Is this a nymph? Video link added [expert ID needed]

(6 posts)
  1. Sammy

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 11:06:30
    #

Login to Send PM

We found this while inspecting the chest of drawers in our dressing room. We've had bites, but v few other signs, but I had a bed bug infestation years ago and am now v cautious. We hot washed our bedding and took most clothing to the laundrette/freezer last weekend. This weekend we're inspecting the rest of the house and that's when we came across this guy.

I can't decide looking at the video if it's a nymph or something else entirely. Would love help to ID it.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Player

2. Sammy

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 11:07:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Should have added- the video is of the bug under a magnifying glass, using my phone as a torch

3. Sammy

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 11:11:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Should have added- the video is of the bug under a magnifying glass, using my phone as a torch

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Player

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 23:13:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't do very well at identifying moving targets. Most of us probably do much better with a photo. The shape looks wrong for a bed bug but wait for an expert.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Sammy

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 5:21:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Sent the video to an exterminator and they have told us it's a plaster mite and the result of dampin our house.

Unfortunately they don't bite, so while it does mean we haven't found proof of bed bugs it doesn't explain what has been biting us so bed bug precautions and inspection is continuing.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 7:12:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Sammy - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sent the video to an exterminator and they have told us it's a plaster mite and the result of dampin our house.
    Unfortunately they don't bite, so while it does mean we haven't found proof of bed bugs it doesn't explain what has been biting us so bed bug precautions and inspection is continuing.

The exterminator is a bit off on the type of arthropod being an arachnid (plaster mite) when it's an insect. So not a mite, but a booklouse. It's always best to post a close-up of the unknown creature rather than a video.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,818 posts in 43,334 topics over 131 months by 18,996 of 19,572 members. Latest: April13Hincher, Bedbughell99, minicooper78