Is this bed bug bite or eczema??

(7 posts)
  1. livinginanightmare

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2009 16:56:40
    #

Login to Send PM

So long story shot we found 2 bed bugs in our bed and 2 in our baby's co sleeper.. we have washed everything OVER AND OVER.. Vacuum everyday, most the time two days a day.. wrapped mattress in covers.. We even went out and bought alll new bedding, & pillows for our bed..
    We never got bite by them from as far as I could tell.. but this this am found this on my babys arm.. is it bed bug bites or eczema? just a little note baby has always had eczema, but nothing like this on his arm

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z141/Candiflip3/June22nd20094crop1000.jpg

2. livinginanightmare

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2009 17:49:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Man, no one?
    I just got off the phone with a pet control company.. they pretty much said once you find one.. they don't go away with out treatment,.. is this true? This truly is a nightmare! I was also told that it is very common in apartment buildings.. we only moved here 3 months ago and bought allllll new funiture when we moved here.. the pets guy said they might of been already here or next door... or even down the hall and just made their way to us. Even wore treatment could be like $400+ to get rid of.. I'm just ready to break down and cry.. before I would want to crawl in to bed and cry.. but now my mattress is up again the wall wrapped in cover.. I constantly feel like bugs are crawling all over me since I saw the first bug.. and it only gets worse because I am bipolar.. I really don't want to go in to a full blown psychotic episode.. I have a 5 month old baby to take care of..
    Please any advise, help appreciated!!

3. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2009 18:23:44
    #

Login to Send PM

hi livinginanightmare:

i have eczema, and it can look different at different times. to me, that looks more like a bite than the type of eczema i usually get, but it's really hard to tell from a photo. perhaps check with your pediatrician to be sure?

check with the tenancy board in your area, in many places the landlord is required to pay for the treatment. you should be letting them know regardless if you think you have bedbugs. i know that it's really stressful, especially in the early stages when the amount of information seems overwhelming, but perhaps a good place to start is with the bedbugger Frequently asked Questions:
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs/

take a bit of time to read thruogh the information there, especially the dos and don'ts. it will help you to avoid making mistakes in dealing with the infestation (if you do have one). have a pco in to inspect, and you will have a better idea with what you are dealing with.

please keep in mind that while a bb infestation is stressful, they are not impossible to get rid of. treatment from a pco is the first important step. sometimes you will only need two treatments (spaced two weeks apart). in some instances you may need more, but your pco will best be able to determine that.

i'm sorry that this is happening to you, i know how stressful the first few days are. i have always had trouble with anxiety and so i sympathise with your feelings. deep breath, call your landlord and pco, and start reading. it will all be okay.

4. cantstandbedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2009 18:25:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello livinginanightmare,

