We shall know soon enough, I suppose.

pjb

12. Hemiptera

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 9 2014 18:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 5 hours ago  » 
    Update !
    Dear folks,
    The bed bug segment may not actually air tonight due to the graphic nature of bed bug close ups which were included in the show. Reportedly, a high ranking network official thought, that although the story was done very well, that the video may be "too creepy" for viewers as is.
    pjb

That's too bad, I hope they still show it!

13. potomaccanine

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 9 2014 18:45:31
    #

Login to Send PM

An email sent out by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) today said the segment will not air.

14. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 9 2014 19:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 day ago  » 
    JustChecking,
    Sometimes videos end up on YouTube under such circumstances.

Good to know for future reference. Thanks, NoBugs! Too bad that they cancelled the bug segment.

15. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 9 2014 19:59:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Folks,

Both Lou and I put a lot of time, effort and enthusiasm into this project so I'm sure no one is more disappointed that it's not airing tonight than we are.

Hopefully it will be re-edited and scheduled at a future date.

Thanks to all ! pjb

16. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 9 2014 20:49:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll bet the lawyers got to 2020 executives and are now back peddling.

They did it with me on GMA and in the NY Times. To bad the public doesn't get to see the truth yet again. It's 2014 and I think anyone watching TV at 10PM has seen just about everything. Never heard of anyone worrying about a close up shot of a bug before. Sounds like a cover up to me.

Regards,
    John Furman
    Boot A Pest, Inc.
    New York's "Best Bed Bug Exterminator" NY Magazine

17. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 10 2014 7:21:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I was looking forward to seeing it --and it would have helped to make the public more aware. It's too bad they didn't show the segment. It would have been very informative.

Thanks for spending your time and energy (effort and enthusiasm) on trying to make it happen, though. I appreciate all the work you guys do.

18. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 10 2014 19:06:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight - 11 hours ago  » 
    I was looking forward to seeing it --and it would have helped to make the public more aware. It's too bad they didn't show the segment. It would have been very informative.
    Thanks for spending your time and energy (effort and enthusiasm) on trying to make it happen, though. I appreciate all the work you guys do.

Agreed.

Can't they put a restrictive rating on it and show it?

19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 10 2014 20:30:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm really out of the loop on this one being in Europe to attend a conference. 6 hours off from most of you.
    Yes, as I was told, too many bugs so too graphic for the viewing audience. Story is about bugs, why not show them? As weird as it may seem, I've had this before for the same reason.
    The producer told me that there has to be some editing and hopefully it will be seen some day. If it's really for the graphic nature of the bugs, it's unfortunate since people have to live with them if they don't know what to look for. Personally, it's really educational.

20. NY Bug Man

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 10 2014 23:34:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Not too sure if i believe the bugs are too "graphic" for a 10pm friday night audience on a 6 minute segment. The whole show was about the "insiders view" of service businesses and how many people get stolen from and ripped off. I know the NPMA was on top of this one to make sure it didn't put the industry in a bad light. The whole vibe of that episode was about dishonesty. Although i think the viewers need to be aware of dishonest service people, i sure don't like to be thrown under that umbrella. I think the lawyers at NPMA really had something to do with the segment being pulled.

Hopefully we find out the truth, cause i was looking forward to seeing the segment either way.

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 11 2014 1:38:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the people who object most to graphic images of bed bugs are people who currently have them-- and most of the TV audience won't, and as Lou says, they need to learn what to look for.

It does sound like there may be more to the story here. I hope it's ironed out and the show will air another time.

22. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 15 2014 7:46:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:

I'm told that this is going to air.

Will advise when we learn when.

So, don't hold your breath !

Have a great day ! pjb

23. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 16 2014 1:45:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Good news! Thanks, Paul. Should be interesting.

24. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 16 2014 7:50:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Some clarification:

Above was posted the following::

"Not too sure if i believe the bugs are too "graphic" for a 10pm friday night audience on a 6 minute segment."

