Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Itch Relief

(14 posts)
  1. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2009 12:56:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Giving my 2 cents worth here.

For itch, I've tried over the counter stuff, not useful for me as well something prescribed by my allergist. Again, did nothing, but helped my husband.

Bought a small bottle of WHITE FLOWER OIL from a Chinese herbal shop (under $2) and took away the itch instantly. I pretty much only need to use it 3 times a day. Menthol/Eucalyptus like smell. Not bad. It also seems to me that if I put that on the moment I react, the reaction isn't as bad. No scientific proof but seems to work for me.

The other product is a Thai talcum powder - PRICKLY HEAT POWDER. Cost about $3 for a large bottle. Available at any thai grocery store. Initially, when I was bitten, my husband wasn't. A week into it, I started using the powder all over my body when I go to bed. The bugs went to my husband. They don't seem to like the eucalyptus smell or whatever smell there is in the powder. Very minty too.

Just my 2 cents worth. Thought to share esp with those who are highly allergic like me (largest welt is approx 12 inches long).

2. DeathToAllBBs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2009 16:01:50
    #

Login to Send PM

If people have welts that large, they really need to see a doctor and get a couple of prescriptions. I know someone that had a bad reaction and he's on two different scripts. One is a pill (prednisone I think?) and I can't remember what the other was. I think one was for the histamine reaction and the other was for possible infection from scratching. But the doc will know what to prescribe. I'd recommend seeing a doctor before trying herbal remedies. You have better odds with simple prescriptions.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2009 16:11:31
    #

Login to Send PM

bbfiend - 3 hours ago  » 

Just my 2 cents worth. Thought to share esp with those who are highly allergic like me (largest welt is approx 12 inches long).

Gotta agree with DtaBBs that a 12" welt is a pretty scary reaction to anything much less the bit of a 5mm insect.
    You should speak to a doctor about that level of reaction.

Jim

4. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2009 19:44:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I am already on a daily dose of allegra, been on this for almost 3 years.. so.. see already am on medication and the prescribed cream/gel from the allergist isn't helping too.

maybe they are considered alternatives to you guys, but they are things in my culture that I've grown up using, more than 30 years.

5. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2009 19:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Appreciate all your suggestions though.

My "method" worked for me, but may not for everyone else.

6. hatebugssomuch

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 9 2009 15:36:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I found that a "100% Australian Tea Tree Oil" stops the itching and the bumps don't swell up. It's quite stinky though, but you only need to apply it once a day! My bites swell to the size of a tennis ball, and the oil is the only thing that helps.

7. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 9 2009 18:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

may try that too.. tea tree is a good product for general bites, that much i know....thanks!

8. kayrich

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 14:16:45
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI for bites: I bought some spray stuff from the exhaustive bedbug/parasite/morgellon's internet site in Louisiana. It's called Mitactin. It smells like mold and instructions are to spray your entire body from neck down for 4 days straight, then you massage this gel stuff into the bad bitten areas. It worked somewhat but my experience was it took my skin off in unusual places where I didn't expect to shed and the dry skin was worse than the bites. I would not recommend it's use. I [i]would recommend getting shea butter soap, neem oil shampoo and using plenty of unscented skin lotion like a Nutraderm or even just plain vaseline and wearing long sleeves. KR

9. KILL_ALL_BEDBUGS

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 15:36:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't know if this has been suggested yet, but the only thing that worked for me was ice

10. nycbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 20 2009 16:21:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I found that wiping the bites with Witch Hazel really helps. I also put Preparation H on the bites to reduce swelling and relieve the itch. I have to reapply, but it's better than nothing. I can't believe how itchy these bites are!!!!

11. Deathlyallergic

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 28 2009 1:08:37
    #

Login to Send PM

IM DEATHLY ALLERGIC!!
    I found this out with out warning, and the over the counter cortisone, benedryl, aveeno nothing works.
    I want to try this Thai Talcum power, sounds like I'd rather wear that than the deet OFF spray, not so desireable, but I CAN'T afford to get bites, Im already on my 3rd round of steroids, prescript antihistimine, Atarax, and inhalers. As the bites cause my throat & eyes to swell shut, very large welps, and constricted breathing with heart palpitations.
    I have done everything to destroy these things so far, that USBedbugs.com customer service suggested I join here for more help.

12. Deathlyallergic

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 28 2009 1:10:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Deathlyallergic - 32 seconds ago  » 
    IM DEATHLY ALLERGIC!!
    I found this out with out warning, and the over the counter cortisone, benedryl, aveeno nothing works.
    I want to try this Thai Talcum power, sounds like I'd rather wear that than the deet OFF spray, not so desireable, but I CAN'T afford to get bites, Im already on my 3rd round of steroids, prescript antihistimine, Atarax, and inhalers. As the bites cause my throat & eyes to swell shut, very large welps, and constricted breathing with heart palpitations.
    I have done everything to destroy these things so far, that USBedbugs.com customer service suggested I join here for more help.

To add to that I found out from my exterminator that sulfadiazine cream used mostly for severe burns helps with itching and swelling, so far I think he is right, my doctor agreed, its by prescription only

13. AsSoftAsSilk

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 21 2011 23:43:53
    #

Login to Send PM

For itch relief I use tar shampoo or soap Nutrogina has one on the market but a cheaper and just as good one can be picked up at Family Dollar. I found this out while treating my dandruff and eczema, and it also allotted me more sleep. Hydrocortisone cream worked real well at clearing up my daughters bites she reacted worse than me. Hope this can help bring some relief.

14. BitteninBoston

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 11 2011 23:46:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Beta-Val is a cortisone cream that relieves itch but my doctor warned me that it will thin the skin, so I've stopped using it. Something called Sarna, non-prescription anti-itch cream, works pretty well. I'll try the Chinese remedy. I find that wearing long sleeves/pants to bed only causes them to bite my face and neck which is worse.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.