Is this a female or male bedbug?

(15 posts)
  1. Evilsqueakheads

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 13 2011 21:15:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I found this just now. Can you ID the gender?

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2204/scanj.png

I only had 1 set of bites a week, and I haven't been bitten in 11 days. Unless it laid eggs, it was the only bedbug I had.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 13 2011 22:45:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Great picture and in perfect focus.

Sadly however it is female and had previously mated although not recently as the traumatic insemination wound is healed.

The reality of this means that it could have laid eggs but I suspect you will know either way in the next 7 days. The fact that it has previously mated does not automatically mean that it is still capable of laying viable eggs so please do your best to remain calm and look on the positive side.

If you attention to detail is this good I suspect you may be more than capable of dealing with this light infestation without chemicals or with a very light application of DE.

Please keep us informed and try and think about how it may have been brought into your home in the first place so you can avoid the source in future.

Regards,

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  3. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 0:02:39
    #

Login to Send PM

"Sadly however it is female and had previously mated although not recently as the traumatic insemination wound is healed."

How can one tell from that picture please?

4. Evilsqueakheads

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 0:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I am actually very calm. This is good news if it hasn't mated recently.

It started living here between December 15th and December 21st. I was first bitten around December 21st. I live in a dorm, and there are multiple infested rooms on our floor. A Cockroach Pest control guy inspected all the rooms on the 15th, so it came in with him. I found this bug in the sink, same place where he treated. I believe that if it has laid eggs, then the nymphs have already hatched and I would be getting bitten. It only takes 10-14 days, right?

I already treated with DE around my favorite furniture. That's possibly why it's dead.

By the way, this picture is from a scanner at 4800dpi. It shows the belly of the bug, of course.

I have done another scan showing the back of the bug. Can you check if there are any trauma wounds here? Sorry I squished the abdomen a little while I turned it around. I hope that doesn't cause problems.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9346/scan1e.png

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 0:14:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless in NYC - 9 minutes ago  » 
    "Sadly however it is female and had previously mated although not recently as the traumatic insemination wound is healed."
    How can one tell from that picture please?

The process of traumatic insemination leaves a small area of damage on the underside of the females abdomen. This break takes at least a few weeks to heal up and in the case of the scan provided I can clearly see the after effect of mating and that it was healed completely.

David

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 0:20:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Evilsqueakheads - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Can you check if there are any trauma wounds here? Sorry I squished the abdomen a little while I turned it around. I hope that doesn't cause problems.

The male will never knowingly pieced the back of a female as the aim of the exercise is to inject in the region of the spermalidge so that the female can store the semen for later fertilisation.

Once eggs are laid they hatch in a 10 - 14 day period under normal domestic temperatures so yes anything laid would have most likely hatched out already.

Top marks for using the scanner, that one needs to be added to the FAQ as an idea as it has been a lot more useful than 90% of the images that people usually post and as i have said before we can only help if we have the data to look at in the first place.

Hoping its just the one unwanted visitor.

David

7. Evilsqueakheads

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 0:49:42
    #

Login to Send PM

How quickly do the wounds heal? Is there a possibility it was inseminated in early December, and it was pregnant when it first came in?

At least there wasn't a male that came in with it or else it would still be mating.

8. Evilsqueakheads

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 1:07:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Nevermind, I just read your post about healing time. Can they keep laying eggs for a while after feeding? I know there's a limit but I can't recall it off the top of my head. I still want to know if there's a possibility she could have been pregnant a month ago, and inseminated even earlier.

I know I react to adults and the later instar stages in a recognizable way (adults will give me golf-ball sized bites and develop in a specific way, nymph bites are about the size of a dime), but I don't know about early instars. Would I be detecting bites from her babies by now, if they existed?

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 1:46:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I wish there was a definitive answer but as bites are the least accurate and most variable aspect of bedbugs no-one can give you an answer other than the longer you go without a response the better. The most accurate thing however is to look for live samples, cast skins and faecal traces which are not variable and therefore the most accurate things to look for.

Given your reaction is greater than most I would say that things are looking on the positive sign that the issue is resolved but only time will tell.

David

10. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 6:01:14
    #

Login to Send PM

The male's abdomen tip has a different shape...

male's abdomen

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 7:35:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, the tip of the abdomen of the male is off centered; most people call it pointed while saying the female is not pointed. Actually the abdominal tip of the female is slightly pointed and symmetrical while that of the male is not. The male's tip is, of course, modified for traumatic insemination but this is seen on a ventral view. Nice, clear picture, EffeCi. Do you have a ventral?

Professional consulting entomologist/arachnologist in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids.
  12. Evilsqueakheads

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 7:59:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I knew it. I noticed the abdominal tip was slightly pointed, so I was hoping it was male.

13. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 8:57:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice, clear picture, EffeCi. Do you have a ventral?

Still waiting for ventral pics from friend that made dorsal one...

14. klo29

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Apr 2 2012 13:09:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! I’m a journalism student and I’m working on a semester project about bed bugs on college campuses. I was wondering if I could use your story as a part of my paper? If this is alright, I would need your full name and the college you attend. If you don’t want to give this information on this page, you can e-mail me at klo29@pitt.edu. I promise not to bother you at all unless I have questions regarding your story. Thank you so much!
    -Kelsey

15. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Apr 2 2012 14:14:26
    #

Login to Send PM

K: If you keep posting the same text on multiple threads within a short interval, the system may think you're spamming and block your posts.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,167 posts in 28,300 topics over 87 months by 12,192 of 19,347 members. Latest: falc2, jazzychazzy, MANthrax
Site Meter