Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Lights On?

(15 posts)
  1. FranticInPA

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2008 19:40:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello - I am new to this site, I recently found a bed bug in my bed while nursing my 6 month old baby and so I am frantically trying to think of things to get rid of them. I had an exterminator out today and he said he didn't think I had any because he checked the bed and around the bed,walls,furniture and didn't see anything. He told me that typically they are not hard to find or something at least indicating I have them - So I pulled out the rag I killed it with and got lucky and it's body was still in there (smooshed but semi in tact) and he verified that was a bed bug.. so now I am doing all this reading about them and how they come out at night etc - I encased all the mattresses in the house so far - and until I can get something to spray around If I sleep with the lights ON will that keep them at bay? He tells me it is not worth the $1200 he would charge to exterminate and for me to start with the mattress covers and I told him I may buy some of the all natural stuff and put that down - like the do it yourself kits and he said that is my best bet for now because he couldn't find any. ..Any advice is welcome .. I'm going nuts over here... and I think I got it from furniture I purchased 2nd hand - should I get rid of it? Thanks!

2. Overwhelmed

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2008 21:21:01
    #

Login to Send PM

They'll come out and bite you whether the lights are on or not, so I don't imagine that sleeping with the lights on will make any difference.

3. ineedrelief

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 7:56:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm curious cause I'm in PA also..Reading to be exact. And although the furnuture I have isn't second hand, we had a problem back in August and I was cleared then, but a couple of floors had to get rid of a lot of stuff. We're all on fixed incomes in a housing hi-rise and I know alot of people who had to replace thier stuff did so with used furniture. And now I have them. GRRRRR!!! Thought I was in the clear, no such luck. And I can't afford to replace my stuff, so like you I'm looking for something I can do on my own. Good Luck to you and if you hear anything good let me know.

4. FranticInPA

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 8:27:38
    #

Login to Send PM

ineedrelief - 29 minutes ago  » 
    I'm curious cause I'm in PA also..Reading to be exact. And although the furnuture I have isn't second hand, we had a problem back in August and I was cleared then, but a couple of floors had to get rid of a lot of stuff. We're all on fixed incomes in a housing hi-rise and I know alot of people who had to replace thier stuff did so with used furniture. And now I have them. GRRRRR!!! Thought I was in the clear, no such luck. And I can't afford to replace my stuff, so like you I'm looking for something I can do on my own. Good Luck to you and if you hear anything good let me know.

Hi
    I was up searching last night online and I seen something about drione dust - so I think I am going to try and use that. I beein going on sites looking at stuff then I search a review on it then it comes up with all these people saying it's crap etc so this one I didn't find too much negative on .. I think this is what I will try

5. BugsInTO

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 14:11:41
    #

Login to Send PM

FranticInPA - I read your posting. You mention that you have a house and you have already encased all your mattresses. Very good first step.

Your PCO doesn't sound too cool. First you don't have bedbugs, then you do, but nothing can be done about them until they get worse? Keep the bug carcass & maybe get a confirmation (usually Public Health Depts will to a confirm for free if you bring in the bug) and keep looking for more bedbugs.

Maybe get a second opinion from another PCO, preferably one with a bedbug dog. That might give you a better idea of what is going on.

Meanwhile, keep reading the FAQ's. Expecially about applying dusts and pesticides. Be very very careful. Might be best to get a professional to apply with the right tools.
    Your baby is only 6 mos, but will soon be crawling and you don't want him/her getting into it.

I don't know your circumstances, but when my baby was 6 mos old, I was working full-time and spending the rest of my time just managing to get by - considered myself lucky if I got one hour a week to myself. With a bedbug infestation the first six weeks are your best chance to get it under control (whatever that is) so I recommend being as proactive as you can.

So sorry that this has happened to you.

6. faye

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 20:59:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't just encase mattresses! Encase the box springs too if you have them. Box springs are the worst...at least in my experience. It is a huge hotel for them...

7. Jeanette

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 10:54:09
    #

Login to Send PM

FranticInPA, besides encasing your mattress and box spring, it is necessary isolate your bed by placing the legs of the bed in bowls of mineral oil and applying vaseline to the bed legs. That prevents the bugs from crawling into the bedding.

8. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 13:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Frantic: get a new PCO. That guy sounds like a goof. He says you don't have them and then you should him the 'body', and then he says you should do a self-treatment?? Is he actually a PCO for real?

Yep, I second the advice to get a sniffer dog - they can alert to where they're all hiding and contrary to the genius you had in, bb's are DIFFICULT to find for an experienced PCO sometimes.

9. FranticInPA

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 14:45:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I did do both the mattress and box spring then last night I wrapped double sided tape around the legs of the bed and pulled the bed away from the walls and anything touching it - I did that will my bed and my daughters bed and my youngest daughters crib and today we didn't have any bites. I did a search on bed bug dogs and I cannot find anything in my area like that - I live in Bethlehem PA ...

10. Marixpress

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 14:47:06
    #

Login to Send PM

FranticInPA - 1 minute ago  »  I live in Bethlehem PA ...

Down in Bethlehem they're doing time
    Filling out forms
    Standing in line

Immediately made me think of Billy Joel - Allentown

11. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 14:56:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Do a google search for Bill Whitestone(sp?) who trains K9 sniffing dogs in Florida. He has been known to refer people to trainers/dog in their area (if available).

I've read about him on another forum where people are trying to find bb dogs locally too. Worth a shot.

12. FranticInPA

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 20:37:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Marixpress - 5 hours ago  » 

FranticInPA - 1 minute ago  »  I live in Bethlehem PA ...

Down in Bethlehem they're doing time
    Filling out forms
    Standing in line

Immediately made me think of Billy Joel - Allentown

hhahahaha yeah definitely feels like I'm doing time

13. FranticInPA

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 20:38:10
    #

Login to Send PM

losingit - 5 hours ago  » 
    Do a google search for Bill Whitestone(sp?) who trains K9 sniffing dogs in Florida. He has been known to refer people to trainers/dog in their area (if available).
    I've read about him on another forum where people are trying to find bb dogs locally too. Worth a shot.

Ok I will check that out - Thank you

14. FranticInPA

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 20:39:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I was also wondering - When you get bit do you Immediatly swell up or does this sometimes take some time? Cause sometimes I get itchy and scratch and then swell up but nothing was just on me .. unless they are invisible sometimes.. which would really be bad

15. Overwhelmed

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 20:47:27
    #

Login to Send PM

FranticInPA - 7 minutes ago  » 
    I was also wondering - When you get bit do you Immediatly swell up or does this sometimes take some time? Cause sometimes I get itchy and scratch and then swell up but nothing was just on me .. unless they are invisible sometimes.. which would really be bad

They're not invisible. Different people react in different ways, but it can definitely take some time for the bites to show up.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,135 posts in 31,022 topics over 94 months by 13,443 of 20,850 members. Latest: So Mad, joshc, Rossmanmin