Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is this a tick, bed bug, or something else?

(12 posts)
  1. Amund1913

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 22 2011 16:54:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I just got bit by this bug and captured him with scotch tape. Any ideas on what it is? It has 8 legs... Maybe a tick, bed bug? I have a picture of it and the 1/4" red mark it left behind but don't know how to post the image. I could email it.
    Thanks!

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 22 2011 17:00:53
    #

Login to Send PM

8 legs is an arachnid so tick is likely It cannot be a BB as they are insects and have 6 legs.

Jim

3. Amund1913

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 22 2011 17:09:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I'm looking at it and am becoming less certain that the front pair of legs are actually legs. Maybe they are a antenna or something. They seem to be jointed forward while the others bend backward.

4. Amund1913

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 22 2011 17:22:41
    #

Login to Send PM

5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 22 2011 18:01:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Not enough details ...

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 1:11:32
    #

Login to Send PM

need a macro shot to be able to offer an ID

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  7. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 8:32:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Amund1913 – could be urgent because I think that's the right size that it MAY be a deer tick which can give you Lyme disease which is a serious and chronic ailment. Were you recently outdoors and in brush/vegetation such as by the side of a path or road? Deer ticks often position themselves on a plant near where humans or animals frequently pass, then hitch a ride, then feed slowly over a few hours' time, then eventually drop off. They're very small, I think very similar to the size of what your image shows. Impossible to tell anything for sure from that image but if the critter did bite you and leave a mark, deer tick comes to mind. The classic scenario is that the mark then becomes a bull's eye, but whether or not it does that won't necessarily indicate anything because bite characteristics are highly variable and unreliable as to what bit you. Anyway save the specimen, try and get a better photo to post here and/or get an expert to look at the actual specimen. If indeed it's a deer tick then supposedly you can easily head off the possibility of Lyme disease with antibiotics as long as you deal with it promptly. If you wait weeks or months until you have Lyme disease symptoms, as I understand it the antibiotics won't work nearly as well as of then as they will if administered within a short time after the bite.

Where are you located? If I recall correctly, deer ticks/Lyme disease are found anywhere in the USA, but for instance did someone say they aren't known to occur in, for instance, Australia.

As I said on one or two other posts, dealing with arthropods that can cause you to get sick can make bed bugs seem almost positively benign by comparison.

8. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 10:33:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, here's another obvious prescription: look at images of deer ticks online and see if they match your specimen, which you're able to examine, yourself, up close before possibly sending it to an entomologist.

Do you have a loupe – a good 5-10 power magnifying glass better than a regular magnifying glass, widely available for $5-$20? such as from jewelers, stationery stores, hobby shops, and so on.

See lots of images by Google searching «"deer tick"» and then clicking at the top on «Images»...

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22deer%20tick%22&hl=en&num=100&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=877&bih=735 .

Ticks have eight legs, as I think you're already aware. Bed bugs only have six.

If your specimen seems somewhat smaller than some of the deer tick images, be aware your specimen might be an immature stage not an adult.

Here's a website which appears to be authoritative:

http://www.aldf.com/deerTickEcology.shtml .

9. Amund1913

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed May 25 2011 20:54:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for this thorough help. I looked at the pictures and am quite certain that it is a deer tick. I was walking through an old overgrown cemetery in Maryland's Eastern Shore. Aparently this area has deer ticks. I found another one on me the morning after I posted this thread. The bite was not large and the tiny red mark has disappeared. Should I feel ok about it not making a bulls eye mark, or is there any reason to consider seeing a doctor?

10. roamer

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri May 27 2011 10:53:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I know two people who got Lyme disease. One almost died. He was so ill!! When I saw him he had withered down to almost nothing. Very sick. If it was me I would go into your physician right away and let him see the bite(s_)

11. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri May 27 2011 13:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Amund1913 - 1 day ago  » 
    Thank you for this thorough help. I looked at the pictures and am quite certain that it is a deer tick. I was walking through an old overgrown cemetery in Maryland's Eastern Shore. Aparently this area has deer ticks. I found another one on me the morning after I posted this thread. The bite was not large and the tiny red mark has disappeared. Should I feel ok about it not making a bulls eye mark, or is there any reason to consider seeing a doctor?

roamer - 1 hour ago  » 
    I know two people who got Lyme disease. One almost died. He was so ill!! When I saw him he had withered down to almost nothing. Very sick. If it was me I would go into your physician right away and let him see the bite(s_)

Amund1913 are you persuaded. Please go see a doctor that has expertise in this area and arrange for testing and/or treatment NOW so you don't get Lyme disease. If at least two deer ticks have now bitten you, the characteristics of the bite marks don't mean that much as I understand it, bull's eye or not, you might well have the disease bacteria now in your bloodstream.

Then also begin taking regular precautions not to get any further deer ticks on you, or if you can't avoid going into brush etc., then regularly check yourself so you find them and get them off you before they get around to biting – evidently they usually need a few hours to locate where they want to bite you, so if you inspect yourself at the end of the day you have a good chance of finding and removing them in time.

If you have not done so yet, read the other parts of that website, the ALDF website...

http://www.aldf.com
    http://www.aldf.com/faq.shtml
    http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml

...which looks very good to me, so you're familiar with various aspects of deer ticks and Lyme disease. Also I see they have a physician referral service which could help you find a doctor in your area that's knowledgeable about the topic.

Then please post again here to report about your appointment with a doctor – by, say, a week from today, okay?

12. Amund1913

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri May 27 2011 17:59:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again. I'm getting it checked tomorrow.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.