Isopropyl Alcohol

(22 posts)
  1. mrbill0626

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 23:13:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's a couple of things I have been doing.See what you think:

I have been spraying things around my place with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (in a spray bottle I bought at Walgreens for about $2.00). Like, at night just before I go to bed, I'll take off my clothes and put them into a plastic garbage bag. Just before closing the bag, I shoot a few good sprays of alcohol into it and then close it tightly.. I am hoping that any eggs that may have gotten onto the clothes will be killed by the alcohol and its fumes.

Also another idea I had was, in case there are any bugs and/or eggs in my car, I would set it out in the sun, close all the windows and just before closing the door, shoot a few good sprays into the front (and the back also).

Any comments? Could alcohol harm any surfaces? Sound like good/helpful ideas?

Thanks

Bill

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Oct 13 2007 11:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

bill,

We've been told by an entomologist to use 91% isopropyl alcohol, not 70%. It's a little harder to find and a little more expensive, but still cheap. You should probably get some.

However, alcohol is a contact killer. Even with the right stuff, you have to spray them directly: see a bug, spray it, kill it. Spraying a bit into a bag or a car will not do it. It is not the fumes that harm them. They are way more resilient than you are giving them credit for.

Warning: alcohol is flammable. People have burned down their homes while attempting to treat bed bugs using isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Be careful!!!

Alcohol can also harm some surfaces.

This is not a plan for eliminating bed bugs.

Please read the FAQs which contain a lot of useful information for you.
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs

You can also click the FAQs button below.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. mrbill0626

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Oct 15 2007 19:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Will 91% alc kill the eggs too? Aren't the eggs easier to kill than the adults?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Oct 15 2007 23:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

The eggs are harder to kill. I have asked someone about whether it would kill the eggs and will post when I hear.

In any case, while they may be useful to kill bed bugs you do see, using a contact killer alone to fight bed bugs will not solve the problem. It is impossible to directly spray all of the actual bed bugs. Alcohol & kleen free only work if the bed bug is sprayed directly. You need residual and mechanical killers if you are to be successful in killing your bed bugs. Your landlord really does need to get a professional in.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2007 12:33:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Mrbill,
    I checked with Lou Sorkin (entomologist). He does not think anyone has studied this and thinks it probably would not kill eggs if simply sprayed on. I may be wrong, but I believe only Bedlam _claims_ to kill eggs and even then, only if sprayed directly. The fact that even traditional professional sprays don't kill eggs is why you need the follow ups at 10-14 day intervals until all bites and bugs are gone.

6. buggeroff

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2007 13:04:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I used BedLam in my car over a month ago and, although it didn't bother me, a fair-skinned friend of mine developed a rash on the backs of her legs last weekend after a ride in my car. I'm betting it was the BedLam. Needless to say, I was afraid to tell her what it was or why I put it there! I would NOT use it on clothes.

I also noticed that the smell of the BedLam, though not strong, persisted for several weeks in the car after I sprayed. This even though I normally travel with windows open.

I'll have to look at the can to see what it says about eggs - I can't remember. I was hoping that it simply had enough of a residual effect that it would kill newly-hatched nymphs.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2007 14:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks buggeroff,

Just to be 100% clear, I was not recommending Bedlam, esp. not in lieu of a contact killer like 912% alcohol or kleen-free. Bedlam is not for these uses. And, as always, do not use any pesticides outside of what's recommended on the label. I have heard others mention using it in a car, though I am wary of DIY pest control, and cars seem even more dangerous to me, since they're enclosed most of the time.

I am not even recommending Bedlam for other uses, since I don't have any personal sense of its usefulness. I only mentioned it because I was making the point that no other pesticide, to my knowledge, has data to back up the fact that it kills eggs. (Again, I am not suggesting this is good data, either. I am skeptical of the idea of killing eggs, since they have to be sprayed directly, it seems like a longshot from the get-go.)

8. mrbill0626

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 19:58:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs:

It sounds like you would not recommend using Bedlam to spray in a car, am I right? Is there anything else you can recommend to do that?

Mr Bill

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 22:30:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you think you took the bed bugs to your car, MrBill?

10. mrbill0626

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 22:59:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't know. Just want to be sure. I have not seen any bugs in the car, but couldn't I have transferred eggs there? Or am I just worrying too much?

Bill

11. nomorebugs

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 0:14:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not certain, but I don't think Bedlam make any direct claims about killing bedbug eggs. I did read this claim on a web site by the a university in Pittsburgh and another site. The figure was around 87% of eggs will not hatch. But do NOT depend on this.

As NBOM states, it best to get at least two PCO treatments. The second treatment to kill the nymphs that hatch from eggs. You might have to more then two treatments, I've read that typically three treatments have to be done. There are statistics PCO's keep.

