Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Living in hell

(29 posts)
  1. bugginhell

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 0:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

So I posted on here a whole back but am still suffering severely. My mother is a neglectful hoarder who refuses to pay for an exterminator for bed bugs. We have been infested for almost 2 years now and it just keeps getting worse and worse. I'm 18 years old and can't afford to move out at the moment and have no family to move in with. I'm wake up to 10+ bites every morning and have to wear long sleeves to hide it. I'm absolutely terrified for summer because it will be harder to hide the bites... I'm feeling really lost and out of control right now. I just made some new friends and got out of an abusive relationship and he is going around telling them I have bed bugs and they need to stay away from me. I feel absolutely awful right now because I've slept over peoples houses and if they find bed bugs theyll know it's from me. I feel like my only choice at this point is to isolate myself. I've tried so many times but my mother absolutely refuses to get and exterminator and every time I've asked she would scream she can't afford it but she just bought a car for herself. I want to be able to be with friends and sleep over but I just feel so guilty doing it because I don't want other people suffering through this and it's embarrassing also. I've contacted the health department multiple times and they never got back to me. Does anyone have any advice?

2. Canuck

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 1:19:19
    #

Login to Send PM

School counsellor? Church leader? Also, in cases of hoarding, we have reported to landlords, fire departments, etc., although I do understand it takes time and a different approach to help someone control and move beyond hoarding. Here on this site, check out the FAQs and teach yourself about bed bugs and what you can do to ensure you do not have hitch-hikers when you leave. My thoughts are with you...

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  3. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 1:27:59
    #

Login to Send PM

bugginhell - 25 minutes ago  » 
    So I posted on here a whole back but am still suffering severely. My mother is a neglectful hoarder who refuses to pay for an exterminator for bed bugs. We have been infested for almost 2 years now and it just keeps getting worse and worse. I'm 18 years old and can't afford to move out at the moment and have no family to move in with. I'm wake up to 10+ bites every morning and have to wear long sleeves to hide it. I'm absolutely terrified for summer because it will be harder to hide the bites... I'm feeling really lost and out of control right now. I just made some new friends and got out of an abusive relationship and he is going around telling them I have bed bugs and they need to stay away from me. I feel absolutely awful right now because I've slept over peoples houses and if they find bed bugs theyll know it's from me. I feel like my only choice at this point is to isolate myself. I've tried so many times but my mother absolutely refuses to get and exterminator and every time I've asked she would scream she can't afford it but she just bought a car for herself. I want to be able to be with friends and sleep over but I just feel so guilty doing it because I don't want other people suffering through this and it's embarrassing also. I've contacted the health department multiple times and they never got back to me. Does anyone have any advice?

I'm so sorry youre going through this. I'm afraid it'll get this bad at my place soon and it scares the crap out of me. Your mother's lack of seriousness about the whole situation does not put you in a good place. If I were you, I would try to save up money and find a way to move out. You may need to leave everything you own behind including clothes but that would be your best shot at not taking them with you. People say dry your clothes andbyoud be fine, but i wouldnt chance it. A lot of people wont agree with me but if she won't address the issue, you may have no choice. You could try and treat your room a little and isolate your bed to help with bites until you're in a position to move out. Declutter your room, encase your mattress and box spring if possible and install climb ups. Not to mention wash all bedding and dry on high heat for a hour or 2. Then when the time comes, buy new clothes and shoes, taking precautions to keep them not infested, keep them outside the house, and then take a hot shower, put new underwear on in the bathroom, walk out of the house and put on your new clothes and move on with your life. Your young so you wouldn't be losing a lot. So it's doable. Just my 2 cents.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. bugginhell

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 1:39:11
    #

Login to Send PM

My mother owns the house so there's no landlord here and I'm only making minimum wage and I'm paying off a car so I can't afford to move out. I am saving though and hoping to find something around 400$. I feel like they're inescapable and if I move out I can't afford to throw everything away and buy new things. My mother laughs about the whole situation and claims she doesn't like living with them either. She keeps telling me to spray my room with bed bug sprays she has ordered online but I have 2 pet rabbits in my room and I don't want me or them to be breathing in chemicals. I bought a mattress case a few months ago and it really helped for a while but they found a new hiding spot and I have no idea where. I also have no bed frame because the one I originally had got infested so I stupidly bought a new one and found them all over the frame so I had to throw that out. I can't even lay in bed without feeling them crawl on me (I don't know if it's psychological or if they actually are).

