Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Length of time for bites to show up

(4 posts)
  1. onelostdream

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 21 2010 19:05:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I remember reading on several different sites that bed bug bites can take up to 9 days to appear. I figure (now lol) that they all got their same information from one site, but I am still curious about it.

The first time I noticed getting bitten, the marks all appeared the next day. There were A LOT of them and they were like little pimples. They stayed for about 3 days before they finally faded and only a few of them were mildly itchy. I could feel the bugs biting and I would slap or brush at my skin and then fall back to sleep again.

Now when I find bites they're mostly welts with maybe the odd pimple-like bite. The welts are quite itchy for the first day and by the second day they fade into pimple bites and stop itching.

But, as I said, I'm concerned about the length of time for them to show up. When I'm home or at my boyfriend's, I only get itchy when I start thinking about bugs living in the bed. If I don't think about it, I don't feel any bites or any itchiness.

I thought maybe the welts were mosquito or spider bites, but when I got a breakfast, lunch, dinner pattern next to a welt I automatically went back to the bed bug theory.

I know some people have had different reactions to bites, but have they taken different amounts of time to show up? Is it possible my bites initially showed up the next day and then changed to waiting several days to appear or am I just hopeful and delusional?

2. NewBlood

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 22 2010 16:16:51
    #

Login to Send PM

onelostdream,

There is no way of knowing unfortunately. I have read information that bed bug bites look different on different parts of your body on different days. You could be bit at night and react immediately to that bite. You could be bit at night - three times - and one of the bites shows up and two of them appear a week later. You could be bit by 5 bugs and get mosquito like bites on your arms the next morning, pimple like ones on your legs the next day and a scattering of other types for the next week or more.

I remember one entomologist said he showed bites for 2 1/2 MONTHS after he was initially bit. Terrible eh? So it COULD be bites from previous encounters with the little guys, but it could be as recent as when the bite showed up on you. I do not think there's any studies into this though - just bit folks reporting.

3. a.allshouse

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 22 2010 18:51:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bed bug bites vary from person to person. The post stage effects are, no reaction, delayed reaction, delayed plus immediate, and immediate. Delayed reactions appear from one to three days up to two weeks.

Hope this helps

Feingold et al.1968
    Armed Forces Pest Managment Board

4. onelostdream

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 22 2010 22:30:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hahaha, I hate to say it but the ambiguity and uncertainty of it all is actually a little nice to hear. Of course I'd prefer a definite answer, but at least for now I can live a bit longer in my semi-delusional stage of "Nah, there's no way in hell they followed me home. Be serious. That wasn't a whole bug you brought home in your pants...that was just a cast skin. And it was the only one......right?"

I do believe my delusions are right. I didn't know about cast skins when I first started researching this so I assumed it was a whole bug that I squished, but really I'm the only one in the house having problems and every time I check my bed it comes back clean...and my sheets and pillow cases are mostly white.

Thank you both so much for your responses. I'll keep that in mind. And I'm really happy (although I feel bad for that entomologist) because I just found another bite on my arm that I am 99.9999% positive is in the exact same location of a previous bite. I assumed it healed, but it's really faint so it's entirely possible it's an old bite that decided to wave at me again.

Thanks again!! ^_^

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,837 posts in 29,349 topics over 90 months by 12,655 of 19,908 members. Latest: bedbugstudent, bbgoaway, ollie