R: Whether we believe it or not is of no concern to the folks who make the decisions at these shows.

"The whole show was about the "insiders view" of service businesses and how many people get stolen from and ripped off."

R: Not true.

"I know the NPMA was on top of this one to make sure it didn't put the industry in a bad light."

R: Hmmm . . . of course this depends on how we're defining "on top of". However, as a person who was actually there, conversing and interacting with the folks working on the project this comment is fundamentally not true.

"The whole vibe of that episode was about dishonesty. Although i think the viewers need to be aware of dishonest service people, i sure don't like to be thrown under that umbrella."

R: This was partially true at best for some of the segments but not others.

"I think the lawyers at NPMA really had something to do with the segment being pulled."

R: Not true.

"Hopefully we find out the truth, cause i was looking forward to seeing the segment either way."

R: Folks outside the small circle of those who make the decisions regarding the production of these shows may never know the entire story and various nuances which influence programming decisions. Unfortunately, this circumstance serves to feed the rumor mill and fuel the fire of conspiracy theories. It's simply not as complex or underhanded as folks might think. Nor did any outside entity such as a trade association play a role in what has or what will occur. In fact, their very own "media alert" contained inaccuracies of which readers would not be aware.

As such, the simple and plain truth is that the general public and those not directly involved do not actually know what's going on, what happened, why it happened or what will happen. Nor are such folks capable of accurate suppositions, theorizing or postulating.

There are no folks closer to this situation than Lou and myself. We agree on the fundamentals and will not disclose what we know. And, while I believe that Lou will agree with me on this but I'm not asserting that he does here, I for one find much of the resulting conversation published comical due to the inaccuracies.

Everyone will see the segment when it airs. They will then be able to make their own observations and draw their own conclusions which will ultimately put the rumor mill to rest.

We are likely best served to simply wait and see.

Have a nice day ! pjb

25. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 29 2014 18:58:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Any updates on when this will air, Paul and Lou?

26. NY Bug Man

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 29 2014 20:45:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope soon, i want to see it!

27. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 29 2014 23:35:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Stay tuned, we'll let you know.

pjb

28. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2014 10:14:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Paul!

29. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2014 12:01:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll be interested in seeing it, too, and see how much can be fit into a few minutes of airtime from all the shooting over all those days.

30. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2014 17:08:48
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 5 hours ago  » 
    I'll be interested in seeing it, too, and see how much can be fit into a few minutes of airtime from all the shooting over all those days.

Yes, Lou-- always interesting what the news shows determine is interesting, or not. I am sure it's hard in many cases to think of all the other footage which could have gotten in.

31. NY Bug Man

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 17:57:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't want to yell fire in a crowded movie theater..

But rumor VIA NPMA email states this should FINALLY air tonight. I feel like it will show this time. I will spread the word, hopefully i am not let down this time.

Third times a charm!

Good luck PB AND Lou

32. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 18:12:40
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL-- thanks, Bug Man! Setting the DVR...

33. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 19:08:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoa! Hold on there Bobbalouie(Quicksdraw).
    I just heard from the producer that "we're on standby" due to: the French story and the Castro story which may preemt the bug stories. Stay tuned . . .

34. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 19:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, the producer called to tell me. It will be in the second part of the show and it's really not a lengthy segment. But as was pointed out above, there is always the possibility of the story being pulled due to world events that take precedence over bed bugs and canines. It's unbelievable, but true.

35. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 20:41:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Update !

Here's the latest folks.

Just got off the phone with the producer and as of minutes ago the bed bug segment "is a go".

However, if there's an announcement from Cuba there's a good chance that the show will be preempted.

So, there you have it;

it's a go but maybe, not so much . . .

I'm unsure how to characterize it any better than that but time will tell and we'll soon see.

