Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Know a good PCO in Dallas/Fort Worth area?

(3 posts)
  1. bugmenot

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 0:11:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I got bed bugs when I had an overnight sleep study done last month. They suggested I take my pillows. They said most people do...It was about two weeks before I noticed bites around the neck, face, chest, etc. I'm freaked out. I already had trouble sleeping. I am already very weak and sleep deprived. I don't have the energy for this eradication process. Who can help me in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Would the sleep study place be liable to help?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 2:04:37
    #

Login to Send PM

First, you must make sure you actually have bed bugs. Other conditions can cause similar symptoms. Our Detection FAQ should help.

Legal action is a possibility some people choose to pursue, but you'd have to consult a lawyer; I severely doubt the sleep study center will help but you should let them know what happened.

I cannot recommend local PCOs but if money permits, thermal is a one-shot treatment and this is a big plus. Vikane gas fumigation may be another option. See our FAQ on choosing a pest firm to do a traditional (spray/dusts) treatment.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bugmenot

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 4 2010 18:21:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for your help. I only had two hours sleep last night (from 6:30AM to 8:30 AM). I still got bitten by 4 or 5 of the little buggers (times 2-3 bites per area). It definately follows the pattern for bed bugs, and I saw my first bug last night. It was light to medium brown, and about the size of a LeSeur pea, but flat, of course. It scooted away so fast, I couldn't hardly even tell which direction it went! I was trying to get the king size bed bug cover (on a queen bed) from saging to the floor. The bug was in a fold on the foundation cover. I believe they are living on the bottom of that cover.

Getting the cover was in itself a nightmare. I bought one locally at Bed Bath and Beyond. I wanted to have it that day to put on the bed after an exterminator did a free inspection. He didn't see any bugs and never called me back to follow up as he had promised. End of that story. But after he lifted the mattress on it's side, I wanted to get the covers right on. Then I discovered that they didn't have the security type strip that the pillow covers had had. So I drove back to the store to exchange them. They didn't have any queen size that were sealed, but they assured me customers just open them to look... so I returned home and started putting them on. When I started to put on the second cover, the one for the mattress, I discovered a dead bug casing smooshed in it! And what looked like blood in another spot! I was agast. I thought I might have brought in more infestation from someone else's house. It's obvious it was used. So I had to then take both covers off and return to the store and exchange them for king, which is the only ones that were sealed. I didn't think about it being so large it would hang to the floor. (P.S. I had been only being bitten by one or two bugs a night based on the number of bites, but the very night of the inspection and cover fiasco, I started getting bitten by about 5 a night (based on the number of "groupings" of bites.)

As a result of all this, there was a long delay in getting the bed covered, which gave the little guys plenty of time to move, and I couldn't vacuum under the bed, because of the huge sag of fabric... Then they just had to crawl back up straight from the carpet to their new, clean bed casing, with lots of folds!

Yesterday I got some "Climb Up" dishes in the mail, to put under the legs. The legs must be their only entrance and egress, so I spent most of the night trying to tape all the fabric up on all four sides to get it off the floor, on both the box and the mattress, including trying to tape and seal off the folds (at first I had pulled out some safety pins to just pin the excess fabric, but as I went to prick it, I realized that would destroy its impenetrability!) I even changed night stands to one that had skinny legs and put those dish traps under them as well. And I took off the light, clock, and my c-pap machine so there were no cords or hoses for them to use as a bridge. (But I really need to use my machine, but there will be a hose and a cord... What do you think of these dishes?

I already had trouble sleeping. I have sleep apnea, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, anxiety, depression, sleep deprivation for 20+ years, etc. I am very disabled and it is taking all my energy and then some just to deal with this issue. I was already only barely functional most of the time. I'm on an adrenalin high now, having only slept two hours, so all this writing doesn't mean I'm doing well... I really need help!

I called a thermal company called Therma Pure Heat, but they said they don't have anyone in Texas. I also spoke to Orkin, explaining that this is currently still a small infestation and limited to one bedroom (no one else is being bitten). They want $450 to come and treat with a 30 day guarantee. The lady wanted me to sign up and pay her without even telling me what I'd get for my money. She didn't seem to know what they'd do to treat and said she'd see if someone could call me next week with that information. Another guy said he might come today, after he goes to an apartment infestation he has been retreating, but it's still active. He uses liquid Suspend, but I have to get the floors steam cleaned and do everything else. I am so disabled that I have stuff lying around. I can't even have the carpets steam cleaned until I muster the energy to move tons of stuff... I called Terminix a week ago but they never called back. I called again this morning, and the guy at the national number apologized and said he'd forward it to the local office. I don't know what they charge or if they are any good. They still didn't call today.

I feel I need to do something soon. I noticed the first bites on May 9th. I had done an overnight sleep study on April 21st. It seems the likely source, but what about the time gap? I have called the sleep center, the medical equipment company and a bedding store I went to during the two weeks before I started getting the bites. No one else has complained, so they all claim no infestation.

If you or other members have any advice, I'd sure appreciate it. If you want to post this message in another portion of the site, that's OK. I am not very "forum savvy." I don't even know for sure if I'd be able to find anyone's response. After my short first message, I'm sure this one is a shock. Sorry for the length, I need help, and need to explain, and need to vent.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,806 posts in 43,548 topics over 131 months by 19,076 of 19,668 members. Latest: tireddddddd, bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1