Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Itchy all over, but no bite marks or raised welts

(8 posts)
  1. stillnervous

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 27 2009 19:29:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had two treatments so far and thought it was getting better until today. I'm feeling itchy all over my legs but I have no visible bites. Is this residual or does it mean the bed bugs are still alive and biting?

2. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 27 2009 20:34:05
    #

Login to Send PM

It's so hard to answer these questions because it really could be either one. But if you aren't showing any signs (bite marks, or raised marks) I'd hope for the best and blame dry skin. Oh, wait, try moisturizing your body with lotion. Sometimes when I use moisturizer the bite marks would show up -- or the itching would just go away. Either way, you might have your answer.
    Kate

3. UptownBedbugger

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 1:27:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in a similar spot. I just had my fourth treatment over the course of two or three months. I thought everything was peachy, now I'm getting a mix of itchy pinprick marks and raised welts. For the most part, they're showing up one at a time, not in the usual groups of two and three, and the don't bother me nearly as long as what I used to recognize as bedbug bites. Is this a resurgent population coming out of hiding deep in my couch? Is it some youngsters that hatched after the last treatment?

Treatment is complicated by the presence of my two 13 year-old cats...for their safety, I've been shuttling them over to my parents' place while my apartment has been getting sprayed, but I hate doing that to them and I usually wind up spending the night over there, which of course opens up the possibility of my bringing them to another home. I'm thinking to buy a bag of DE to spread on my couch and the top of my bedspring, and the carpet underneath. Is it safe to use this with cats at home? I'm told you should vacuum up the DE after 4-6 hours, but will the bugs bother coming out if there isn't someone sitting on the couch while the stuff is out there? The cats won't confuse it for litter, will they?

So tired...

-TJ

4. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 3:34:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I use DE all the time, in relatively large amounts, for one year now. I've had no ill affects. My cats - one is also 13 - have not exibited any problems. They do not confuse it with litter. It doesn't get piled on like that. I apply with a pastry brush, which reduces its airborne capabilities. Everyone on this board will tell you to apply lightly, except Diatect Results directs you to dust the "bedstead" "liberally". I think it's safe and works very well; however, I always dust with a face mask on, with windows open. Long term exposure can cause silicosis, but that's generally associated with other forms of DE.

It kills all other creepy crawlers and flyers, too.

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 14:32:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Why still piles after a year? Are you BB free?

After the last PCO treatment I puffed DE into the voids, sealed them and, apart from a lingering roach problem in the kitchen that needed a different approach, I seldom find any insects.

Jim

6. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 21:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Spidey, I've got mystery bites -- for over two years.

I apologize for not being clear. I meant the DE should not be piled up so as to confuse Kitty that it's litter.

7. DeathToAllBBs

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 21:40:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been itchy all over just from worry that I've brought them home from work. No bites. No bugs that I've seen. But still itchy all over. I think it's the anxiety of it that triggers itching.

Have you ever had someone tell you about bugs or something and then during the conversation you start scratching? That's what I think happens to some of us. I still itch for no apparent reason other than these things are on my mind. So it is possible that having dealt with them you're just in that mode of thinking about them and it makes you itch.

8. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 2 2009 8:44:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Death, you make a good point. I get itchy every time I'm reading these boards! Ah, the power of suggestion!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,297 posts in 29,427 topics over 90 months by 12,696 of 19,958 members. Latest: huntelaar1999, gonzoateafly, Steve Tidebeck