Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Just treated for Bed Bugs...do I need to replace my mattress?

(2 posts)
  1. JNYC82

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 16:21:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

About a week ago, my roommate and I started noticing stains on our sheets. Neither of us were reacting to bites, but since we know not everyone reacts, we hired a bed bug inspection company to bring in a dog to inspect. Sure enough, the dog detected bed bugs arounds our beds and in our closests in the bedrooms.

We've since had the rooms treated with both cryonite and spray and cleaned all the clothes, bags, sheets in the infected areas (clothes not going back in the rooms until after the second treatment). The exterminator said that we did not need to replace the mattresses or spray them with anything; he said that mattress encasements would be enough. I already had them, so he said to just leave them on. My roommate has since purchases them.

My question is whether or not we should replace the mattresses anyway? I got encasements last year because my office building had bed bugs, and I wanted to be safe. However, for all I knew, I already had some bed bugs to begin with. Should I be concerned that they may have gotten out of my bed if I already had them? Is treatment around the encased beds enough? The encasements were quite expensive ones that I got from Protect-a-bed. Should I steam treat the mattresses in addition to the treatments in the room? When the dog inspects again, will he be able to tell the difference between bugs trapped in the encasement and ones that aren't?

Also, I had another question on shoes. Is there a good way to treat shoes when they can't go in the dryer? What if I used a blow dryer inside the shoes to kill any possible bugs in there?

Would love any advice!

2. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 16:51:08
    #

Login to Send PM

The use of bed bug certified mattress encasement's is enough. Don't add to your loss. Two of the most widely accepted bed bug proof ones are, Protecta Bed & Mattress Safe. Sleep tight.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,601 posts in 31,237 topics over 95 months by 13,513 of 17,222 members. Latest: Wasteidd, kittykat123, acaris