Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Killed about 107 BB last nights, sleep deprived and waiting for PCO consult #2

(30 posts)
  1. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 7:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not joking,armed with 91% alcohol spray bottle I killed 30+ on the walls, ceiling, and carpet and 70+ on the bed. I slept with one light one so they would usually approach from the darker corner of the bed where i'd see them come over the corner and onwards towards me....shoot shoot dead. I was able to continue this battle until about 3:30 when sleep finally won then I was up and outta there at 6 am.

I even took 2 tylenol PM to try to get through a night in my room (I had two previous bite free nights on the couch downstairs). I am doing everything possible to keep them contained in my bedroom and not wonder to other parts of the house. The PCO yesterday couldn't find signs or casing anywhere outside the bedroom. To make matters worse I have family in town but they are going to get a hotel room (after I inspect the room) and tonight I think I may go to a hotel too....I have not slept in over a week!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 9:34:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The only thing I'll say is YOU NEED TREATMENT ASAP!! And unless you want your whole place infested, stay off the sofa. Maybe the vets here can give you more advice. Good luck and God Bless.

3. JJocracy

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 9:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

kjdrga, I know how you feel. I've been dealing with the whole sleep thing for a few weeks, some of which I slept on a friends couch because I needed to get the sleep. Otherwise, really I either have to stay up late and just crash or get drunk enough not to care and fall asleep. haha.

Maybe someone can help me here, but I read somewhere about someone putting the feet of their bed in bowls filled with water to deter them from climbing up the bed from somewhere. Really they are pretty pathetic bugs, slow and can't fly or jump. I tried this on the dining room table (yes propped a matress up there and everything) because I figured it would be free of bugs initially. Well I still got bit, but now sure if its because they were already in the table or whatever. I wrapped the matress and everything too.
    Afterwards, I read online that the bugs can walk through water... Anyone hear anything like this?

I also heard that certain oil you can place around your bed which deters them, but not kill. Might be good to use to keep them concentrated in your room. Neem Oil I read works well, although I have no idea what it is. If nothing else you can pour all over your body. Gotta do what you gotta do...
    Good luck!

4. hatebedbugs

Banned

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 9:48:28
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have got tat many you have a serious bed gug problem. And I mean serious. Look the bottom line is that the pesticides available today do not kill the bed bugs and for sure they do not kill their eggs. A vikane encapulated treatment will kill bed bugs but, not the eggs. Not to mention it is very expensive and requires the residence to be sealed. The answer to killing bed bugs is to find out where they are finding harbor. And the only technology that can do that is a specialty trained bed bug dog. Then once they have benn located one then applies the steam and I dont't mean they steam that is produced by carpet cleaners. That is not real steam. What carpet cleaners say ios steam is just a misnomer. The steam application should be 221 degrees at the tip. You might want to contact bed bug k9.com to see if they can tell where a some one is with dog

5. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 9:54:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I am waiting for Company B to come out and they provide k9 service but they were suppose to be out yesterday and got delayed then they were suppose to be there by 9:30 am now it's 10-12. I told the receptionist that this doesn't look good for them if they can't communicate with a potential client.

Yes I can imagine I have a serious problem as at the moment from what the inspector yesterday could tell they are contained to just my bedroom.

But I'm telling you I feel like taking the cat ans sleeping in a hotel tonight.

6. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 9:59:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Vikane fumigation whether it is chamber or structural, kills all life stages including eggs when done properly.

7. hatebedbugs

Banned

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 10:02:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You need to determine if the dog is certified to detect bed bugs. You need to aquire history of the dog, handler and find out where they obtained the dog's training. And contact some former clients who have been satidsfied with their results.