5. bugginhell

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 1:41:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it wrong for me to sleep over peoples houses and not tell them I have bed bugs? I'm scared if I tell people the truth they'll all run away from me

6. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 1:44:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you find some kind of Job that includes a room to live in? Then you can take precautions to not take them with you and can live without them.

7. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 2:08:10
    #

Login to Send PM

bugginhell - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Is it wrong for me to sleep over peoples houses and not tell them I have bed bugs? I'm scared if I tell people the truth they'll all run away from me

Wrong? idk... irresponsible? Maybe... I wouldn't be sleeping over anywhere while I had an infestation. My girls have to go to their other parents house and stay the weekend every weekend but they know we have bed bugs and we take precautions not to spread them. Do you take any precautions? We put all our clothing/coats we intend to wear in the dryer for 1.5-2 hours before we go anywhere. We have a set of shoes that we've dried and leave outside. And after putting on these clothes, we walk directly out of the house. If you plan on staying other places or going to hang out with friends, try and be mindful and just take precautions not to spread them. Nothings 100% fool proof but we do everything we can to leave them at home when we leave.

8. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 2:09:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Knowledge is power. The internet is full of information. Learn how to battle the bed bugs and prevent bites. If your mom won't take control of the situation then you do it. You can do it. Start with buying Cimexa and applying it around all the clutter and beds and crevices. It's a good first start.

You can stay at friend's houses without transmitting bugs. Wash and dry your clothing on hot, do the same with your bags and shoes, keep it all stored away from the bugs by putting them in bags or plastic bins. Then get dressed in a bug-free zone such as the bathroom and leave straight away.

But you have to take action and declare war on the bugs and learn how to kill them and prevent them getting on your bed and furniture. It doesn't do any good to put your mattress in an encasement while it's laying on the floor for bugs to climb up on it.

Account closed
  9. bugginhell

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 2:12:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I possibly could but I feel like that would be a challenge. Both of my grandmothers and aunts have them also but again they're all hoarders and refuse to do anything about it. I have 2 rabbits that I'm very attached to and really don't want to give them up and I feel as if that's gonna make it more difficult. I wish these awful bugs didn't exist because they ruin your life and take a huge toll on mental health :/

10. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 2:13:07
    #

Login to Send PM

bugginhell - 31 minutes ago  » 
    My mother owns the house so there's no landlord here and I'm only making minimum wage and I'm paying off a car so I can't afford to move out. I am saving though and hoping to find something around 400$. I feel like they're inescapable and if I move out I can't afford to throw everything away and buy new things. My mother laughs about the whole situation and claims she doesn't like living with them either. She keeps telling me to spray my room with bed bug sprays she has ordered online but I have 2 pet rabbits in my room and I don't want me or them to be breathing in chemicals. I bought a mattress case a few months ago and it really helped for a while but they found a new hiding spot and I have no idea where. I also have no bed frame because the one I originally had got infested so I stupidly bought a new one and found them all over the frame so I had to throw that out. I can't even lay in bed without feeling them crawl on me (I don't know if it's psychological or if they actually are).

I hear what you're saying. But 2 years is a lot of bed bugs and I don't doubt most of what you own is infested. You can always try buying a pack tite and treating all belongings in there before you move out. Just be sure to make sure once they are treated, they are sealed and stored away from the infected area.

11. bugginhell

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 2:21:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Is Cimexa safe to use around pets? My mother has 5 cats and a dog so I don't want to put them at risk. I truly feel like they're impossible to get rid of without an exterminator and escpecially in a hoarder house. My mother swears on her life that spraying my bed everyday will get rid of them. Along with yelling st me and saying she can't afford and exterminator she tells me to spray my bed and use a steam cleaner on it and that an exterminator will do no good. I don't think she comprehends that bed bugs
    Don't only live in your mattress

12. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 2:27:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Wouldn't food grade DE be safer than Cimixa around pets since it is editable. Its danger is when it's breathed in. I understand DE isn't as fast as Cimixa but may be a better idea.

13. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 2:41:29
    #

Login to Send PM

An exterminator isn't an option at this point since she is refusing to hire one. So you have to do what you can to resolve the problem on your own. She might be embarrassed about the condition of the house, and exterminators are expensive.

Read the product label for Cimexa, the only pet warning is about eye irritant (read for yourself though), and it is said to be safe around pets and has instructions for using it in pet areas. I have a dog and she's fine and my house is heavily dusted with it because I'm mid-battle. I put doggy eye drops in her eyes if she acts like they are bothering her (rubbing them) and rinse her off if she starts to feel "tacky". But you definitely don't want the animals in the house during treatment because it is a very fine powder that takes a while to settle and should not be inhaled.

Search the FAQ here and YouTube for help in using it and other treatments. And for learning how to isolate your bed and furniture using interceptor traps.

14. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 2:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Wouldn't food grade DE be safer than Cimixa around pets since it is editable. Its danger is when it's breathed in. I understand DE isn't as fast as Cimixa but may be a better idea.

As far as I know, they are both equally safe. I read... and you will want to verify it on your own... that Cimexa is electrically charged so it will "jump" to cling to the bug as it passes and the bug doesn't have to actually walk through it, just near it. LIke static electricity. It then clings to the bug and draws up the protective barrier on the exoskeleton, which results in dehydration. I also read that DE will absorb moisture and needs to be replaced whereas Cimexa will last up to 10 years. Please verify it all yourself. I've been reading so much and my facts could be slightly off.

15. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 2:49:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a study about Cimexa used in houses that were cluttered.

http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/

16. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 3:03:40
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 33 minutes ago  » 

Cimexa is now considered by the majority to be just as safe as DE, with it having the same toxicity as table salt. Not to mention, in studies is was proven to work 10x better than DE.

17. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 3:12:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have any references? Looking at the MSDS form https://www.ipmpost.net/includes/pesticide.ashx?f=(dir)/445/MSDS/CimeXa%20Insecticide%20Dust%20SDS.pdf it doesn't look at safe as food grade DE which, is my understanding, is a health food.

18. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 3:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

DE which, is my understanding, is a health food.

Health food? It's ground up fossilized sea critters used in animal feed to slice and dice intestinal parasites. Are people eating it now, too? For what purpose? "Food grade" is larger particles than garden variety and is safer to apply as an indoor insecticide because the larger particles don't cause silicosis. Cimexa is rounded particles which don't harm the lungs. But everything in moderation so don't go inhaling it either.

19. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 7:49:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 3 hours ago  » 

DE which, is my understanding, is a health food.

Health food? It's ground up fossilized sea critters used in animal feed to slice and dice intestinal parasites. Are people eating it now, too? For what purpose? "Food grade" is larger particles than garden variety and is safer to apply as an indoor insecticide because the larger particles don't cause silicosis. Cimexa is rounded particles which don't harm the lungs. But everything in moderation so don't go inhaling it either.

This sums it up^

The two PCO companies I've talked to in my area, straight up told me DE does not work. The one company I talked to a technician for a half hour. He told me DE worked okay in lab studies with perfect conditions but lacked the same results in the field. Both I talked to and the crappy PCO that treated my infestation all use cimexa in their treatment plan. I can't find the website that showed 2 different studies regarding different dessicants against bed bugs. In both, cimexa eventually killed 100% of the bed bugs who came in contact with it (in lab conditions). DEs death percentage on the other hand was alarmingly low. I was suprised at how bad it did when I seen the study.

Just to be clear, I've used neither yet, I've just done the research and would go with cimexa without a doubt.

20. bugginhell

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 10:40:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Will I have to use cimexa over every inch of the house? I don't know where I would put 5 cats and 2 rabbits during this either. The clutter is so bad I don't even know if anything I try will work. Life is a nightmare right now. Do any bed bug sprays on the market even work? I can guarantee my mom has spend over 300$ on sprays that have seemed to make no difference.

21. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 12:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Will I have to use cimexa over every inch of the house?

