live in aparttment got bedbugs i need your opinions

(18 posts)
  1. i dont know what to do

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 0:23:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a one bedroom apartment with my grandmother we have been treated twice the second time we found them on a saturday called our landlord and he said all the apartments were gettting done theres 7 apartments 3 on one side 4 on mine and we have bought alot of raid spray with Pyrethrins
    i recently stayed there and hung out there alot. Now 2 weeks later after 3 months my aunt brings her dog here and i noticed he scratched alot i started looking up bedbugs again. Later that night i talk to my grandma and told her i think their back. I havnt found one in the livingroom its always my grandma's bedroom i have sprayed and steamed and did everything i could my grandma thinks its a joke and it scares me cause now im thinking what if i dont react to bb bites and i gave them to someone else :'(!! i admit my landlord is ontop of it but he doesn't care i got diatomaceous earth and
    spreadedd it and i dont know if it will work,
    i know for a fact the people downstairs have them their
    usually calm but i can hear them tossing furniture today there was a matress out side any one have tips to prevent them i cocked everything up!

im spending on average 80 dollars a day on products we are getting a new boxspring i ssteamed it today with a shark steamer it tested it and it went up to 140 i tried it on a meat thermometer. xD

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 3:53:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You may not want to say publicly where you are but I encourage you to either do that or private message me and let me know. If the law where you live says your landlord has to deal with the problem, you may be able to get help in enforcing this.

You are much better off if the building gets treated properly by an experienced professional. It sounds like more than two treatments are needed and in this case, the tenants and management need to be educated about preventing the problem from recurring (which can also be a problem, if they are eliminated and people bring them back in).

(You can send a private message by clicking "PM this user" next to someone's post.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. i dont know what to do

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 12:55:54
    #

Login to Send PM

[name of city deleted at user request] ontario canada we have cocked sprayed and bought covers for the matresse still we are finding them i ment to say we found them on the saturday called my landlord and all the apartments were getting sprayed expect ours. we have put out almost 5 grand not including our new box spring what can i do to get pamphlets out to educate the people in my building without scaring them

and further on what can we do to keep the bugs out? besides bagggin, cocking, daily spraying, i sprayed 6 cans this past weekend and i have been vomiting since i want to move but i cant

it seems like after we get sprayed they go dormant for about 3 months eachtime 3 months later they come back can we callour public health?

it's sad because moneys not a issue in our household and we stil cant get rid of them

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 13:05:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Why are all the apartments except yours getting treated?

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 13:20:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm concerned that you may need to go to a hospital...not call and make a doctor's appt..but go to emergency care...if you are vomiting and weak...it could be serious...

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 13:30:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I missed that. IDKWTD, if you are
    vomiting after applying a lot of RAID (or otherwise having your home treated), you need to seek immediate medical care.

If you used 6 cans of RAID in one weekend it sounds like you may be misapplying and over applying pesticides. This can have negative health consequences and may have negative effects on the bed bug situation too (for example if the treatment causes bed bugs to scatter).

Pesticides should only be used in line with labeling instructions and with appropriate safety precautions.

7. i dont know what to do

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 13:32:54
    #

Login to Send PM

i dont know! i asked the same question and i m fine today but i am sure it was the pesticide that made me sick i still have mucus and abit of a swollen thoart i am going crazy on the inside :(! can i use kerosene i am being treated tomorrow but i have a feeling that my neigbours have them. and i really was upset to find out all apartments were getting done besides ours could it be because we were sprayed 3 months before that and could it just so happend my grandma got bit that night and that following monday they were getting treatments? shoulld i print off pamphlets and drop them infrontof the mailboxes? i need some ideas

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 13:34:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Also you should go to bedbugsinfo.ca (Ontario government bed bug website) to find out more about your rights and who to call to get them enforced.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 14:27:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You should also STOP using aerosol based products. Clearly with 6+ cans they are not working and all you are doing is making yourself and likley others sick.

You need to get assessed and appropriately treated in conjunction with the whole infestation which may includes the homes connected to yours. It may also be that because of the patterns of 3 months gap and then return that you are in fact coming into contact with bedbugs yourself on a regular basis and topping up what is going on at home.

