Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Just wondering...Is there anything they don't like?

(12 posts)
  1. wonder

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 23:04:10
    #

Login to Send PM

So, here I am playing bait to the little F-ers. The landlord treated the first time, but since I haven't gotten bitten, only found and live Instar, they don't want to treat again yet.
    Mind you, as soon as I found that Instar my bed was an Island in bowls with double stick tape surrounded with DE before you could say bed bug!
    So, I'm laying in bed, forget trying to actually sleep, and I'm thinking, There HAS to be SOMETHING that they don't like.
    Not what will kill them, just something that makes ME taste bad to them.
    Garlic? Shrimp? Curry? Ice Cream (LOL, one can dream a little right?)

Obviously I can't sleep in a bed of DE, or eat it, but if I eat enough Garlic you can tell from a block away. There has to be something, maybe?!
    I read something somewhere that they found killing BB that have been feeding off someone who drinks a lot can be harder to kill. I can't find it again or I would link it, sorry.

Anybody have any similar thoughts, info or ideas?

2. barelyliving

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 23:16:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I read a thread here once where a guy said his girlfriend's blood thinning medication killed them. But that's probably illegal to take without a reason.

People in the health food industry swear that Brewer's yeast makes you yucky to fleas, I've been meaning to try it with bed bugs, but it's also yucky to people.:X

3. wonder

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 23:23:07
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL, at this point I would eat Liver and Lima beans!

ps, no offense to people who like them!

4. bait

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 20 2008 12:39:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Excellent topic. I was wondering the opposite, is there something I am doing that attracts them? I eat sweets everyday and wonder if they like sugar. We know they prefer women; could it be estrogen?

I had read that taking iron negatively affects bedbugs, but that's ditto for humans so I am hesitant to take it. A recent NY Times article spoke about vitamin B not working in numerous experiments with mosquitoes. A systemic repellent is the only option; deet only forces them to bite in areas that you don't want them.

5. omisbliss

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 20 2008 12:58:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Wonder, what's wrong with liver and lima beans?

6. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 20 2008 14:42:06
    #

Login to Send PM

They apparently hate Neem oil. I bought some, but it stinks so bad, I can't wear it.

7. shockedshocked

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 24 2008 22:22:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had great success slathering my entire body (except scalp and soles of feet) with baby oil before going to bed. (Pay special attention to fingers and toes!) Then when I leave the house in the morning, I spray with kids' OFF! (7% DEET) -- I seem to have a population at the office, too. On days that I do both these things, I don't get bites. I'm also taking Vitamin B1 (100 mg) 2x a day -- that seems to reduces the intensity of the welts.

8. cb

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 24 2008 22:40:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Neem is stank but you're supposed to dilute it anyway. you should put 5 drops (which means i used 8-10) of PURE neem oil into a 1 oz spray bottle. i was doing it for a little while and wasn't getting bit...but i think they just hadn't spread to my room yet. now that i am getting bit i don't want to use it because i'm logging bite counts. i need to know that the PCO treatments are causing the bite decline and not the neem. but if you're getting bit bad...i say go for it! just shower in the morning!!! stank!

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 24 2008 23:09:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I am concerned about Neem because people claim it repels bed bugs. Repelling them (with this substance or any other) may seem like a good idea, but remember that it may affect your treatment. You could drive them deeper into hiding within your home, which only makes them more difficult to get rid of.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. Iwannaknow

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 26 2008 1:36:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Well hello there!

This is my first post (glad to know this site exists, though I wish I didn't have to find it). I'm at the point where I'm about 90% sure I have bed bugs: my neighbours upstairs recently had problems and I've been waking up with nasty bites that resemble the pictures on this site...but I still haven't seen any of the effin' critters!

I've found that applying Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil (which is known to be a common insect repellent) all over my body before going to sleep is very effective in preventing the bites. After the first series of bites I got (a whole bunch on the back of my thigh), I did this for about a week to avoid getting any more; then I forgot to do it for a couple of days and the bites instantly reappeared, this time in a straight horizontal line on my shoulder blade.

So anyways, I can say that this treatment has been quite effective, however the bugs seem to have moved towards my roommate's bed, as she is now complaining of bites!

Well I'll be reading through the FAQs these next couple of days and will post if I have any other questions.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 26 2008 2:29:22
    #

Login to Send PM

iwannaknow,

I tried SkinSoSoft too. Lavender, tea tree. None of these things will keep them from biting.

12. Feaf

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 22 2012 21:28:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Freshly ground black pepper seems to stun them for several minutes so I guess it is worth a try.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,013 posts in 29,383 topics over 90 months by 12,672 of 19,930 members. Latest: bbgoneextreme, Lito, emitchy