People this is serious. Do research. Believe in the consensus. Don't believe in any miracle silver bullets. Don't be alarmist. I've come to the realization that you must fight an infestation ASAP in proven way. Don't waste time on claims that sound too good to be true.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 1:27:41
    #

Login to Send PM

nomorebugs,

http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/bed_bugs.htm

The Penn State fact sheet you cite says this:

"Bedlam® has been shown to have ovicidal properties with up to 90 percent of bed bug eggs not hatching."

That may be where we got this idea.

However, PCTOnline was more skeptical about egg-killing (1/2007):

http://pct.texterity.com/pct/200701/?pg=32

And I can't find any links to the study itself, though I believe I saw it a while ago, you do have to take them with a grain of salt. For what it's worth, we did have mixed reviews from people who used Bedlam.

I agree that people cannot depend on any sprays killing eggs.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 1:31:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Bill, you're more likely to have "transferred" bed bugs than their eggs. And while this is possible, I would not worry. What I would worry about is your home, which needs thorough treatment by a professional.

If that is underway and you appear to have carted them to the car, then you can worry about it while the home is being treated.

Is that happening now?

And are you taking precautions to avoid spreading bed bugs to your car, to other people, and other places? If not, those FAQs are listed under travel (but also apply to every day life.) You may still be able to avoid infesting your car.

14. Bistec

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2008 19:11:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Can bedlam make you sterile? Will I be sterile by all these pesticides?

15. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2008 12:24:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Be careful around ignition sources with alcohol and don't operate heavy equipment.

16. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2008 14:21:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I steamed and vacuumed my car a few times but did not think that any pesticide would be a good idea to use because the car interiors are to compact. I know that I mention steaming alot but I do believe that tactic can and does kill bed bugs and eggs and fleas and carpet beetles but of course the steam must come in contact and be hot. Also the rash on your friends leg,could it be bite reactions?

17. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2008 14:51:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Dry steam is always a good tool as you point out, as long as you contact the little suckers. I could go either way about the rash or it could be unrelated.

18. quazar5000

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 15:43:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I'm dealing with a bed bug infestation (landlord-hired exterminator has come 3 times already). I have hardwood floors in my room with quite a few crevices and cracks between the boards that I fear the BBs could be hiding in. Is it advisable to dump some alcohol into these cracks, or perhaps, soak my entire floor? Your thoughts would be appreciated. I've seen alchols effectiveness as an on-the-spot killer so I was wondering. Thanks!

19. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 16:53:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing you can do about your wood floors. Some have varnished. I believe that there is no way that you can totally seal up your house. What you can do is vacuum, steam and strategically place some DE of course only well after you have had an exterminator do his thing. It is a long battle and the epidemic is growing in numbers. If you soak your floor you run a risk of your floor warping.
    Look into steamers, the correct amount of heat will kill bed bugs and their eggs.

20. missme

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 25 2012 15:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's the thing. I have had a long running problem with bed bugs and have used rubbing alcohol to kill them but as many before me have said, it only works with direct contact or saturation. But i have discovered with the 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, if you spray your pillow's, pillow cases, blanket's and around your mattress they stay away for the night (and for the day since they come out mostly at night with you're sleeping). Once you see that the number if marks or bed bugs that you see have gone down, when you see one, dont kill it right off, see where it goes because it might lead you to where their "nest" is; that's what i did once and i found the babies, the eggs and a whole lot of adults, i saturated that with the rubbing alcohol and they went away until we got new upstairs neighbors (considering i live in a duplex). I have been looking for natural solutions other than rubbing alcohol because of the obvious fact that rubbing alcohol gives off a very foul odor (though it only lasts a little while, breathing it in while trying to spray cant be healthy and the other people in the apartment dont like the smell either). Ive recently came across this site theherbgardener.blogspot.com/2009/05/get-rid-of-bed-bugs.html Full of natural remedies for home and travel. I have yet to try them for lack of money to get the 'ingredients' to make it, but when i do i will definitely be back here to let you all know or maybe you'll have a chance to try it before me and let me know. Anyways, i hope it works out.

21. Saturn

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2012 15:03:59
    #

Login to Send PM

This is bad advice. Rubbing alcohol has no residual, and once it has dried it will do absolutely nothing to keep bedbugs away from your pillows or bedding. Also, the essential oil spray and herbal sachets on the blog listed above will be completely ineffective. Don't waste your time. Look through the FAQ on this site and you will find much better advice on dealing with a bed bug infestation.

22. No More Bites

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jun 18 2014 7:12:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I use 70% isopropyl alcohol to kill bed bugs. It works just fine. I even dilute it with water. kills them dead.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,678 posts in 31,249 topics over 95 months by 13,519 of 17,231 members. Latest: wunderful2, Nastybug1, Fozsbear