Ha ! pjb

36. NY Bug Man

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 22:47:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Well! Looks like its on next! I have my popcorn ready! Looking forward to it

37. NY Bug Man

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 22:59:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Great job Paul and Lou. This is what the public needed. For so long people have been getting ripped off by canine false positives and inexperienced handlers. I see it almost every day. Even though it was a short show i think it got the point across that a bug must be I.D.ed. I am glad it finally aired guys.
    Kudos!

And i also don't think this put the industry in a bad light as many were worried. Great job!

38. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 23:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, it actually aired, finally!

After being there for two days it's difficult to believe that the entirety of what aired was just a few minutes.

There were informative Q&A that weren't used as well.

It is what it is . . .

pjb

39. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 23:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Like always - never enough info.

Good work Paul & Lou.

That first K9 team that walked out refusing to be on TV should have their name exposed. I know who they are - they are one of the biggest and busiest here in NY and they have scammed people out of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars. Total frauds

40. NY Bug Man

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 23:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ, I WAS THINKING THE SAME! i think we both know who it is. Funny thing about it is that last week i did a follow up on them and it was a negative. They're rip offs and prey on vulnerabilities.

41. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 23:34:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou & I agreed that no company names should be disclosed as a condition of us appearing on the show.

Our intention was to provide viable and credible information on the proper use of canine inspections for bed bug detection purposes for the benefit of the consumers who may be interested in having a K9 inspection done rather than conduct a "witch hunt" which would likely unnecessarily harm any company or the industry.

This said, the person with the two dogs was the most problematic for several reasons some of which were:

> Both Lou and I inspected this home "independently" such that Lou started downstairs whilst I inspected the rooms of the floor above. We then switched floors such that each room was "human inspected" twice.

> We then had a trusted K9 team which I arranged for come in to conduct their inspection later that day. As such, this home was inspected by: Lou, Myself and a K9/Handler Team. There were no bed bugs present in this house.

> The "two dog guy" and his dogs inspected the home separately using one dog each time. These dogs "alerted" 11 times, i.e. five & six alerts, in a home where there were zero bed bugs.

> The TDG indicated that he'd "find" bed bugs yet he didn't. What didn't air was that he told the HO that his dogs were "100% accurate" and that if his dogs alert then the house should be treated.

What's somewhat disappointing is the beneficial information which was taped on location which was not included in the few minutes allocated to this segment plus the time spent for such a short story segment. Yikes . . .

In any case, I suppose it went OK.

pjb

42. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 10 2015 0:33:06
    #

Login to Send PM

> The "two dog guy" and his dogs inspected the home separately using one dog each time. These dogs "alerted" 11 times, i.e. five & six alerts, in a home where there were zero bed bugs.

Unfortunately, we hear of stories like this all the time, including one forum user this week who had a dog alert four times but doesn't have bed bugs.

And he wants his money back...

> The TDG indicated that he'd "find" bed bugs yet he didn't. What didn't air was that he told the HO that his dogs were "100% accurate" and that if his dogs alert then the house should be treated.

We also hear of consumers being told regularly that someone's dogs are 100% accurate or 95% accurate or what-have-you-- and the question this raises is, if you don't visually inspect, how in the world would you know?

Thanks, Lou and Paul, for trying to get the word out. I have the recording but will be watching it in the am.

Here's a teaser article from ABC yesterday:

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/exterminator-dogs-perfect-sniffing-bedbugs/story?id=23638950

43. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 10 2015 9:26:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Watched it! While I agree it was short and would have liked more, I think they did a pretty good job of getting the bottom line across . . .

That sniffing dogs can be a good tool, but are not 100% accurate (for various reasons), and if you use one, make sure any positive hits are confirmed!

Awesome job Paul Bello and Lou Sorkin!! You guys rock!! (And now you're TV stars also!)

44. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 10 2015 9:35:48
    #

Login to Send PM

They cut out too much good information but thanks nonetheless !

pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,665 posts in 48,165 topics over 149 months by 21,224 of 21,578 members. Latest: thiscantbe, Lauren140california, Postpartum and Panicking