Be the bait. Bed bugs need to eat and you and your mom are the food. Use that fact to your advantage and begin by treating areas where the food supply rests. Bedrooms, living room, kitchen, desk, furniture you sit on. Watch some Cimexa how-to videos and do those things to the best of your ability and use interceptor traps where possible. If you can't reach every wall or every outlet then just do your best. I know it seems overwhelming but you don't have a choice so accept the challenge and declare war.

22. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 13:51:51
    #

Login to Send PM

bugginhell - 2 hours ago  » 
    Will I have to use cimexa over every inch of the house? I don't know where I would put 5 cats and 2 rabbits during this either. The clutter is so bad I don't even know if anything I try will work. Life is a nightmare right now. Do any bed bug sprays on the market even work? I can guarantee my mom has spend over 300$ on sprays that have seemed to make no difference.

You need to declutter, no boxes of stuff laying aroung, no dirty clothes laying around, stuff like that. Any dirty clothes should go directly in a garbage bag preferably off the floor until laundering, then directly in the washer and throw the bag out. You need to elimimate hiding places for them. If you have to throw out unnecessary stuff then do so after sealing in a bag.

Clean clothes should go into sealed bags like giant ziplocks or into weathertite totes, then dried again before leaving the house. Run your usual pair of shoes or anything else you regularly wear through the dryer a couple times and leave outside or in a sealed bag when coming in. Be mindful that your purse may be infected also.

You can't half ass it with these things, it will be hard but you can make your lifestyle better before coming up with a moving out plan. I'd buy one of those puffers they use for applying the cimexa as well. Then lightly apply a coating the the sides of your box spring, the baseboards, and any Crack and crevice possible. It needs to be a fine coating, pretty much invisible to the naked eye. Most sprays in an aerosol don't work well and just scatter them. You could buy a sprayer, respirator, and some professional strength chemicals and do a diy approach but im not sure id recommend it in you situation. It wouldnt completely eliminate the problem but could control it enough to lower your anxiety. However these supplies would cost you close to 200 dollars. You may not like to hear it, but the only way you may be able to fully escape the hell you're in, is to move, leaving almost everything behind. And anything you take, needs to be PROPERLY treated before moving.

23. yohoki

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 17:24:56
    #

Login to Send PM

It really pains me to read your post, as I'm going through the exact same thing, just minus the pets. Both of my in-laws and my wife all like to hoard things and have my father-in-law refuses to be of any help decluttering. It's been 5 years that we've been dealing with these pests and I'm basically cleaning the entire house and treating by myself. We've got 3 young kids, so my wife doesn't really have the time to help clean either.

I came to this forum one night, just kind of on a whim. For 5 years I was afraid to tell anyone we had bed bugs, because I didn't want anyone to come take the kids away. 5 years of not inviting guests and not staying long at friends' houses. I was at the point where I thought I'd be living the rest of my life like this. The forum completely changed my mind after only one night. By the morning, I felt completely different about the situation.

It's a long, hard road... the house is littered with thrash bags full of our sterilized clothes and stuffed toys... the carpet is vacuumed every other day... Cimexa is put down every Wednesday... it's not easy at all to treat this way, I tell you now. But it's worth it. If you have to do it alone, so be it.

You can do this!

Now, about your pets... I do have a cat that lives in the garage, plus my kids and an elderly in the house. (Not to say the kids are in the garage... that's.... you're twisting my words!) Since I had so many different ages and species, I wanted to make sure anything used would harm only the bugs and no one else. Cimexa is the way to go. It's dangerous to breathe it in, so put your pets in another room while the dust settles. Other than that, you shouldn't have to worry about your rabbits getting hurt by it.

Best of luck! I really hope you get through this! I really, really, REALLY know how much stress this can put on family bonds when that one person is not helping, or even causing more problems. Hopefully soon you'll be putting this all behind you.

Notable sites for my reference (and others that are interested):
    http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
    http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/tbypmr.pdf (PDF file. May prompt download)
    Http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/ (David's company website.)
    Http://www.bedbugger.com/forum/
  24. yohoki

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 17:27:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Btw, sorry for double post, but I wouldn't plan on moving it until the issue is resolved. Firstly, because of your financial state... don't let these bugs make bad financial decisions for you. Secondly, because you'll only end up bringing them with you.