8. hatebedbugs

Banned

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 10:32:43
    #

Login to Send PM

At least the responce from who I am assuming is a PCO person didn't deny the value of the use of a specialty trained bed bug k9. The fact is that the internet is repleat with individual experiences using Vikane with bed bugs eggs unsuccessfully. Though an approved poison, why would want want to poison their house. FDA approves drugs all day that are determined latter to have been intermental in killing people. The PCO industry needs to become honest and open on how ineffective the chemical technologies are in dealing with the resilience of the bed bug and their eggs. Steam is effective and benign

9. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 10:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hatebudbugs are you affiliated with the website you mention? If so, please read the terms and conditions of the site. Do you or have you gone through an infestation or are you a professional in the field?
    I believe that bed bug k9's can be a very useful tool in detecting bed bugs, but I don't believe they are what you state "the only technology that can do that is a specialty trained bed bug dog."
    One thing I found interesting on the site you just mentioned is that it shows a Flea in the upper right corner of the front page of the site. Not soo good when they are advertising for bed bug detection only....
    Bottom line, IMO, get a qualified, experienced PCO to come in and inspect. If infestation is believed to be low, IMO one can do much research in finding a good qualified and certified K9 team. (It's not just the dog that gives high quality detection, but a very experienced handler with a good relationship with that k9) There are some very good k9 teams out there. But I would get a well thorough physical inspection first to rule out the obvious. Obviously the person who put this bedbugk9 site together doesn't know much about bed bugs if they have a big flea on their front page.
    No, not a PCO...just someone who went through a very heavy infestation last year. DId much research as I could and after many treatments found the best fumigation I could and had our house structurally fumigated. Vikane is deadly when in use, thus done by professionals. It dissipates very quickly, leaves no residue. Perfectly safe when cleared out of the home and is not poisoning your home any worse and in imo much less than constant reapplication of pesticides. Steam alone will not solve an infestation.

10. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 10:43:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a townhouse (built 1966) so Vikane is probably out of the question. An according to the county health department due to the block mason between each unit it is highly unlikely that the bugs will travel between units.

However I must say I did hear my neighbor vaccuming at 1:30 am last night (they work odd hours and do their housekeeping at equally odd hours - but couldn't help think BBs there too?) I'm too ashamed to even talk about this with neighbors yet very vocal to my HOA and County health dept.

I've heard some good feedback on the Company B that has trained dogs, however at this time I just want the inspector out there to access the situacion if the we get the dog it will be on the next visit etc.

Anxiously awaiting PCO.....

11. hatinglife

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 12:34:27
    #

Login to Send PM

just want to say, omg, bless you and i'm thinking of you!
    and, vicane and canines UNFORTUNATELY, are not available everywhere.
    i'm in chicago and haven't found any co.s that provide either service and i have been looking for 4 weeks.
    hope things get better!

12. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 18:50:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Good kill rate, my best so far in a vagually normal property was 198 counted dead the next morning which equated to about a 95% reduction in activity in 48 hours.

It's not nice to think about but the fact remains that to see so many they had been in the property for some time before you had noticed or treatment started.

I think everyone else will bear witness to the fact that the longer they remain undiscovered the longer it may take to get rid of them. Although from a personal perspective I actually find the annoying one or two that hang on for ages are the msot frustrating to deal with, partly because you are never too sure if its a lingerer or if someone is bring them back in to the property.

Hope you get some rest soon,

David

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 20:07:09
    #

Login to Send PM

hatebedbugs,

I have previously warned you, privately via email, not to spam the blog comments or forums with advertisements for your own service.

This time I am responding publicly, because it is not your first warning.

I have asked you to read the Terms and Conditions.

This is your final warning. I am also sending this via email and private message.

If you do not honor the terms and conditions of the site, you will be banned. It will not reflect well on your business.

And Paula is correct. As I said here, on May 7th the insect on the bed bug dog inspection website you mention is a flea. You might want to have that looked at.

If you actually read this site, instead of only commenting, you would be better informed.

Just as a refresher, below is the email I sent you on 6/19:

---------------------------

You just violated Bedbugger's Terms and Conditions of use with your advertisement in a post.

Read this if you want to participate: http://bedbugger.com/terms-conditions/

This is the part I am concerned about in your case:

FOR THOSE WHO SELL PRODUCTS OR SERVICES

People who provide bedbug-related products and services are welcome to read and comment on the blog. Disclosure is a good thing. However, advertising is only allowed by arrangement and in the space provided.

Do not advertise in the forums or in the blog comments; do not spam us with links to your product or service, or post comments that are veiled sales pitches.

(Enquire by email if you’re not sure what’s appropriate.)

