Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Just had Terminex come today, still seeing alot of bed bugs.

(7 posts)
  1. worseorbetter

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 27 2013 5:00:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Some background first. I got bed bugs a few months ago and waited far too long to get it treated. I sleep on a couch in a rather big room and they completely infested the couch. I got rid of it and that reduced them alot and Terminex came today but I'm not seeing much of a reduction at all. Like, without exaggeration, as I was typing this I found one hanging out on my foot and saw another one crawling up the wall. I aware that it takes some time for the poison to kick in but mostly what I've read seems to indicate that it should just be a few stragglers while I've already seen dozens. I'm getting a new couch on Sunday and I really don't want that to become invested as well. It also took a long time to bag up all the clothes in the house and I really don't want to have to do it again. So I guess I'm asking how normal is it to be seeing quite this many? Did the guy do a bad job? As I said, I realize a few stragglers is normal but I'm still seeing alot and I'm also pretty sure Terminex will wait at least 2-3 weeks before coming to try again.

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 27 2013 7:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

First - call the company and speak with a manager/supervisor and demand they return asap to deal with what they haven't already.

Second - make sure to keep anything you heat treated, clothing or anything else for that matter, sealed up until you know your problem is resolved. The idea of decontaminating something and sealing it into bags is to not allow bugs to crawl back into these areas during treatment. Not just at the time of a treatment but for the duration until you know you're clear.

Third- I wouldn't bring any new furniture into the house until you know for sure your problem has been resolved. If you start sleeping and or resting on a new piece of furniture that hasn't been treated (with a residual insecticide) it will most likely become infested quickly.

After treatment you should see a dramatic decrease in activity if things were done right. I don't know how much money you're in for but you may be better off with a different company if you're not seeing better results.

Good luck!

3. worseorbetter

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 27 2013 10:32:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply. I called Terminex this morning (I called them last night too but I got a call center person) and they said that the treatment has them in a from of retreat right now so especially in the cases of a large infestation, it's normal to see some. They said that the places that they usually hide are currently poisoned so they don't want to be there so they're running around poisoned themselves, dying. Hopefully he's not feeding me a line because they also said they won't come again for at least 14 days and the couch is being delivered on Sunday and there's not much I can do about that.

Either way I'm going to go out buy more rubbing alcohol.

4. worseorbetter

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jun 29 2013 5:55:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to update, I have seen a reduction in Bed bugs but I'm still seeing them. Not in the huge number I once saw them in but I still woke up this morning with a bunch on my pillow and they seem to still be pretty active at night. The chances that the Terminex guys won't have to come again is pretty low.

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jun 29 2013 12:24:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear worse,

KQ has already listed some sound advice above. However, if you cannot avoid or postpone the couch delivery you should be willing and able to seal the couch in a bed bug proof protector such as a "sofa safe" or wrap/seal it in a suitable plastic tarp/sheeting such that bed bugs are not able to infest your new couch.

As far as seeing "post treatment" live bed bugs, simply stated, this should not happen.

The bed bug treatment goals should include:
    > To preserve the customer's assets.
    > To prevent the customer from being bitten tonight.

To accomplish this means that the work conducted must be entomologically sound and thorough.

Techniques such as vacuuming and steaming kill bed bugs immediately.

While some insecticides may take hours or days to product mortality, others kill bed bugs within minutes or less.

The "math" you describe is problematic as follows:
    bed bug treatment conducted + customer still sees numerous live bed bugs immediately after treatment = "well be back in two weeks"

This is not a suitable response nor would I expect that you'd get such a response from a bed bug competent company such as KQ's or others who are proficient at bed bug remediation work.

Now, if you are the one who paid for this service I agree with KQ as he stated above and you need to continue to call for re-services until you have zero bed bugs. However, if this service was paid for by the LL, then you also need to contact the LL as well such that the LL can advocate for your additional services.

By the way, it may also be useful for you to inform us of the "details" of the bed bugs service conducted thus far.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  6. worseorbetter

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jun 30 2013 1:17:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not really 100% sure what was done. I asked them what they were going to do but the guy had a thick accent and I had trouble understanding everything. I wasn't in my house at the time or anything so I didn't see how thorough they were. I think they did the freezing thing and then I think they sprayed all the edges with the poison or something like that. I think the main problem here is I know they the bed bugs aren't just hiding in the edges. Like when that night I found a bunch hiding under my computer speaker (where they keep showing up). I saw some furniture overturned when I got back so I like to think they treated the individual furniture but I'm just not sure.

The thing is my house is very large and pretty cluttered. We had another place come before that we've had deal with any problems before and the guy refused to do it because of the clutter. I spent alot of time cleaning up and the main room they're in is pretty clutter free, but there's still placed for them to hide in the room and way more through out the house. I'm still trying to clean more but Terminix claimed they could take care of things and we really don't' have much money. This was ALOT for us and they only have 90 days and right now I"m fearful that they're just going to half ass it for 90 days and then walk away with $1650, while I still have god damned bed bugs.

7. worseorbetter

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 1 2013 12:35:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to update, it appears what they used was Temprid SC.

I talked to them again today and they said the same thing about how the reason I'm seeing more bed bugs is because they're being chased out of their hiding places and are now more in the open.They also said they are in fact coming to do a respray in a week in a half. Right now I still don't fully but right now they 're supposed to keep coming back for at least 90 days and I plan to get the most out of that until then and if none of this works I'm going to raise hell.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,190 posts in 29,412 topics over 90 months by 12,685 of 19,944 members. Latest: glinsar, WhoCares2014, hbastion