Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Likelihood of getting infestation from adjacent unit and cat question.

(9 posts)
  1. Evilbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 17:44:37
    #

Login to Send PM

So a few months ago we had a light infestation from the neighbors upstairs who fogged. Everything has been taken care of. We do have one more chemical treatment in line but haven't seen or had any bites since the first. I was beginning to relax finally.

Yesterday I noticed the office manager and the PCO who originally inspected for my bed bugs go to the apartment next door. I would not be surprised if her apartment was having issues as well from the upstairs issues and didn't realize till now. Her bathroom- kitchen- and dining room/living room are attached to ours. I am pretty sure she didn't fog as my apartment was not inspected like the last time.

So what is the probability of it spreading back over here if she is infested? I know the upstairs was infested badly and the only reason we got any was because of the tenant fogging themselves.
    I did spray a barrier outside my door of the JT Eaton Kills Bed Bugs spray. I do believe it was the residual kind (I had originally bought it as a travel spray to put on suitcases).

Cat questions
    ---------------------
    I did notice one of my cats had a bug on them the other day but it crawled away too fast for me to even get a good ID. My mind automatically jumped to fleas (but after over thinking I keep saying it was bigger than a flea) but I flea combed them and found nothing. I did in fact go and get a topical treatment for fleas from my vet just in case.

My cats are not allowed in the bedroom itself. So that door is always closed. What is the likelihood of bed bugs only feeding on cats when humans are present. I have read mixed things about it all. We have not suffered any bites or seen any signs.

I have a passive monitor on my bed and on my office chair but I am thinking I may move the office chair one out to the couch. No signs on either passive as of right now. I had just recently passed the 14 day mark on the passives since ordering. So this is frustrating to think it may be an issue again.

The psychological damage is pretty severe from all this... I hope I don't have to deal with it again.

2. Evilbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 16 2014 12:32:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay confirmation of infested unit next to us. Management says it looks like it is confined to her bedroom. Not a wall that is connected.

Super frustrated with all of this. Ready to not worry and itch constantly anymore!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 16 2014 14:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like they're on it.

I assume they've verified the fogging woman upstairs has zero continuing issues?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Evilbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 16 2014 16:45:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 2 hours ago  » 
    It sounds like they're on it.
    I assume they've verified the fogging woman upstairs has zero continuing issues?

I know that they checked upstairs a few times via bb dog and verified it clear after the heat treat upstairs. I am not sure if they checked there again after this. They originally brought the dog through the whole complex when the original infestation was found.

The office says the lady next door does a lot of second hand shopping. She apparently has a TON of stuff! So it could be a whole new infestation with nothing to do with the upstairs.

We were planning on not taking the final chemical treatment due to no issues but may now for my own peace of mind. I am ready to not do apartment living anymore! I had always been super careful about bed bugs so getting them from other people not being smart about things just frustrates me. Hoping we are safe this time!! Thankful I have passives up and thankful for this site. I am sad because I was about to post my success story but feel I should wait now since we may get them again :(.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 16 2014 17:46:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, Evilbugs. Secondhand shops are risky and someone could alleviate this by treating purchases (Packtite, dryer, etc.) If she has not been educated about this, hopefully the landlord/PCO will work on that.

6. Evilbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 17 2014 21:36:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hoping so!

I ordered a can of Temprid today since it seems to have a better residual effect than the stuff I currently have. Going to spray it around the perimeter of my apartment walls that meet hers and at the base of our front door.

From what I have read though infestations normally don't relocate or move unless it is large and they don't have enough food (or no food source is available) or self treating is done with incorrect products. Same goes with cats. They won't feed on them unless the infestation is overwhelming or no food is present. Does this seem correct?

Our lease is up in February so I am hoping I can talk my fiance into moving. I don't care if it is another unit in this complex (as they are an awesome apartment complex). I am just so concerned about two apartments so close to mine being so high in risk for re-infestation. Top floor travels a lot and has another house out of state :/.

7. Evilbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2014 15:41:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Sooo.. Just wanted to update this..

Treatment has still not happened next door- It has been over a month. It looks like they are still having to clear out the apartment. I have seen them clear out stuff and taking it somewhere almost every day for a month. I can't imagine having that many things! It seems they still aren't done. The good news is that I think they are treating things with alcohol since I saw them carry in a large jug once. So numbers are probably not growing out of control *fingers crossed*.

I know they still plan on doing treatment and I hope it is soon! Tired of being paranoid. I am normally not so nosy but holy crap I am tired of worrying.

We are monitoring at our apartment still. No signs and I hope it stays that way.

I sprayed temprid outside my door on the carpet. Just to make sure if something falls off of a thing they carry out it won't make it far if it comes in this door. I hate shared hallways.
    We also went ahead and took our third treatment. It has helped calm me some.

Moving is going to happen within the next three months. Thankfully my fiance has realized how unhappy and stressed I am now in this apartment.

8. Evilbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2014 14:09:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay another update.

Got a call from our apartment manager and their treatment is Friday. She said they have them really bad now. Well really bad to them is pretty much anything that needs a heat treatment. They are getting a chemical barrier with a heat treatment.

They are going to be treating our walls that join with theirs. I have to be out of my apartment for two hours. They told me I could just lock the cats up in a room they aren't treating but I am taking them with me. They wanted to make sure and give us a barrier on the wall so that if they are in the walls and run from the heat they won't be infesting us (or dieing if they try to). I always thought the heat drew them in.

I know I am going to be super worried once they start bringing everything they took out back in. Considering they were moving things out every day for more than a month strait and taking it somewhere in their cars. I really hope they don't get re-infested.

We are for sure moving in February! I am totally ready to not deal with this anymore. Though my mind keeps thinking that we could just move into a worse situation D:.

9. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2014 14:32:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The good news is that it sounds like the apartment management and PCOs are on it. Yes, proper heat treatment should draw them in and not disperse them. I've heard that heat treatments works best in company with chemical treatment. It seems to me like they are acting out of an abundance of caution.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,362 posts in 46,556 topics over 141 months by 20,532 of 21,395 members. Latest: Bedbugvaca, jidhvs1, Darrellkking