Never talk about your company as if you are a customer (yes, we can tell, and it will be very embarrassing for you when we do). We reserve the right to bill you for commercial space used by you if you ignore these warnings!

----------------
    Otherwise, professionals are welcome to participate in the blog and forums, and many do so in a helpful manner and in accordance with our site policies.

Thanks!

nobugs

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 22:15:55
    #

Login to Send PM

For Paulaw0919...I was interested in what you said about using Vikane for your home. We're only 2 weeks in this, didn't know that they could use it for your whole house. The posts I've read have people put their belongings in a pod or truck.

Could you elaborate a little more on this or PM me if it's easier. It sounds like a miracle. We might not need it, but still I want to know. Thank you!

15. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 22:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL hatebedbugs... You’re not even close!

16. verysad

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 0:02:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I like the picture of the dog looking at the bed bug photo. I'm sure the dogs smell them out, anyway it's kind of cute/funny

17. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 7:11:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been trying to stay away general information threads like this one lately because there are a lot of good, experienced people using this site that usually set misinformation straight and take care of the general questions. Unfortunately, this thread is littered with it and I couldn't help myself.

kjdrga,
    Why on earth are you using k9's at this point? You've already said you've counted 100's on the bed in one night. I guess you could inspect the rest of the home to see if they've dispersed but with an infestation that severe, I'm sure they did and who knows how the dog is going to react to an infestation that high. Dogs are not trained to detect in situations where the smell is overwhelming like that. Imagine going into a room with the lights off and someone hiding in it with perfume on. You could probably pace the room, pick up the scent and find them. Now imagine going into the same room with an entire bottle of perfume sprayed everywhere. That's the analogy to think about.

JJocracy,
    The fact you heard about putting the legs of the bed in a cup of water is true but it's soapy water or vegetable/olive oil. Soap breaks the surface tension and the bugs will drown. If it's just water, some aren't heavy enough to break the surface tension and will just float, eventually making it back to the surface of the cup or on to the leg of the bed. Also, your experiment may not have worked with the mattress on the dining room table for a bunch of reasons. Maybe the table was infested (a little weird if a dining room table was infested), maybe the mattress had bugs on it you couldn't see, maybe the bites you think you got that night actually happened the days before and you didn't see a visible reaction until that night/morning, or maybe the bugs dropped from the ceiling. Yes they can do that and I've seen them do it (as creepy and amazing as that is).

As for hatebedbugs, my advice is to disregard their posts. It sounds like they have an alterior motive for business reasons not to mention the information they are writing about is inaccurate and just plain wrong. The things they wrote about Vikane is inaccurate, it does kill eggs and you are not poisoning your home. I could tear their posts apart but it's just not necessary. I would disregard what they are saying.

18. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 8:14:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Belle, I pm'd you about our experience with vikane fumigation. I'll be happy answer any questions you have, based on what our experience was and what I've learned.
    Kjdrga....Bugolist is giving good advise about k9 detection. If you're infestation is that high that you are killing that many...you don't need a k9 right now, and chances are very good that the bugs are definitely NOT isolated to that room.
    I understand that you were told that it's unlikely the bugs could spread from one unit to the other...but personally, especially if you own a townhouse..I would touch base with the neighbors and get their homes inspected just in case.
    If you brought the bugs in, fine. If not, fine. But reality is that if not treated properly, the bugs can spread to other units, infest neighbors, and then you eventually get reinfested anyway. If you're getting them from another unit, the bugs will not fully be gone until that other unit is treated. It's possible to rid bed bugs, but it takes a lot of work and time. There's people here for you for support. Continue with getting a reputable PCO for inspection and treatment.

19. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 9:28:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: Company B came out (without the K9) and I like their approach to treatment vs. Company A. They have a certified dog and handler who will come out on Monday, not to tell me there are bugs in my room but to go over the rest of the house and look for hotspots. I will have the entire house treated as they recommend and by doing so they are giving me a discount on the price of the dog (or rather a credit on the treatment). 1st treatment will be on Tuesday.

If I would like I can also take all my furniture to a chamber they have for treatment, we'll see what the dogs finds in the rest of the house.

