Looking for helpful Advice

(6 posts)
  1. Bed Bug Armageddon

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 11 2012 21:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok so after browsing this entire site for longer than I would have liked to and reading up on all the info. and all the horrible stories, my heart goes out to you all!, I've decided to share my experience and hopefully also get some more helpful advice and perspectives. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies with any helpful info.

I recently discovered a bed bug, about a week ago to be exact. I was able to collect it and show it to the PCO who confirmed that it was in fact a bed bug.

Which brings me to my first question, I only saw the one and I only have a couple of stains here and there around my mattress cover, not full encasement but just regular cover, my mattress is in tact, no tears or rips, my box spring was wrapped in plastic from when I first purchased it but it did have some small holes which I later patched up with tape upon inspection. I haven't had any bites since then, any chance that I lucked out and it was only one and it wasn't female?

I'm pretty sure my infestation came from visiting a friend and he transported himself either on my person or most likely a tote bag that I had with me at the time. If not the sole bed bug, how big of an infestation could I realistically have? The PCO was not able to answer this but he suggested that due to the stains that it would be more than the one.

I also would like to mention that I had both boric acid and DE laid down on the carpet and seams prior to the bed bug appearance for fleas that I was self treating for. Again, any chance this also helped to curb the infestation?

Now on the note of treatment, I was presented with two options, the heat treatment and the regular 4 separate spraying treatments. My landlord is covering the cost so he gets to choose treatment not I unfortunately. Obviously he opted for the cheaper non-Heat treatment. So next question how realistic is it that this treatment would be effective if at all? The PCO was really pushing for heat especially since I live in an apartment building and not a separate home. Can anyone one share how well this treatment worked for them?

On to the last question regarding encasements, in the agreement I made with the landlord I am responsible for my bedding, be it throw it away or pay for encasements. I have seen differing viewpoints and opinions shared about which is more effective and furthermore which encasement brand works best. The PCO sells Protect-a-Bed but I'm not sure which type, smooth or terry cloth. I believe he said it was the basic one that does not offer allergy or fluid protection. He's offering it at 76 bucks each. Question - is matress safe, allerease or secure sleep a better option or perhaps another brand? I read the FAQs on encasement where it compared brands but even though Protect-a-Bed came out on top I've seen and heard bad things about the quality in terms of wear and tear.

I looked at the brands offered by BB&B, Kmart and Sears and they seem to be different names but same concept just not sure on quality. Is Terry cloth with secure zipper the best?

Thanks again for having such an informative site and for the help.

Thanks to this site, I learned how to protect my bed by making cups out of old water bottles and placing each under the metal frame legs of my bed which is on wheels filled with 91% alcohol and some DE as well as legs greased up with mineral oil.

Phew, that was long!

2. ItchyNYC

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 11 2012 21:24:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I can only comment on one question due to my lack of expertise, but if you do heat treatment on an apartment, you have to be 100% positive no one in any apartment around you (above, below or either side) has them or you can get them back again. That can't happen in a separate home, so not sure why the PCO said you should have heat especially since you live in an apartment, other than it wouldn't cost as much to treat an apartment with heat as it would to treat a house.

3. ItchyNYC

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 11 2012 21:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and when I was inquiring about heat treatment for my apartment, I asked how they make sure no bugs will come in through other apartments and they said:

"We recommend caulking all baseboard moldings areas. As well as areas around pipe riser lines."

They also said the same about electrical outlets if there are gaps in those.

I would think you also have to make sure the landlord checks the apartments around yours to be 100% sure there are no bed bugs in any of them.

4. Bed Bug Armageddon

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 2:01:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply Itchy,

I don't think the landlord is going to check out anything. I really think they're not taking this seriously and only begrudgingly offered to take responsibility for treatment. They were offered the heat treatment along with K9 inspection of other units included and they declined.

My fear is that they will in fact return if they are still here which is quite possible. I feel it's like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off at any moment, especially since the eggs take 7-10 days to hatch I believe.

I also don't have much confidence in the PCO as they've done a terrible job with the fleas. As I write this the fleas are still biting me so in all fairness I guess I've done a poor job as well. Seems as though my apt is infested with pests and it doesn't help that almost everyone who lives here has pets, like my next door neighbor who has cats, hmm I wonder where the fleas are coming from.

So fleas, dust mites, bed bugs, possible termites, yep definitely time to move!

I just hope I don't bring anything with me to the next place I end up. Might have to use the Vicane trailer option just to be safe. The bright side is I don't have much stuff and the furniture I do have can all be left behind with the exception of one ergonomic chair which I really like

5. ItchyNYC

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 4:22:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I do want to add that my box spring and mattress were thrown out by my building's super with NO protests from me at all since the box spring was totally infested and there was no way I was going to continue to sleep on that bed, even if I could add encasements. If you're going to move though, the plan you have sounds about right for what I've read as far as what you should do when you move.

Oh and I had 2 cats who went outside all the time when I lived in Florida (a long time ago) and they brought home fleas all the time. Had to periodically bomb for them and they would die and then come back. That said, I would take a flea infestation ANY DAY over bed bugs.

Sorry I can't be of more help and good luck!

6. Bed Bug Armageddon

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 19 2012 3:46:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah Itchy, I'd rather deal with fleas too especially since I have more experience dealing with them, haha.

Ok so here's an update on both my pest situations. I finally had my first treatment done for the bed bugs yesterday. They left me a copy of what they used and it was a combo of Bedlam and Phantom and supposedly the dusting but I didn't see that listed, all though they informed me verbally that they would be using that as well.

So my first question is what do you guys think about using those two chemicals as treatment? Is it the most effective? Are there other products out there that could have been used which are more efective?

It was suppose to be a 2 hr job but it looks like the guy finished early. He obviously treated and encased my bed because he left them both standing up. I had to place them back on the frame which was also treated, in the process I ended up getting some still wet residual pesticide on my fingers which I washed off almost immediately. Not sure how bad it is to get that stuff on your hands but the guy was wearing some dirty crusty ass gloves the whole time he was treating. I know because he left stains on both encasements as well as in other areas.

Anyway, definitely have to deduct points for cleanliness and not putting things back after finished treating. All of my furniture was also turned upside down. Came back to find my whole apartment turned upside down. Is this normal?

Btw, for those who are curious I ended up going with the Protect-A-Bed aller smooth covers. They do come with a 10 yr warranty and I ended up getting a good deal on them and they were also recommended by the PCO but I have to say that I'm not impressed with their quality and wonder about the durability. These are not cheap either they start out at 100 bucks but I get a way better deal than that since I had to buy two although I really didn't feel the need to since my mattress was in great condition.

Btw, finally found out where the fleas were hiding. They were in some boxes that I was saving up for a move in the immediate future. Why would fleas live in boxes? Srsly? WTF?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure now I can finally say adios to the fleas and hopefully the bed bugs as well. *Crosses fingers hoping*

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,669 posts in 43,300 topics over 130 months by 18,985 of 19,564 members. Latest: BBRuth, nonono, Cleothecat