I appreciate that you are seeking quick fix solutions but this is one of those problems where the wrong things can make it harder to get the job done correctly. In particular the Kerosine comment which I will assume is a joke, the effects of doing that however are not a joke and it is highly dangerous and MUST never be done.

You need to stop, sit, have a pop (and let loose the pent up emotion), refocus you head as best you can and read the FAQ's to understand the issue and why its a step by step process that stands with knowledge because this makes up for the lack of experience (good bedbug understanding and knowledge starts in most around you 2,000th case so its understandable why first time self treatment plans without knowledge and insight fall down.

Once you have the basic down you will know how best to work with your PCO, to communicate the issue with neighbours and how to all work together to fix this.

It can seem daunting at first but its all about the understanding.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  10. i dont know what to do

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 14:32:53
    #

Login to Send PM

what are symptoms of pesticide poisoning ? runny nose mucus and vomiting? i want to go to the hospital i guess but if i tell them what i did ect and that its cause of bedbugs wont they just tell us to get out due to infesting there areas? also i have tiny red dots but their not itchy and their in a row but spread out could i be non reactive to them i look every where to find the source i dont think its dust mites we wash our clothes everyweek pretty much a load a day and our sheets get done once a week, we are very clean i put down that powder and we slept good and we are getting sprayed tomorrow. I keep feeeling some sort of guilt if what if i gave them to my ex girlfriend. i feel so ashamed i should have known that they were not gone. The worst thing is my aunt brought the dog down and he slept under the bed that morning we found one we are thinking he awoke the bugs it was three months since our last spray we bathed the dog and out olive oil on his tummy and we filled the tub up to his chest with warm water after i put this clove peppermint oil thing supposed to be all natural on his fur just abit my aunt isnt so clean her house is packed and has 3 dogs 3 birds and a house it would be a disaster if she got them :'(! and she dosnt even know we had them and im so angry my grandma didnt tell her because this is worst than giving someone a std ! does online products work?

11. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 14:34:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Lots of good advice here, but maybe consider starting with a call to P[b]oison Control to make sure you aren't disoriented and need to go to the doctor/hospital.

12. i dont know what to do

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 14:44:50
    #

Login to Send PM

your right i just feeel iv done everything iv could i have talked to my exterminator several times his chemicals dont work and we dont use spray after that for like 30 days or steam i wish they could do a 3 time thing like spray to kill them back 14 days later to kill the nymphs then come back a week later to killl any remaining bedbugs but they only do it twice i have stopped talking to people going out to public places i ride the bus almost everyday and go to school and yes it was a joke im just stuck! i really need help i am feeling so miserable because of this

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 16:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the consensus is you need to focus on the illness right now, which may be pesticide related. Suggestions have been to either call a poison control hotline or go to an emergency room.

You are entitled to medical treatment so if they kick you out of the hospital, I would personally call the media.

I am concerned for your grandmother as well, who I understand has been exposed to the same level of product.

The National Pesticie Information Center has emergency information here:
    http://npic.orst.edu/emerg.htm

(this is in our Resources page under Information about Pesticides, if anyone wants to find it later)

14. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 16:26:01
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are a child living with a parent or grand-parent, it's the parent's responsibility to deal with management and lead the family effort to eradicate bed bugs.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 16:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 4 minutes ago  » 
    If you are a child living with a parent or grand-parent, it's the parent's responsibility to deal with management and lead the family effort to eradicate bed bugs.

That's right, Ci.

I wasn't clear on whether this was an adult grandchild or not.

16. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 16:54:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 22 minutes ago  » 

cilecto - 4 minutes ago  » 

That's right, Ci.
    I wasn't clear on whether this was an adult grandchild or not.

I did say "if".

17. i dont know what to do

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 23:20:09
    #

Login to Send PM

lol no im good im 20 look i m just stuck im good now im not feeeling down im over it im getting sprayed tmrw morning. i was feeeling upset and kinda guilty but i cannot stop it. i dont need help or to tlk to anybody i have talked to some people about it today and i feel better thanks for letting me post here ill keep you guys updated thanks.

18. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2012 23:41:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck tomorrow...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081