Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Itch Relief: Preparation H

(8 posts)
  1. nycbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 21 2009 7:55:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I have tried several different itch relievers and I have to say that Preparation H with Cooling Gel seems to be the best so far!

It takes the swelling down a little bit and definitely takes the itch away better than cortisone cream - I see that it has witch hazel in it, which I've found to soothe the bites as well.

If you're suffering from big, itchy welts I think it's worth a shot trying out Prep H! It's clear, which is a bonus for those of us with bites on our arms & necks.

http://www.preparationh.com/products/gel.asp

2. BugZapped

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 21 2009 8:06:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thannks for the tip. I'll try it.

3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 21 2009 8:59:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Although tempted to go for the cheap shot of don't let bed bugs make an ass of us, I did have a
    girlfriend who in her modeling career used Preparation H along with several others for blemishes and other cosmetic purposes. Although don't leave the tube around if you don't want comments.

4. need 2 sleep

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 1:53:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I just started getting bit recently and was using Benadryl creme. The other day I got a bite and put a pimple remedy on it that has salicylic acid 2%. Not only did it work better than anti itch cream but it also kept the inflamation down and the bite went away much faster that all the others before. I used Neutragena sore pimple gel that worked great. I bought another brand with same ingredient to carry around by Clean & Clear and that was NG. It was watery and ran all over. Try Neutragena, its a cooling gel and stays put. Its a blue color but on the skin you cant see it.

Good luck.

5. OCDthx2BBs

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 2:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I took lukewarm baths with a cup of corn starch and/or baking soda & soaked all itchy areas for at least 10 min. I got hives from my bites, and the baths really helped me stop itching for several hours. It was the only way I could get any sleep at night. Vinegar, benadryl spray and gel, oatmeal, cortisone cream and calamine lotion didn't work for me. If you ever get bit or get hives on your scalp- I put a few drops of tea tree oil in my shampoo and it worked great at stopping the itching too.

6. need 2 sleep

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 13:01:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow OCD sorry to hear of your severe bite reactions. My boys and I get hives and as I said above I found that Neutagena pimple gel worked great to stop itch and inflamation. As long as we can keep from scratching the bites wont get worse and infect. I will certainly keep your remedy in mind if we should get hives from the bites.

So far they haven't gotten us on the scalp. Mostly arms, legs and feet. I've gotten bit on the neck, chest and on my cheek. The back of my neck is a terrible place for me to get bit because my hair would get on the Benadryl cream and I want to cover the bites with my hair. Thats when I got the idea to put the pimple gel on the bite I'm sticking to that brand and getting a tube for each member of my family to carry around. The bites literally dissapear and dry up fast with this stuff. I don't want to get bit at all but at least I can deal with bites I can hide.

7. need 2 sleep

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 13:02:28
    #

Login to Send PM

OOOPS sorry. I mistkenly wrote that we get hives, I meant WELTS.

8. OCDthx2BBs

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 17:20:05
    #

Login to Send PM

@ need 2 sleep- I got the hives on my scalp The hives would magically disappear during the day and reappear in different places every night for 5 nights which I read is typical for hives. I've been bitten on my hand, sides, legs, and back. I've been bit a total of 20 times over the course of 3 different occasions in 2 weeks that I know of. And my 2 yr old has been bitten twice- 3 times the first time and once just yesterday on her arm. She gets the big swollen welts and it breaks my heart. Our beds are isolated but I think either one crawled up her blankie (she always has it half on and half off the bed which keeps me up all night fixing it) or from our couch but our couch was steamed 2 weeks ago and has dust in the cracks of it so I don't know which place they're getting her at.... I feel weird saying this but I cant wait to see my PCO tomorrow for our second treatment! I will be cleaning and checking everywhere again tonight to see if I find anymore evidence.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.