I feel bad because no one has answered your post. And I don't think I even have an answer for you. Because truth is that is not easy to tell if the bites on your baby is a bedbug bite, mosquito bite or some other bug bite or eczema. I don't even think any one can tell honestly (not even a doctor). I can only tell you what I went through. A few month ago I started suffering from this mysterious rash on my arms, hips, legs it no were near resembled a bug bite. It iched and burned like you wouldn't believe I couldn't even shower in hot water or used my regular soap it burned so bad. I went to the doctor and she asked me if I changed laundry detergents or soap I used to bathes and it just so happened that I did change laundry detergents. She just gave me a cream and send me on my way. So for a few months I thought that's what it was. I have very sensative skin that reacts to any little thing even if I've been using that particular product for years. Anyway my mom and little nephew suffered from the same rash at the same exact time so I figured it must be that laundry detergent we wash all our clothes in. My nephew doesn't live with us and he only got the rash when he stayed over our apartment. A few months later I saw a bug on my bed (it didn't occur to me that it was bedbug at the time). Then..one morning when I woke up to go to work my mom told me that she woke up around 3 am with a whole bunch of roaches crawling allover her body. I immediately though bedbugs. But I didn't see them so the next day she saw one in the bathroom and called me and I took a good look at it and my worst fear was confirmed it was a bedbug. I capured it to show the exterminator etc. But I will tell you that I did start to notice bug bites on me that differed from that mistery rash. They looked exactly like moquito bites but they iched more intensely than a mosquito bite and the itch would last for weeks. I would scratch my skin off until it bleed and found no relief none. As for the mystery rash it seems that it comes and goes for all these months I would say about 6 months now. My theory and I maybe wrong on this that a few months ago when I got that rash and everyone else sleeping at my house at that time was a bad reaction to the bedbug bite. This is my first encounter with them in my entire life, so I guess that is how my body reacted to first bite (or couple of bites). Also depending on where they bite me they look just like moquito bites instead of a rash. If they bite my tummy, legs , butt (yes these things crawled in my damn pants in my sleep) they resemble mosquito bites on certain parts of my arms they resemble mosquito bites but if I got bit in that rashy part its like the rash reactived because it comes back full force..
    Yes its true these creatures from hell will not go away without treatment and that is best left to the pros.
    Anyway my advice to you is to see if your landlord is suppose to pay for treatment. In certain states the landlord IS SUPPOSE to pay for treatment of bedbugs..look into that. Try to capture some specimen (a bedbug, eggs etc) to show the PCO, lots won't treat without evidence that you have them and showing them bedbug bites might not be enough (you might find info on FAQ about this also) Then isolate your bed and your babys bed. I think in the frequently asked question you can find information on isolation. Note that this will not get rid of an infestation but at least it will help keep these vampires off of you and your baby while you are in bed and minimize the bites until you get this treated and they are eradicated completely. That feeling they are crawling on you yes a lot of people that have bedbugs suffer from that too (me included) I too felt like crying, you are not alone on this a lot of people are going through the exact same thing you are we do understand what you are going through right now.

5. livinginanightmare

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2009 18:59:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for your answers..
    And you know what.. RIGHT when we moved here I was getting crazy rashes.. hives.. bumps all over.. and what I thought was misquote bits.. was told by dr it was just allergies.. but they never went away.. would keep me up at night itching like crazy.. allergie meds did not work that much either.. Just makes me think that Pest control guy was right, they were waiting here for us! I'm going to talk to my husband about it tonight when he gets home, but that's pretty useless as he thinks it's not a big deal.. WE do have a friend coming over tomorrow who is a pest guy.. he is going to look around and let know know what needs to be done. I am not in the US, I am in BC Canada.. so not sure the rules on landlord paying here. We will be moving out in a few weeks and I don't know what to do.. I DO NOT want to take these things to our new home..

6. DragonFlight

banned

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2009 19:08:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Those bites appear to be Bed Bug bites, they are a fair size. Since you mentioned you already have them the odd are against you that they're not bed bug bites. Bed bug bites can itch for a long time, it's because of what they put inside of you while they suck your blood, remember they have two tubes one injects the stuff so you don't notice there bitting you the other sucks your blood.

7. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2009 19:15:15
    #

Login to Send PM

SOrry to hear that you are going through this with an infestation. As for telling with bites....it's soo hard to tell especially since you may have caught it before you are all seeing "multiple continuous bites" on people in the home.

I have three children. Two have on going cases of ezcema that flare up from time to time. Our infestation was two years ago, but even today, now that we play outside, their skin sensitivity can drive me a bit nuts as to what "could" be going on. Recently my son got this "rash" that spread all over his stomach, back, and neck. I did my googling (not always a good thing to do) and according to pics I found I would have bet my house that it was scabies. Well, low and behold it was pityriasis. It started off a little blotchy like the one dot on your photo.

The reason I state all this is because that though "bites" are a good indicator, they are not the rule. And imo, especially with children. It's important to study, memorize and keep to the FAQ's on this site as to what and how to monitor and look for the signs of bugs and the bugs themselves. If I were to go by bites or what looked like bites alone, I would be convinced today that we never got rid of our bed bugs. In the 2 yrs (thank you God) that we have been bug free, there has NEVER been a 60 day period where no one in the house has not had a "bite" or "some bites" marks on one of us in the house.

This site is a wealth on info Use the forums as you need to for questions and stick to the Faq's as much as possible. Good Luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,838 posts in 31,279 topics over 95 months by 13,529 of 14,306 members. Latest: Camoo, nobedbugs, PolkaBox