Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Just checked into a hotel. ID help, please.

(7 posts)
  1. bugswillpass

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu May 18 2017 14:58:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    I've just checked into a lovely hotel and done my usual checks. The mattress and sheets are clean, no fecal evidence but there was a bug on the seam of the mattress which has me very worried. It was tiny and I squished it trying to get it out to take a photo. To me its shape looked liked a bb but it's very dark. I don't know whether to leave or not because my mind tells me I'd see a bb in everything. I'm sorry the picture is beyond terrible but if anyone could offer some insight I would be so so grateful. I rarely go on holiday for fear of bbs and I won't sleep unless I know it's not that.

2. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu May 18 2017 15:40:27
    #

Login to Send PM

The pictures are not really clear enough but to me (a non expert) would say not a bed bug but possibly a beetle. Maybe you could get a better picture that is up close and focused as much as possible.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu May 18 2017 15:50:31
    #

Login to Send PM

It's really hard to make out in the photo, but from what I see the one antenna is not the correct size or shape for it to be a bed bug. The head is also too large to be a bed bug.

Bird dreams are not admissible in court.
  4. bugswillpass

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu May 18 2017 18:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you bbbugme and bigdummy, I really appreciate your replies. They have given me some peace of mind. We've decided to stay in the hotel (much to my boyfriend's relief - he'd rather get bitten than make a fuss!).
    Thanks again!

5. bugswillpass

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 19 2017 3:23:11
    #

Login to Send PM

So this morning I checked the mattress and sheets again and found another one of the bugs which I was more careful not to squish. Can anyone ID it? Before I zoom in it looks to me like a bb but closer up something else...that lives on mattress seams?

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 19 2017 4:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like a book louse, not bed bug. The previous pictures might just be larger book lice.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. bugswillpass

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 19 2017 5:38:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Great! Anything is better than bbs. Is it common for booklice to hang out on mattresses?
    Thanks, Loubugs!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

255,482 posts in 40,908 topics over 125 months by 17,901 of 18,292 members. Latest: TheLastUsername, risal, Abm1789