Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Just found bbs, need advice!!

(4 posts)
  1. stelletoile

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 7 2010 20:44:16
    #

Login to Send PM

i just moved into a new apartment on 8/27. Last week (8/31), i found a bedbug crawling on my bed and promptly called my landlord who then heat treated and sprayed the apartment the next day. i've been afraid to go back there ever since however and have been staying at my boyfriend's bb free apartment (without any of my belongings) since i found that one bedbug. i had never had a problem with bedbugs before this new apartment and when i was talking to my landlord, it seems that other units in the apartment building had called him complaining about bedbugs as well (which leads me to believe they've infested the entire building!)

i have been trying to rid them of my belongings in the best mode possible: drying all my clothes for 30+ minutes in the dryer (without washing them first) and then space bagging them immediately, throwing away all my bed linens, pillows and old clothes in clearly marked bags, as well as bagging all of the clothes i had been wearing to my infested apartment and immediately showering once arriving at my boyfriend's place. i think i've been doing that right (but let me know if you have any suggestions please!!!)

the only thing i am worried about are my books. i have a huge collection of books and really really really really really would not like to part with them, even though i'd rather be safe than sorry. i just bought textbooks for my classes (which started today) and i'm just wondering if, since i had only stayed there for less than one week and my belongings have only been there for less than 2, if my books should be fine and ok to use?

i would also like to try and get out of the lease (without breaking it if possible) and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. this is really interfering with my daily life as i have been consumed by nagging thoughts of what to do, stressed and worried constantly and is now posing a threat to my academic life.

ANY ADVICE AT ALL WOULD BE HELPFUL! thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 7 2010 20:54:08
    #

Login to Send PM

You can heat treat books with a PackTite device at the rate of around 2-3 running feet every three hours if memory serves me. Concept is like with the clothes -- heat treat, bag, and then wait until things are all clear. Alternatively people have used DDVP strips thrown into air tight bags with the books. With this approach you're probably better putting the books into plastic containers (not too tightly) with the DDVP strips and then bagging the containers. You should get better air circulation this way. Three weeks treatment is the guestitmate many are using.

Lastly, if you live somewhere hot, you could try using the sun's heat, either outside or in a motor vehicle. In either case, there are two important things you want to address. First, make sure the books are bagged to prevent any bed bugs from infesting the treatment area, such as your car. And second, you will want to monitor the temperature inside the bag and make sure that it reaches 120 degrees and holds 120 degrees for at least an hour. To do this, purchase one or several indoor/outdoor thermometers and place them inside one (or several) books in the middle of the bag. Basically, this is what you will be doing with the PackTite where the same type of thermometer is included. There may be other time/temperature formulas but I'm using the one that PackTite often uses.

Richard

3. stelletoile

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 7 2010 20:59:03
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you richard! i will look into the ddvp strips as i don't have the money to spend on a packtite device. thanks again!

4. controlfreak

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 7 2010 22:01:54
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have a big book collection, you are going to need many plastic containers to "loosely" pack them and get strips for each box. Those strips are not that cheap. Then you need to put them in big bags and worry about airing them when you are done. Calculate how much you would spend on plastic containers and that many strips and big plastic bags then look at packtite's price again. Also it will decease your washer/dryer expense and will be useful in the future when you travel. It became my best friend the last 3 weeks...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,370 posts in 44,500 topics over 135 months by 19,513 of 20,193 members. Latest: friendlyroommate, Unlucky, Elfinserious