Kill them for less than $5

(5 posts)
  1. Lessthan5bucks

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Mar 6 2011 6:50:33
    #

Login to Send PM

All you need to get is silicon gel cat litter, powder it in a food processor, put it in the cracks if your mattress and around the legs of your bed that touch the floor.

It cost me $4.77 to get a bag of it at Walmart. I crushed it in my food processor and put it in a plastic bottle I could squeeze with a tip on the end, so it poofs out of the bottle. I used one from my old hair coloring stuff. Poof got it spread today.

Tonight I caught 4 bed bugs had them in a small jar put a tiny bit of the powder in with them and in about an hour the were all dead.

My apartment complex kept having me pay for their exterminator to come since last November. The bugs never left. And I couldn't afford the heat treatment or to replace everything I own, I am so pleased to see this killed the one's I caught.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Mar 6 2011 9:47:29
    #

Login to Send PM

People. Please do not follow the above advice.

"All you need" when discussing bed bugs, is a very dangerous phrase. If there were a simple solution to bed bugs, we would not be having the societal panic that's happening. BB are reputedly a difficult pest to get rid of, thanks to its conservative lifestyle, ability to hide very well and relative immunity to a lot of chemical substances currently in use. "All you need" is a convenient throw-away that lazy landlords can toss at hurting tenants or negligent innkeepers can fob off on an exposed guest who's in for a world of hurt down the road. I've seen "all you needs" for dry ice, cheap steamers, kerosene and "dichotomous earth". Even the high-end "silver bullet" treatments, like Vikane or heat have a host of exceptions that can't be treated and prep work that not all victims can easily complete.

Silica, be it as "gel" or diatomaceous earth is a very important element in BB control, but not a cure-all. It can also be a respiratory hazard. Also the fine powder can clog motors and the like. Making this yourself risks kicking up silica dust and hurting your food processor. Also, how do you know if you've gotten it to the right consistency? This has been discussed in the past on the forum, triggered by a YouTube video where a guy demonstrates grinding up the pellets that come packed with a lot of products to keep them dry. I think you're better off buying a ready made product and following the appropriate precautions. We have a FAQ on silica/DE that's helpful. I'm also concerned that people will not fully comprehend what you're suggesting and end up buying/grinding the wrong kind of kitty litter.

Also, the trick of silica is not that they kill bugs instantly, but that it's placed, sparingly, where bugs are likely to pass on the way to or from feeding or where they are likely to try and hide. The trick with BB is not to blast them with something and watch them die. You can do that with many detergents as well as a napkin. BB tend to hide where we can't find them, so eradicating them takes a little "strategy" and often, a multi-pronged approach.

We have a good FAQ here on bed bugs and an excellent Resource page, with fact sheets and guides from universities and public health authorities. These are inportant resources in the fight against BB, whether you do it yourself, or go with a pro. If you can read one guide, I'd recommend the "State of Michigan Guide". It's an easy read and has extensive resources regarding inspection and treatment.

Disclosure: I own shares in Walmart.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 7 2011 2:25:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Grinding cat litter has always struck me as one of the most pointless and far out ideas for fighting bed bugs. After all, diatomaceous earth is formulated for treating pests, must be comparable or cheaper pound for pound, and does not require grinding. (If you're going to use DE, please do your research and know how to do it safely and effectively. The FAQ on DE is just a start.)

This cat litter suggestion is also potentially dangerous, for reasons Ci explains. Please do not do this.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 7 2011 16:26:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanna know what setting you use for cat litter?

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 8 2011 18:53:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Another similar post on another thread from the same poster was recently deleted.

The original post above, despite being bad advice, has been retained so people can see the suggestion and responses. I did this because it is not the first time this "suggestion" has come up (though others have been deleted in the past) and it may help others to see it refuted.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

285,412 posts in 47,493 topics over 146 months by 20,948 of 21,258 members. Latest: Nwkent25@gmail.com, Camilleparker, lamachina