killed one bed bug on my mattress, zero other signs

(8 posts)
  1. amilucky

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 0:48:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, thanks for reading! Last night I was reading on my bed when I saw what looked suspiciously like a bed bug crawling across my mattress. I squashed it and was horrified to see red stains on the paper towel (blood? mine??). I did an immediate freak-out and inspected everything in my room for other signs, but found none. All of my bedding is white and looks immaculate, no blood stains, bugs, or any other signs. I have no bites as far as I'm aware, but where could this one lone bug have come from? Am I perhaps one of the lucky ones who brought a stray home and successfully vanquished it? What's the next best step to take here? I'm trying not to have a panic attack...

2. Paranoid mama

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 10:52:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I Also first saw one bed bug on my hubby's pillow and thought this was just a stray bb but for the last three weeks we have been waking up with bites. I have also been in a state of panic and have been vaccuming nearly evryday then last nite i saw another one on my baby's chaning table am freaked out. am hoping i can find a good, green, diy solution. coz we cant afford a pco now.
    maybe you should do an inspection of ur bed especially the box spring

3. Cricket

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 14:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Not everyone has re-actions to bed bug bits so you may not even know if you have been bitten. I would recomend an inspection.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 16:54:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Lucky, welcome. Yes, terror is a normal reaction. It's possible that you have a hitchhiker, or one or more refugees from a treated neighbor. You also need to verify if the bugs you're seeing in bed are actually bedbugs, not something else, like spider beetles. Do be vigilant and if possible, get inspected by someone who is reputable (I e, not just gonna declare "bedbugs" and put you through hell to make a sale). And don't overlook under your mattress, inside your box spring and behind your headboard. You'll find lots of resources (check the tab) and support. Be vigilant and get knoledgeable.

Cricket, welcome aboard, too. From your profile, you're an industry pro. I hope you'll be sharing your observations on how this situation is developing in your area.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 17:56:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Meant to add. People on the board would probably say that BB roaming freely is a bad sign.

6. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 18:16:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Danger Will Robinson danger!! While it is possible to have one bed bug you need to go on high alert so if there are more you can react quickly. Try to analyze where you have been and what is going on. With a bit of luck nothing will develop but if it does hopefully you'll be ahead of those who only found out once a n infestation is well established.

7. BedBugGuru

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 21:00:24
    #

Login to Send PM

AmIlucky....I think we have a problem here. If you see them crawling around, you probably already have them. I used to work in the pest control industry.

If you have seen one bed bug on your bed, you have seen one bed bug too many. If I ever saw a bed bug crawling on my bed, I would freak out! As someone that has been on many inspections, I know just how bad they are!

Did you pull up your mattress or box springs? If you haven't done this, you haven't done an appropriate inspection. I recommend taking a good long look at what you have there.

If I was a betting man, I would bet a $1,000 that you have bed bugs. I am that sure that you have them. They can hitchhike with you, but if you see them crawling on your bed, that is NOT likely.

8. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 1:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I notice you said red stain. I think you would have used the word blood if that's what you think you saw. Lots of bugs can squish reddish. Did you keep the specimen? Have it ID'd by a pest control company or an entomologist at your natural history museum or a lab in a local university.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,847 posts in 29,352 topics over 90 months by 12,656 of 19,909 members. Latest: bbgoaway, ollie, konjonashipirate