Last night consisted of cleaning and trashing as much as possible out of the infected room and we put the mattress encasements on as directed by the PCO, they will remove and treat mattress and box spring and put encasements back on. Bed in the guest room will be treated as well as a precaution. They will do 3 treatments and there is no warranty.

The company has a dedicated unit just for BB's for the past 2 years. They are planning to go into thermal treatment in the future. They seem very knowledgeable regarding the type of BB we are dealing with in this area and what products/treatments work better than others.

Out of the 3 companies I interviewed Co. B seems to me to have a holistic approach to this infestation which is my view as well. The other companies only said I needed to treat a room or two.

I slept on the pull out couch again, a bit less fearful and am looking forward to going away this weekend with family. My luggage ONE Ziploc bag. As my mother (who has helped tremendously these past few days) said this is a blessing in disguise. I will pair down all the "stuff" I have and live more simple and eventually bug free.

p.s. Until now we had not seen any bugs outside my room - well last night just before bed there was a little one in the guest room and a bigger one on the hallway wall...made me even more resolute in my decision with going with company B.

20. nightshirt

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 13:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

wow. that must be a whopping infestation but it seems like company b could be knowledgable. what chemicals are they going to use? that is important and i dont see that info here. also - be careful sleeping out. i did not do that. any hitchhiker could go to your moms clothes and she could bring it home - or whoever it is. or infest the hotel room. not kool. let us know how monday goes.

21. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 14:13:19
    #

Login to Send PM

They will use Onslaught, Drion, Sterifab. They will steam mattress and carpet as well.

We are very meticulous of entering in and out of the "quarantined" bedroom. It's like a hazmat zone, we use a bucket of alcohol to dip our feet in as we exit then straight to the shower and shower with clothes on, then wash everything. All bedding and clothes are washing daily. We are spraying our shoes as we exit the home. An we have been basically living out of the same two pairs of outfits for the last couple days.

Her luggage never came into the house and has been in the car since she arrived, she too has joing Ziploc nation....

All hotel rooms will be inspected and I am taking flashlight and alcohol with me.

It may be extreme but anything to prevent them from spreading or coming in.

22. nightshirt

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 15:04:22
    #

Login to Send PM

i was never of the school that alcohol prevents anything. the lease movement from your routine the better, at least for me it worked that way. i mean i never would have thought of having people over, going out or having a life while i was in the throws of infestation. i kept to myself and my home. i mean people who are so careful move and take them with them. i think the less places you go during an infestation the better. crazy

23. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 21:14:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Company B does sound pretty decent. The only gripe I have is using dogs to identify hot spots, which is fine, but hopefully they are not treating based, and only based, on the dogs results. We know dogs can miss bugs and if the dog misses and they are treating based on what the dog is telling them that's a recipe for disaster.

They should be treating the entire structure and every area that is necessary knowing the bugs biology and behavior and then using the dog for additional information.

24. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 21:44:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow...I thought my infestation in the old building was bad. I only found about 40 bugs within a three week span. Sounds like the company you have picked is a really good one. I hope it works out for you.

25. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 28 2008 0:39:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Gypsy,
    I think it's safe to say that if you saw 40 bed bugs, your infestation was pretty bad too.

Bugologist,
    Thanks for your contributions here. What I dislike most about occasionally having to play cop is that it distracts from the more important discussions taking place.

26. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jun 29 2008 22:36:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Re the original post, where do you get 91% alcohol spray? Or is this rubbing alcohol poured in a spray bottle? I want some to spray our shoes and such.

I also read about people using Bedlam, is that better for shoes and fabric than alcohol? Thank you.

27. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2008 1:21:12
    #

Login to Send PM

>Re the original post, where do you get 91% alcohol spray? Or is this rubbing alcohol poured in a spray bottle? I want some to spray our shoes and such.

belle - You should be able to buy the 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in your supermarket or drugstore. Some is 70% and some is 91%. Then you pour it in a spray bottle. It is a contact kill, meaning it won't get bugs that aren't exposed.

28. Musikal19

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2008 6:07:33
    #

Login to Send PM

wow, personal hand attack on bugs, and interesting way to handle it

29. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2008 9:40:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Fight, we'll do that just in case.

30. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2008 11:08:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Dog comes out this afternoon....tomorrow treatment starts - Yeah!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081