25. bugged-cdn

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 17:37:27
    #

Login to Send PM

At 18 years old, I'd move if I could. Chances are a teenager hasn't accumulated a ton of "stuff" like many of us have.

Clothes can easily be decontaminated in a dryer.

At 18 I don't think it's fair to expect that someone can single handedly exterminate a full blown infestation without a PCO and working at loggerheads with the adult of the household to boot.

If a friend, aunt, cousin etc., was willing to let me move in, I'd make sure my clothes were bug-free and get the heck out. If that wasn't an option I'd save and save until I could afford even a tiny studio on my own.

26. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 19:48:35
    #

Login to Send PM

yohoki - 2 hours ago  » 
    Btw, sorry for double post, but I wouldn't plan on moving it until the issue is resolved. Firstly, because of your financial state... don't let these bugs make bad financial decisions for you. Secondly, because you'll only end up bringing them with you.

Nice to see you yohoki on the other side of the wall, giving advice and support. Agreed that if the problem can be taken care of before moving, that's the best way, but considering her mom's lack of support on addressing the issue, I don't think that's an option, especially for an 18 year old. People have successfully moved away from bed bugs. It is not easy whatsoever and takes meticulous planning and execution, but it can be done. Methods such as vikane in a moving truck are the easiest(for lack of a better word) but that doesn't look like an option for her. In my opinion, the most likely way of escaping this issue would be for her to move away from the issue after taking the necessary steps to insure she leaves them behind. A lot of us are in positions where we have built up a lot of possessions and have families making it near impossible to move on with nothing. But at 18, I would consider leaving almost everything behind and moving on with my life.

27. yohoki

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 21:01:34
    #

Login to Send PM

On other hand, moving out isn't a cheap or easy option, either. Not to mention if it doesn't work, she's still going to have to do treatment solo but with less funds after the move.

If moving isn't an option, and she said it probably isn't, it would be nice to provide her with some useful help.

I would start with your own living area first, Buggin. Do your room, and the areas that you use frequently. That may help you. I'm treating my entire house all at once, but I've read several stories of people using DE/Cimexa on single rooms at a time and slowly getting them all cleared. Who knows. Maybe if she sees you actively cleaning and ridding yourself of the pests, your mother may also begin to help. If not, at least you're in a better place and get some sleep without bugs while you deal with the rest. I have some links in my signature. You might read the pdf about TbyPMR. That's the treatment I'm doing at home. I'd be glad to tell you more about it if you like.

28. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 21:02:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think her mom is being overly difficult. She is encouraging buggedinhell to spray her room, steam her bed, and seems to at least WANT to be bug free. She might not know what else to do and money clearly is an issue, and POSSIBLY, if presented with the right plan she would be willing to buy some affordable items to get started.

I don't think moving out will resolve anything. I don't like to say this, but Buggedinhell is not doing her part to get things under control either. She refuses to spray her room, her mom tells her to steam it - does she?, she's sleeping with the mattress on the floor because her frame became infested, and doesn't understand why things are getting worse. She also wants to take all her things with her when she moves. Plus, staying at friends houses without doing anything to prevent spreading the bugs to them. With that strategy, she will take the bugs with her and infest an apartment complex.

quote "She keeps telling me to spray my room with bed bug sprays she has ordered online but I have 2 pet rabbits in my room and I don't want me or them to be breathing in chemicals. I bought a mattress case a few months ago and it really helped for a while but they found a new hiding spot and I have no idea where. I also have no bed frame because the one I originally had got infested so I stupidly bought a new one and found them all over the frame so I had to throw that out."

Buggedinhell... I apologize for speaking about you rather than to you. Your mom is not going to hire an exterminator and you are at very high risk of taking the bugs with you when you move. So you need to get involved in the process and learn everything you can about resolving bed bugs if you have any hope of living bed bug free now or in your new apartment. If you don't learn then you WILL spread them to your new place and friends. Who knows, maybe you could become the bed bug expert in the family and help other relatives resolve their bb infestations.

29. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 0:45:01
    #

Login to Send PM

bugginhell, I'm messaging you some links to videos for getting rid of bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,577 posts in 43,275 topics over 130 months by 18,981 of 19,559 members. Latest: Ehe22, Koonspg4s, slynnp1